Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A couple of double rifle questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
A couple of double rifle questions
      #266821 - 22/06/15 05:46 PM

Hi All,
I’ve been shooting my double and have a few questions for those that can contribute.

I have a Merkel 140AE in .500NE, my first double and a nice one with upgraded wood, I’ve only had it a few months now and put about 100 rounds through it to try and get used to shooting it. The first couple of shots through it were an awakening, but through persistence and determination I’ve got my head around it and can shoot it pretty good now. And my fingers don’t bleed anymore after belting the front trigger or trigger guard. Why the trigger shoe edges are so sharp is beyond me, but thankfully the front is articulated. There is a noticeable step up in recoil from my .404 but it is manageable all the same and makes my .338 win mag feel very light now.

Anyway, I have shot a few groups at 35 & 50 yards and get groups averaging 60mm or just under 2.5” for 2 shots from each barrel. I do think these groups can be reduced as there is always one random shot which stretches the group to 2.5”, which I’ll take responsibility for. The thing is the groups cross, but only by one shot. The furthest left is a left barrel and the furthest right is a right barrel, the two centre shots cross and only just. I’m in two minds just to leave it as it is, but it also shoots low by 2.5” from the group centre, at both 35 and 50 yards. I’m considering dropping the load two grains to 104gns of 2209, or purchasing a lower front site to raise the groups as I’m not sure if dropping the loads will raise the groups enough.

I have to wait for some more 570gn Woodie soft points to come in before I proceed so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion till then.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
Re: A couple of double rifle questions [Re: BillG500]
      #266825 - 22/06/15 06:38 PM

Ask Malcolm.S Kym.J or Harvey.L You have those three guys right there at the range' they will sort out your problem for you .Harvey has been messing about with doubles for near forty years and the other two have a wealth of knowledge.

good luck

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: A couple of double rifle questions [Re: sbs470]
      #266831 - 22/06/15 09:46 PM

I'd certainly drop two grains out and see how she shoots.Crossing loads are often an indication of too much velocity. Have you chronied it?

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: A couple of double rifle questions [Re: gwh]
      #266842 - 23/06/15 12:23 AM

The chronographed loads read between 2070, 2080 which is a tad slow I guess. Hence the indecision to reduce loads.

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: A couple of double rifle questions [Re: BillG500]
      #266892 - 23/06/15 11:47 PM

Be worth giving it a go, a low drag exercise that may fix the issue, if it doesn't, you are no worse off but you have cancelled out one of the variables.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: A couple of double rifle questions [Re: gwh]
      #266922 - 24/06/15 09:49 AM

Seating depth adjustment might also cure the problem. Find out how much lead you have from the ogive of the bullet to the lands. You might also need to change powder. I have a rifle that printed one bullet higher than the other, changing the bullet nose shape cured that.
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2782

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com