Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger #1 Issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
TN_Longhunter
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: Lebanon, TN, USA
Ruger #1 Issues
      #265064 - 17/05/15 12:50 PM

I have a Ruger #1 in 9.3 X 74R that I picked up second hand. The first time to the range I had to use a rod from the muzzle to tap the breech, through the fired case, to get the firing pin to release from the primer, where it was stuck. This happened twice which was all I tried to fire. I had an issue with this before in another rifle and it was a headspace issue that required the barrel to be turned back. Thinking this was the issue with this rifle I called Ruger and found out the rifle left the factory as a .223 Rem. So, I have a rebarreled, non factory rifle where the firing pin sticks. Into the safe until I figured out what to do with it. Today I got it out, primed a case, chambered it, pulled the trigger and I had a stuck firing pin. If it was a headspace issue it shouldn't stick when just popping a primer, right?

So my question is headspace, broken firing pin spring or just a dirty firing pin assembly that needs cleaning? Headspace means a trip to a smith, broken spring means a trip back to Ruger and dirty assembly means I break it down and do a major cleaning. I'm hopping for the latter. Any help here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: TN_Longhunter]
      #265065 - 17/05/15 01:03 PM

I would have a look at the firing pin and its spring first and give it all a good clean. The pin will release best with a nicely rounded point and every bit that sticks through the breech block polished like a mirror.
hope this is of some help.
Underlever.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: underlever]
      #265067 - 17/05/15 02:36 PM

Quote:

I would have a look at the firing pin and its spring first and give it all a good clean. The pin will release best with a nicely rounded point and every bit that sticks through the breech block polished like a mirror.
hope this is of some help.
Underlever.

As above. Check the cocking mechanisim in case some part is out of order. Nothing else comes to my mind as to the possible cause after just firing a primer only.

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: Rule303]
      #265074 - 17/05/15 04:26 PM

Did the firing pin just get stuck in the firing pin indent on the cartridge or did it actually pierce the primer?. If it has pierced the primer then the tip of the firing pin may be either gas cut or have a divot in it from the escaping gas. By divot I mean a slight bulge near where the gas had cut into the firing pin. Usually when a firing pin pierces a primer high pressure gas escapes through that hole and usually whttp://forums.nitroexpress.com/grabnext.php?Cat=0&Board=single&mode=showflat&sticky=0&dir=new&posted=1431837388&page=0ill gas cut the firing pin. Frank

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: FrankS]
      #265075 - 17/05/15 05:12 PM

The No.1 is quite easy to take apart and check.

Instructions are available on their website if you don't have them.

Cheers,

Chris

Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: Rockdoc]
      #265076 - 17/05/15 05:34 PM

Check that the firing pin isn't to long.If the rifle's been rebarreled it may have had other work done to it aswell.
Striker protrusion is normally around 060" from the breech block when fully out or in the fired position.

Mark

TN_Longhunter
.224 member

Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: Pugwash]
      #265158 - 18/05/15 12:06 PM

Thanks to all that helped. Glad it seems to be a fix I can do. Will clean and check the firing pin protrusion. After that I'll report back.

TN_Longhunter
.224 member

Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: underlever]
      #265180 - 19/05/15 02:46 AM

Update; Removed block and started cleaning. First blasted with one of the canned cleaners. Then in the sonic cleaner. Block assembly was very gummy so I thought this was the cure. When I first pulled it out the pin had to be forced back into the block, after cleaning it was easy to push in. However, during re-assembly the firing pin fell out. All done over a secure surface to catch small parts. Close inspection reveled no firing pin spring. Call to Ruger. Spring is a factory install fix only and when I told them it had been rebarreled based on previous call they said the repair department would not touch it. Suggested I call Jack One, which I did and ordered two springs (just in case).They will in in the mail this afternoon so by the end of the week I should have everything fixed (I Hope).

I did try another primed case. Stuck, BUT a slap on the butt and it released. Much easier then before so I'm half way there.

Edited by TN_Longhunter (19/05/15 02:56 AM)

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Ruger #1 Issues [Re: TN_Longhunter]
      #265202 - 19/05/15 02:25 PM

That's great news.

Why would they remove the firing pin in the first place? Maybe they replaced the block?

Cheers, Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3419

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com