Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express
      #264768 - 10/05/15 06:33 AM

I just couldn't resist the opportunity of owning a genuine British African cartridge at such a reasonable price. It's my first Ruger No.1 as well. I had read all the posts regarding the Ruger's abysmal trigger pull and was all prepared to grit my teeth. However, I was happily disappointed. (can you be happily disappointed?) The trigger on this No.1 is spot on. It's the right weight of pull for this caliber. There's no creep and no over travel. In fact, it's one of the nicest out of the box triggers I've run across. I'm not even going to bother twiddling the adjustment screws.

Against my better judgement, I ran the numbers through a recoil calculator and was a bit stunned to see the numbers it spit out are about 4x my M1. So with great deal of skepticism I went to the range and touched off a few of the Hornady factory loads I bought with the rifle. You know what? They're every bit of 4x my M1.

Wow! Does this thing put'em down range! It's almost intoxicating. However, after running through the 20 round box, I slowly realized that I'd lost the use of the left side of my body (left eyed shooter here). I'm now actively looking for a "sissy" pad. I expect that the money I saved by not needing a trigger job will be spent on buying Past Recoil shield. Someone please tell me they work...

As I refuse to pay $90.00 per 20 rounds of factory ammo...OK, I can't afford to pay $90.00...I added the appropriate Hornady die set and NOE bullet mold to my reloading inventory.

I'm not completely sold on the factory sights. I might try a Skinner or XS peep sight.

All in all I'm really thrilled with the rifle and caliber.

Nice to make all you folks acquaintance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: AbitNutz]
      #264772 - 10/05/15 08:42 AM

Welcome to NitroExpress, it's the home for a vast range of experience from Single Shots to Double Rifle owners with decades of experience between them. Reloading is the best way to save a few dollars but hey, this is a better way of smoking than cigarets.

Enjoy the site,

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #264773 - 10/05/15 09:08 AM

Welcome to Nitro Express.

You forum name is apt for puting 20 Hornady factory loads of 450-400 through the No.1.:-) The No1's stock is great at passing the recoil straight to you and I have found the Hornady factory loads in 416Rigby to boot noticeably harder than my homeloads, yet my homeloads are 100 to 150fps faster.

That rifle with any good recoil pad will be a great shooter and the calibre is truely an all time great. Enjoy owning and shooting it.

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: Rule303]
      #264776 - 10/05/15 09:47 AM

Yes, welcome to NE!
I think you will find something like a kickeez pad will help.
Also, if you are reloading, you could load up light loads with cast bullets which saves $$$ and your shoulder.
I still have to change the safety on my No.1s. Don't know if you have jacked your thumb on yours or not but that seems to be a worthwhile alteration as well.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: Huvius]
      #264784 - 10/05/15 11:40 AM

Yes, a warm welcome to NE.com.

I had considered buying a No. 1 in .450/.400 but ended up finding a wonderful Army & Navy Farquharson in .450/.400 3-1/4" NE, so I bought it instead. I haven't shot mine with full nitro loads. I have found it to be sublime with the same nitro-for-black load I use in my Woodward Automatic. That lead bullet load is plenty good for anything in the Lower 48. You can read about my rifle and the load I am using in this thread:

Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE

You will enjoy your rifle much more using a load similar to mine.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

AbitNutz
.275 member

Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: CptCurl]
      #264789 - 10/05/15 04:50 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I'm a little confused on the history of the Ruger No.1 design. Is it unique or is it a warmed over Farquharson? Or perhaps, some other single shot? The lines of the Farquharson are certainly, to my eyes, the most beautiful of any rifle, single, double or bolt.

I've constructed(ok, my wife has constructed)an appropriate sized bag filled with rice that I'll use while shooting from the bench...as soon as full function returns to my left side. I'm sure I've now developed a huge flinch...I have managed to keep my thumb in tact. Of course, now that I'm cognizant of the danger, I'll be sure to tear it off completely.

What modification can be had for the No.1's safety? Anything to save me from myself would be greatly appreciated.

Cpt Curl, I've dutifully copied your load into my reloading recipe book. I'm one who's been very nervous regarding fillers. Can I give me the particulars about what you're using? Maybe a picture? It seems that putting 50gr of powder in a 100gr case would require a filler. I have read that the exception seems to be powders like 5744.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #264792 - 10/05/15 07:22 PM

AbitNutz. Welcome.

I will send you photos of my 450/400 No. 1 safety treatment. Works very well.

I also had an express rear sight made for it.

Cheers,

Chris

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: Rockdoc]
      #264793 - 10/05/15 10:26 PM

Try a Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad. I put one on my #1 in .375 Ruger and it works a tree. I also bought an Evoshield shirt with a conformable recoil pad built in. "course, the damn thing still kicks, I just don't flinch … too much.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#264794 - 10/05/15 11:16 PM

Quote:

Cpt Curl, I've dutifully copied your load into my reloading recipe book. I'm one who's been very nervous regarding fillers. Can I give me the particulars about what you're using? Maybe a picture? It seems that putting 50gr of powder in a 100gr case would require a filler. I have read that the exception seems to be powders like 5744.

