Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Blaser
      #230573 - 28/05/13 12:53 AM

The title of this in itself conjures up emotions of Love and Hate. There seems to be no middle ground with Blasers. In my youth I was a fan, I had a Ultimate (SR850) "Sheep Hunter" in .270win. Later a "Exclusive" in .30-06 and 375H&H. I found them odd and at times finicky. I had skipped the R85's and had just one 93 for a short time. I loved them at the beginning and grew to not like them so much. They became "big" and "american"......not great traits in a sporting rifle.

Here is there latest newsletter...............

http://news.blasernews.de/ff/display.php?msgID=2124465091&adr=bridgepointartisan%40msn.com

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Blaser [Re: Caprivi]
      #230579 - 28/05/13 01:44 AM

I don´t like, somebody could....

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #230581 - 28/05/13 01:55 AM

Quote:

The title of this in itself conjures up emotions of Love and Hate. There seems to be no middle ground with Blasers. In my youth I was a fan, I had a Ultimate (SR850) "Sheep Hunter" in .270win. Later a "Exclusive" in .30-06 and 375H&H. I found them odd and at times finicky. I had skipped the R85's and had just one 93 for a short time. I loved them at the beginning and grew to not like them so much. They became "big" and "american"......not great traits in a sporting rifle.

Here is there latest newsletter...............

http://news.blasernews.de/ff/display.php?msgID=2124465091&adr=bridgepointartisan%40msn.com

Ironic you posted this--have a friend who is interested in getting one..stated he sees them quite often in hunting camps/...have looked at one myself..curious how they would be in a quick firing response to dangerous game..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Blaser [Re: Ripp]
      #230591 - 28/05/13 08:18 AM

That is one hideous rifle. Nothing against Blaser but I have always had a dislike for full stock rifles (to be honest this is better looking to me than 99% of most classic full stock rifles). Years ago I owned one of their LRS2s and it was a nice rifle, super accurate. The straight pull bolt is smooth and fast, just grab it and pull back until it stops and then shove it forward until it stops. The safety system is also nice, especially for a field gun, with the cocking/decocking system. I've been tempted to get another in standard R93 or R8 configuration but just have not been able to buy into them from a price standpoint, initial cost and barrel conversion just seems high to me. I'd rather go custom instead.

Now the Blaser shotguns? I'll never give up my F3. Well, if someone wants to give me a new K-80 Sporting or Pro Sporter for it then it's a done deal. Of course I'll just sell the K-80 to buy another F3 while pocketing the several thousand dollars that's left over.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #230612 - 28/05/13 01:20 PM

Quote:

Ironic you posted this--have a friend who is interested in getting one..stated he sees them quite often in hunting camps/...have looked at one myself..curious how they would be in a quick firing response to dangerous game..

Ripp

I have seen many in camp as well when I guided. They are intriguing to the globe trotting hunter.
Many of these men (a few women as well) are very, very good at what they do for a living. This usually has nothing to do with riflecraft. They have have the disposable income to buy a Blaser that fulfills there desire of high-tech. Most I have guided had a 300win(or WBY) with a 416rem barrel. Some had a light caliber (22-250, 243win) as well.

15 or so years ago when Blaser made a BIG push for the US market, there 93's became "american-ized" and all the major hunting clubs/organizations (B&C, SCI, Dallas Safari, RMEF, etc....) got plenty of them for fundraising practices. They became fashionable to own.

I have owned them, used many of them, like there high-tech, like there forward thinking....blah, blah, blah.......But I don't "like" them. To me that are enough mis-shapen to have a ton of recoil. Moderate chamberings pummel me and big ones......yikes, no thanks.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #230613 - 28/05/13 01:30 PM

I borrowed one in the UK recently.

It was an R8. Not the 93 which the poms reckon has the 'bolt through the back of the head' issue due to the angled locking system. I have no idea really, just what I heard. They do seem to be very popular over there.

It was an intriguing rifle which I would have liked to have spent more time with. It was alien, new and bloody accurate.

Edited by tophet1 (28/05/13 01:32 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Blaser [Re: tophet1]
      #230624 - 28/05/13 08:09 PM

I have had good success with mine and no problems thus far "touch wood".
Here are just some of the results with the R93 Attaché;

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Blaser [Re: ozhunter]
      #230626 - 28/05/13 09:11 PM

Now that's an impressive display of trophy photos. The break down for transport feature, is a huge attraction.

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Blaser [Re: tophet1]
      #233014 - 27/07/13 03:02 PM

Great pics Aushunter!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser [Re: ozhunter]
      #265319 - 21/05/15 05:01 AM

Guess my question is answered..they work and work well..

Ripp

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #265347 - 21/05/15 09:24 PM

Can't argue with success.

But I have to agree with " I just don't like them"".

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser [Re: Rell]
      #265350 - 21/05/15 10:53 PM

Quote:

Can't argue with success.

But I have to agree with " I just don't like them"".

Have you used one??

Ripp

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #265373 - 22/05/15 09:03 AM

Fair question.

Ii have used two at the range a 223 and a 375. The stocks where short but I had a slip on pad so over all very usable.

