Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A 400 Lee Speed.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: Old_Glass]
      #266824 - 22/06/15 06:29 PM

I've done the same thing and got some ebony for a fore end from the markets, talked the price down because the elephant had a chipped toe and then went home and cut it up.
I saw a video of a Lee Speed with a peep on the cocking piece. The peep was missing but the dovetailed base was still there, I think that design would be the go.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: DarylS]
      #266832 - 22/06/15 09:49 PM

Very nice!

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: Pretorius]
      #266864 - 23/06/15 11:12 AM

Quote:

Yes, very nice indeed, but.....the screws holding the peep sight don't match in the photo, did you fix it? Sorry , I can be a tit about these little things. Perfect work tho, all you need now is a pith helmet and steamer to africa.

Mr P

The screws were only temporary at the time. I have had lever headed screws made and when I have the loads sorted (after the weather gets past winter)I will finish timing and shaping them.

I have seen (and greatly admired) the bolt mounted aperture on the Lee Speed as I have done the stock work on a couple belonging to a friend with them mounted and I have one on my 7x57 but that was acquired when I was still in the work force and could afford such things. These sights were of my own design and from materials I had "under the bench" so only cost me some time at the bench. They have proved themselves to be very effective and will do the job.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: VonGruff]
      #266865 - 23/06/15 11:20 AM

As far as the ebony goes, there are no junk shops in the small village where I live and trips to the city are for the minimum time and for necessities only. I have managed to get a little from a good friend though, so the next couple of projects have the tip and cap sitting in wait. I have also been the recipient of some buffalo horn from a friend in SA, so have a couple of tips and a few caps there if I want to use them instead although they will be kept for a special project or two.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #266867 - 23/06/15 12:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, very nice indeed, but.....the screws holding the peep sight don't match in the photo, did you fix it? Sorry , I can be a tit about these little things. Perfect work tho, all you need now is a pith helmet and steamer to africa.

Mr P

The screws were only temporary at the time. I have had lever headed screws made and when I have the loads sorted (after the weather gets past winter)I will finish timing and shaping them.

I have seen (and greatly admired) the bolt mounted aperture on the Lee Speed as I have done the stock work on a couple belonging to a friend with them mounted and I have only on my 7x57 but that was acquired when I was still in the work force and could afford such things. These sights were of my own design and from materials I had "under the bench" so only cost me some time at the bench. They have proved themselves to be very effective and will do the job.

Very nice indeed - well done VonGruff, interesting, inovative and effective, I'll bet. Perhaps you should market them? Might sell a few right here.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: DarylS]
      #266874 - 23/06/15 12:50 PM

Thanks Darryl. The one downside to ths design is that if I want to remove the boltI need to loosen off the lever a half turn and lift the sight so the bolt can come back but that is a small thing as I have it so the general 100 yd setting is when the adjustment slot stops at the screw shank so when the bolt goes back in the sight comes down to its lowest setting and the levers tightened a half turn. While this may not be convenient for some I don't see the need for any further adjustment although there is room to make it to 1000yds. Set for a couple of inches high at 100, it will do to about 200 and that is as far as I will shoot open sighted anyway.
The time it takes to make and regulate is way more that would make a saleable project unfortunately.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
      #266879 - 23/06/15 02:43 PM

VG

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the cocking piece aperture sight you could post?

I've only seen what the base looks like.

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: BillG500]
      #266882 - 23/06/15 05:19 PM

This is one on a restock I did a while back. I expect to be getting the rifle back soon to fill the lobbing sight recess and reshape the wrist.

a genuine Lee Speed with bolt aperture and a couple of restocks I did.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #266884 - 23/06/15 05:29 PM

Awesome work VG!
The cocking piece peep, where did you dig that up from?
Is it off an original Lee-Speed?
93x64mm

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A 400 Lee Speed. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #266885 - 23/06/15 05:32 PM

One is adapted from a Lyman tang sight I think it was and had a fabricated base and I am not sure what the other one came from

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32972

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com