Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BRNO ZH344

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
BRNO ZH344
      #73456 - 09/03/07 08:49 AM

In the midst of all this discussion of high priced exquisite double rifles, I hesitate to bring up my problem, however, here goes.

Last year I was offered a brand new BRNO ZH344 DR in 7X57R at a price I could not refuse. For those of you unfamiliar with the product, for years Zbrojovka Brno, located in Brno, Czech Republic, has been manufacturing break actioned guns available as O/U shotguns, combination (rifle/shotgun) guns and double rifles all based on a sturdy, if somewhat crude action. The O/U double rifles were available in 7X57R (ZH344), 7X65R (ZH348) and 8X57R (ZH349). There was also a more expensive sidelock model offered in calibers 7X65R, 9.3X74R, .375 H&H and .458 Winchester Magnum.

My rifle has free floating barrels, joined only at the monoblock, muzzle and fore end tip. With a scope mounted, the barrels shoot acceptable groups individually, but not together. Other DR's with barrel arrangements like this (Krieghoff, Tikka) have means of adjusting the points of impact of the barrels, and presumably my rifle does as well, but nothing in the literature which accompanied it described the process. I am hesitant to start experimenting when help might be avaiable. (Attempts to contact the manufacturer have not succeeded.)

If anyone has experience with the process, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yellowhammer
.224 member

Reged: 23/05/06
Loc: Texas
Re: BRNO ZH344 [Re: xausa]
      #84751 - 28/08/07 02:49 AM

bump...have one myself and wondered a bit about of the same, anyone?......

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
Re: BRNO ZH344 [Re: yellowhammer]
      #85395 - 10/09/07 11:23 PM

Check the Tikka 412 instructions at the top of these pages. It may be a like regulating mechanism. Go to the top of the Doublegun forum. It is about the 4th or 5th sticky down from the top. Good luck. Rustyzipper

--------------------
NMLRA Life, NRA Annual,DRSS, .......

Edited by Rustyzipper (10/09/07 11:26 PM)

xausa
.400 member

#267064 - 28/06/15 01:14 AM

As is evident from the date of the first posting, this question has been on the back burner for quite a while now. I still have not received an answer. The exhaustive and informative answer recently given to a similar question involving barrel adjustment on a Baikal O/U encouraged me to raise my question again.

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #267067 - 28/06/15 02:24 AM

xausa.
Post a pic of the barrels with the forearm removed and if possible a target showing individual impacts.
That would be a point to start from.

I am sure that you have tried a number of different weights, but my BRNO combo printed to the sights with the 175 S&B. I understand that regulating an O/U is somewhat different from an SxS.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #267100 - 28/06/15 10:53 PM

xausa,
I agree with the above, if you could show us a picture or two of the barrels without the forearm attached, we might be able to help you figure out how your gun adjusts. I can't believe that they would make an over/under that was fully adjustable and put nothing like that on their side by sides.
Bob

xausa
.400 member

Re: BRNO ZH344 [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #267103 - 29/06/15 12:21 AM

OK, I've been having trouble with my camera, but I'll certainly give it a try. I was using the same S&B ammunition when I got the results described. I have admittedly not tried handloading for the rifle, but I suppose that would be an option. My other DR's are regulated for factory loads, and I thought "Czech rifle with Czech ammunition" makes sense.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #267110 - 29/06/15 04:01 AM

That seems logical but may not be the proper load after all. Bob

xausa
.400 member

Re: BRNO ZH344 [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #267117 - 29/06/15 08:40 AM

In the course of locating the disassembly instructions, I found the original sight-in target for the rifle and it shows precisely the same shot distribution as I experienced. After removing the fore end, I was able to examine the barrel adjusting mechanism, and I think I understand how it works. Removing the fore end was a monumental task in itself, however, involving a long thin screwdriver and a very long thin screw. The fore end cannot be removed with the barrels mounted on the receiver, unlike any other O/U I have ever experienced.

My camera is taking photos with no problem, but for some reason when I transfer them to the computer they end up being displayed as 16 tiny images instead of one large one. I have pored through the instruction manual and can find no solution for the problem, so I guess I'll have to call customer service. Ugh.

Tom_H
.333 member

#267124 - 29/06/15 10:28 AM

My guess is that the muzzle gives windage and the middle elevation. If that is the case this is almost too easy. You wonder that if you find a load that really works, you redo the rifle with a rib In between the barrels and make it permanent.

Tom

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Re: BRNO ZH344 [Re: Tom_H]
      #267136 - 29/06/15 10:56 PM

I ordered a double rifle set from Krieghoff in 1970, while a student at the University in Freiburg. When it was delivered in 1971, I was surprised to find that the barrels were separated, much like the BRNO. The other two barrel sets, .458 WM and 20 gauge 3" Magnum, were completely conventional.

Since I had booked an African hunt that fall, it was too late to do anything about it, so I took it the way it was. Over the course of that five week hunt I gradually resigned myself to it, and have kept it that way ever since. I used it to take a lion, a leopard, a greater and lesser kudu and two eland. I suppose I have gotten used to the idea by now.

Krieghoff went to an arrangement where the top barrel was heavier than the bottom one, then gave up the idea of separated barrels altogether. My 9.3X74R sidelock double rifle has conventional soldered barrels.

At the same time they had a combination gun arrangement with the rifle barrel independently interchangeable. By loosening a screw on the monoblock the rifle barrel could be withdrawn and another of another caliber substituted. I took one to Africa, with interchangeable barrels in .30-'06 and .222 Remington and it worked as advertised.

Tom_H
.333 member

#267170 - 30/06/15 09:09 AM

Nice cat.

--------------------

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #267321 - 03/07/15 10:12 AM

I just now noticed: is that a rainbow over your left shoulder?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3842

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com