The safety thing took a while to get the hang of and they both where pretty dark accurate. A pretty good tool overall.

Here is the thing, the aesthetics where not to my taste. It's personal but it does not have the feel of a double or the elegance of a single shot or the special something of a custom 98 express styled rifle.

Why do I like tall red heads and avoid voluptuous brunettes?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #265377 - 22/05/15 10:35 AM

I did not think it was actually possible to avoid voluptuous brunettes, I at least seem to be magically attracted to them.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Blaser [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #265380 - 22/05/15 01:11 PM

Interesting to see this thread pop back up and re-read my post from two years ago. I still think the Blaser has a place (not for the more traditionally minded though). In the last couple of years I haven't shot a Blaser rifle but I do have a confession to make. Not long after my post I found a nice K80 shotgun that I shot really well which made me sell my Blaser, I've since moved to a K80 Pro Sporter which I've shot for the last year and a half as my competition gun.

Anyway, back to rifles. Most recently, I've become a convert to the Desert Technology SRS rifles. I haven't had a chance to use mine hunting but they are exceptional accuracy wise and caliber conversions are more reasonable than the Blaser (I have .308, .243, 6.5 SAUM and .338 Lapua). Only drawback is weight and maybe the bolt configuration (bullpup).

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Blaser [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #265398 - 22/05/15 07:26 PM

The brainchild of engineer Meinrad Zeh, the R93/R8 is "good modern" rifle…that isn't built like a rifle.
Conception is innovative, construction uses the same modern manufacturing process than for making your washing machine.
I'm not fond of that assembly of light metal, plastics and cast engraving but I owe to the true to admit that, with its quick detachable and interchangeable barrels, it's a good rifle for travellers.
However, even if it's a very nice tool, for me it lacks a soul.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Ripp
.577 member

#265415 - 23/05/15 01:55 AM

Quote:

Fair question.

Ii have used two at the range a 223 and a 375. The stocks where short but I had a slip on pad so over all very usable.

The safety thing took a while to get the hang of and they both where pretty dark accurate. A pretty good tool overall.

Here is the thing, the aesthetics where not to my taste. It's personal but it does not have the feel of a double or the elegance of a single shot or the special something of a custom 98 express styled rifle.

Why do I like tall red heads and avoid voluptuous brunettes?

Well I am going to give one a whirl for a while. Seems as earlier stated, people either love them or not so much..

I feel it's just like tall red heads and voluptuous brunettes, everyone should have at least one..

Ripp

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #265425 - 23/05/15 10:46 AM

IMO, The R93 was the biggest piece of rubbish ever to grace a Gunshop rack.

Primers backing out, misfires probably due to the action not being rammed home that last 1 millionth of a mm...the agent finally gave me my money back.....cant imagaine what pocessed me in the first place!!

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Blaser [Re: paradox_]
      #265461 - 24/05/15 10:48 AM

As a new Blaser owner and hunter I'll chime in on this one.

I first got the idea from using a mates R93 in New Zealand - had a 308 barrel and a supressed 222 barrel - shot a few goats with it and quite enjoyed the action and ergonomics.

A couple of years later, he took a thumbhole stocked R93 to Africa on a trip we did together and used it on a number of plains game animals.

I had thought about the idea for a while, then this year decided to sell a couple of my other factory rifles and give one a go.

I opted for the R8 professional success (thumbhole stock, synthetic).

With a 6.5 x 55 and 30 06 barrel it covers all of my medium game hunting. I have to report that it is obscenely accurate with anything I care to feed it.

I was out two weeks ago with the 3006 barrel and an aim point scope walking creek lines on my main Far north Queensland property in search of a pig or two. I shot a half decent boar on the run in thick grass - four shots in around 3 seconds - they are bloody quick to get rounds off with - in this case with shots through thick cover it was warranted and the result was good.

Later in the day, I walked in on a spring which has some heavy cover thinking there may be a pig laid up in the mud. As luck would have it a very solid scrub bull was observed in the thick stuff. With a 3006 and 150 Gr corelokt softs I was somewhat under done but with 5 quick shots to make sure plenty of damage was done in the boiler room, he was on the ground. This was all at 10-15m - no test of accuracy but certainly a test of the ability to shoot quickly and in a circumstance where I needed the rifle to be 100% reliable. It was. These can be either top loaded or loaded in the mag so a quick top up in the heat of the action is nice and fast.

Walking out of the spring a feral dog took off on my flank, at around 120m I put lead in the air and connected - a fair bit of luck given the dog was going flat out but it was certainly a good end to the day.

I have shot quite a few Chital deer, and other dogs and pigs with it aswell as a few bunnies. Suffice to say, I am pretty happy with it - it is very functional and ergonomic - Certainly my most practical repeating rifle. I have open sights on my barrels too which adds a nice bit of redundancy should something go wrong with an optic in the field. I obviously have other rifles which I love to carry in the field, but I am finding myself picking up the Blaser on a regular basis. Quite a few mates who have picked it up and had a shot are considering them also.

Cheers

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8542

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com