Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another BREVEX Mauser added - 450 Ackley - Rare Stockmaker

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Another BREVEX Mauser added - 450 Ackley - Rare Stockmaker
      #266082 - 08/06/15 09:55 AM

Hello folks,

Its been a while since my last post so I thought to share this discovery from earlier this year.

This rifle was originally listed on ARMSLIST.

NOTE: - I CAUTION EVERYONE ABOUT ARMSLIST BECAUSE I HAVE DISCOVERED MANY FRAUDULANT LISTINGS THERE - SEVERAL LISTINGS I FOUND WERE FOR RIFLES THAT I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED FROM OTHER SITES - THEY WERE BEING OFFERED AGAIN ON ARMSLIST AT BARGAIN PRICES, EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE RESTING COMFORTABLY IN MY SAFE - SO, BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL BEFORE SENDING MONEY.

The listing was s follows:

I called the seller and found him to be a very nice man that I had dealt with before. (I purchased my 10.75x68 Mauser from him a few years earlier) He described the rifle and sent a few pictures. Here is what he said;

Brevex Mauser Magnum Action - M.300 #281
450 Ackley Magnum caliber
26" APEX Barrel
2nd forward recoil lug - bottom of the barrel - under rear site
Timney Trigger (no safety)
10lbs 13oz
Win Mod 70 Super Grade Safari Sights
4x PCH Lyman All American Scope

He went on to say that he thought the stock was made by Monty Kennedy, the Author of "Checkering and Carving of Gun Stocks" (or perhaps it was a stockmaker listed in the book - he wasn't sure)

Here is what I got:

This was a really nice looking rifle built in the 1960's on a French BREVEX Mauser action.

For those not familiar with the cartridge, the 450 Ackley Mag is a step-up from the 458 Lott. It is like an "improved" version and it holds about 10% more powder.

You will notice that the stock does not have any reinforcing cross bolts. The stockmaker instead dovetail spliced-in 2 "cross-grained" pieces of maple in the area between the triggerguard and the magazine opening. It is a little hard to show in the pictures - one piece is spliced from the top, and one from the bottom, with a web of the original stock in-between the two. The fit is absolutely perfect.

Only a Master stockmaker could accomplish such work with flawless borderless checkereing, a whimsical outline around the cheekpiece flare, and perfect metal to wood fit.

But who? One hint comes from the grip cap. The grip cap is rosewood with a black ebony "diamond" inlay. Although a diamond inlay is used by many stockmakers today, it was originated by a Master Stockamker in the 1940's who ultimately went to work for Roy Weatherby. Roy described him as "My first, and Best stockmaker, ever." He was the one that designed the classic Weatherby stock for Roy, and today all Weatherby's carry his diamond mark.

And there is his maker's stamp, just ahead of the forward recoil lug recess in the barrel channel. "LG Mews" That is Leonard Mews, with much written about, and by him, in Monty Kennedy's book.

On a final note, this rifle was received without any safety. And although I genreally never mess with a rifle builder's work, when it comes to safety, I do. I added a Winchester Style safey schroud with a 3-position safety, with a "second" safety that locks the safety lever in place. Some refer to this as a "stalking safety."

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Another BREVEX Mauser added - 450 Ackley - Rare Stockmaker [Re: buckstix]
      #266085 - 08/06/15 10:15 AM

Those cross bolt subsitutes are neat! I like them!

Heh, must be a great stock maker to sign his work

Nice pick up! How many Brevex's do you have now?

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: Another BREVEX Mauser added - 450 Ackley - Rare Stockmaker [Re: Ash]
      #266087 - 08/06/15 10:26 AM

Hello Ash,

Thanks for the reply.

Only 5, and still looking.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com