Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Salvaging Misaligned Barrels/Monoblock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Crusader68
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Baton Rouge, LA
Salvaging Misaligned Barrels/Monoblock
      #266414 - 14/06/15 08:59 PM

I had been working on a build for .450ne double in my spare time for about 2 months, and everything was going quite smooth but when I ream out my monoblock(using barrel set instead of building a new one) bad things happened.
Has the block clamped and mounted in my 4in milling vise and had everything center and lined up, using an indicator and a "spud" as show in Mr.Ellis's book. When I started reaming(using a carbide tipped reamer) the block shifted. I think my problem was cause by two things: one, I was a bit overly cautious about clamping down on the lugs as I was trying to be careful and not bend/break them, and two I had masked the lugs for extra protection but the surface of the tap is smooth and didn't allow for friction to help keep the block in place.
I will post pics of my setup and outcome shortly, but to sum it up it was nowhere near centered.
I curious if any one has any ideas or thoughts(constructive) on wether or not the block can be salvaged somehow?
Also I'm interested to see how those who have been successful mounted the block in the vise for reaming/facing.

--------------------
Erik S.
"... mais épargnez le visage"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Salvaging Misaligned Barrels/Monoblock [Re: Crusader68]
      #266423 - 15/06/15 05:08 AM

Thought via Ellis Brown. He has mentioned recently of making shoe lumps for the barrels.
It would consist of the lumps and the flat of the monoblock, but most of the monoblock would be milled away (3/4"+ radius?) and the barrels brazed to that. The entire rib would need to be remade including the extension but at least the lumps might be able to be saved.

Before looking at the above, how far can you ream them out to clean up the holes? You can still solder rifle barrels in and that would be a lot of surface area.

Good luck
Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #266438 - 15/06/15 08:38 AM

First of all, we can't make any kind of determination of the damage done without really good quality close up pictures. Then you will need to compare the barrels stub size to the bores that are already in your monoblock and give us accurate measurements. If you are not willing to supply these things up front then I, for one, can't help you.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
      #266443 - 15/06/15 08:58 AM

If you can see the run out and the hole is at final diameter then just make new mono-block. It will be the fastest and best solution. Do you own a set of parallels? I would want to set up my piece so I clamped it with one side touching the rear jaw, the other side facing the movable jaw and the parallels supporting either the breech or the muzzle. Clamp it firmly and leave enough extra material so finish is not an issue.

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Salvaging Misaligned Barrels/Monoblock [Re: bouldersmith]
      #266456 - 15/06/15 11:21 AM

As stated above. Send Pix.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1199

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com