Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bird hunting in Europe.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Bird hunting in Europe.
      #26552 - 19/02/05 10:44 PM

Up here in Norway we have several types of birds that are hunted. Ptarmigan up in the mountains, mainly above the treeline, together with woodcock and Capercallie which are found in the forests up to areas bordering the treeline are a few types that people here enjy hunting.

Below are some pictures from september 2004:

Ptarmigan:

A woodcock (with an English Pointer sitting next to me):

We find that hunting these birds is mostly walking and not much shooting, but it's still good fun, and one of my favorite types of hunts as I enjoy being high up in the mountains.

Do any of you other posters hunt birds?

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Re: Bird hunting in Europe. [Re: EricD]
      #26553 - 19/02/05 10:48 PM

A few more pictures of Ptarmigan hunting:

Erik

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
      #26563 - 20/02/05 01:22 AM

Great pictures Erik, thanks. What is the shotgun by the way? I'm intrigued by the cheekpiece.

Unfortunately, I don't appear to have any pictures of my bird hunting, I never think to take a camera along.

My bird hunting is generally walked up Pheasant and Partridge with some occasional Pigeon decoying and VERY occasional Duck and Geese. My favourite Shotgun is a beautiful George Gibbs circa 1927, which I virtually stole because it had a cracked stock that was repaired by Gibbs by cross-bolting. The previous owner "Didn't think it looked right"! Thanks, I'll take any you don't like the look of at the same price anytime!!!

My other "rough work" field gun is a Berretta S56E, which I tend to use if the gun is likely to get some serious beating e.g out on the marshes after the geese.

I know there are ptarmigan and capercaille in scotland but they are scarce and expensive to hunt, ( at least in the areas I used to go ).

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

EricD
.416 member

Re: Bird hunting in Europe. [Re: Metswedi]
      #26567 - 20/02/05 05:41 AM

Metswedi,

The shotgun with the cheekpiece is a Sauer-Suhl in 16/70. While the other (in the top post pictures) is a Beretta 471 Silver Hawk in 20/76 with 28 inch barrels.

Erik

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
      #26571 - 20/02/05 09:15 AM

Nice! Always fancied a 20 bore. What manufacturer's 16 bore ammunition are you using? 16 bore shotguns are getting harder and harder to find round here these days.

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

EricD
.416 member

Re: Bird hunting in Europe. [Re: Metswedi]
      #26572 - 20/02/05 10:02 AM

I've been using Norma shells. Specifically one called "Nittedal Spesial" in US# 6 and 7. (I don't think these have been available abroad?). This is basically because I've had quite a lot of them laying around!
16 gauge shotguns (and ammo) are becoming less and less common over here which is a pity cause they work well on these types of birds. Nowadays it's 12 and 20 gauge that dominate.

From this year on, all lead shot is forbidden here in Norway, so people with older 16 gauges that can't handle steel shot will have to go over to Bismuth etc. That is if they don't have a stash of "illegal" lead shells... Just make sure you don't get caught using them!

In 20/76 I've mostly used Federal ammo, although early in the ptarmigan season I use 20/70 cheap trap ammo since the birds fly up pretty close.

I like using a 20/76 gauge since with the hunting up here, the shotgun is carried more than it is shot... The light weight makes hiking all day no problem. Not that a 12 gauge is heavy for a grown man, but a kg or so lighter is nice no matter how big and strong you are IMO!

Erik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1696

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com