In the first post to my thread on the Farquharson there is a link to an earlier thread in which I discussed my load.

You are quite correct. I am using two 1/2" diameter x 1" long foam wads cut from 1" bats of seat cushion foam purchased from WalMart.

Here's a copy of the link I am referring to:

Quote:

I gave some details of my first try with the rifle on this thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=185045&an=0&page=0#Post185045

Believe me, I have cast thousands of bullets. For the price of the bullets I am using, I'm buying and not casting.

I hope this helps.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Edited by CptCurl (10/05/15 11:20 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#264798 - 11/05/15 12:12 AM

P.S. Here's a view of the James Woodward "Automatic" double rifle I referred to. I posted it on NE.com also, but couldn't find it right off.

James Woodward "Automatic" double rifle .450/.400 3-1/4" Express

It's a black powder express double made in 1891. It was later submitted for nitro proof, but it still is a BPE, and so wonderful at that. As I said, I shoot it nitro-for-black.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #264801 - 11/05/15 12:35 AM

There is a new .450/.400 #1 Ruger at the guns how this weekend, Curl- plain wood nowadays, though. I was looking at it too. Interesting round.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #264802 - 11/05/15 12:39 AM

Quote:

I just couldn't resist the opportunity of owning a genuine British African cartridge at such a reasonable price. It's my first Ruger No.1 as well. I had read all the posts regarding the Ruger's abysmal trigger pull and was all prepared to grit my teeth. However, I was happily disappointed. (can you be happily disappointed?) The trigger on this No.1 is spot on. It's the right weight of pull for this caliber. There's no creep and no over travel. In fact, it's one of the nicest out of the box triggers I've run across. I'm not even going to bother twiddling the adjustment screws.

Against my better judgement, I ran the numbers through a recoil calculator and was a bit stunned to see the numbers it spit out are about 4x my M1. So with great deal of skepticism I went to the range and touched off a few of the Hornady factory loads I bought with the rifle. You know what? They're every bit of 4x my M1.

Wow! Does this thing put'em down range! It's almost intoxicating. However, after running through the 20 round box, I slowly realized that I'd lost the use of the left side of my body (left eyed shooter here). I'm now actively looking for a "sissy" pad. I expect that the money I saved by not needing a trigger job will be spent on buying Past Recoil shield. Someone please tell me they work...

As I refuse to pay $90.00 per 20 rounds of factory ammo...OK, I can't afford to pay $90.00...I added the appropriate Hornady die set and NOE bullet mold to my reloading inventory.

I'm not completely sold on the factory sights. I might try a Skinner or XS peep sight.

All in all I'm really thrilled with the rifle and caliber.

Nice to make all you folks acquaintance.

Abit - the PAST recoil shields (standard magnum model) are wonderful at absorbing recoil. I was still able to shoot my .375 and 9.3 with torn cartilage fore and aft in my right shoulder, and continue doing so until it healed up or probably muscles strengthened up, over time. I even wore it shooting my muzzleloaders, although it was not needed, except for the 14 bore.

There are 2 thicker models than the standard magnum, but the 'lop' becomes too long for me. I'm only a little guy (compared to some).

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

speed
.224 member

Reged: 28/03/15
Loc: alberta canada
      #264806 - 11/05/15 03:11 AM

Just bought a ghost ring and sourdough front sight from New England Custom Gun (NEGC)
I had to rub on the front sight with a file to insert it in the ramp.
The aperture is a bit small (for me) considering its distance from the eye (will fix with a drill).
I also bought a safety TROP,looks nice .I'll let the gunsmith do that one.

--------------------
BAM!

Rockdoc
.400 member

Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: speed]
      #264946 - 14/05/15 12:14 PM

This is the safety I had made for the 450/400 No.1

Edited by Rockdoc (14/05/15 12:14 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #264950 - 14/05/15 04:39 PM

Rockdoc, that looks great. I used a Ruger no.1 in .30-06 in Africa a few years ago and took quite a few head of game with it but I hated the safety and the trigger was only OK. Your safety looks a lot better. Met a swiss chap hunting who also had a Ruger n0.1 (canīt remember the calibre) He had altered the safety like you, mounted a Doctor red dot sight and a new trigger, a Kepplinger. The whole outfit was very sweet, best

Rockdoc
.400 member

Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #264951 - 14/05/15 04:46 PM

Thanks Mike. It is a nice safety to use. I prefer the H&H style but this is very good.

The trigger was modified at the same time and is very crisp.

It is a shame the fit and finish of the No.1's I have seen the last few years is not a patch on the mid '80's or older.

Dies will be sent early next week. Have 6.5mm too!

Rgds, Chris

AbitNutz
.275 member

#265015 - 16/05/15 01:56 AM

I just installed a safety from "Trop" on my Ruger No.1. It pretty much just dropped in with minimal persuasion. I like it quite a bit better. The forward part doesn't overhang like the stock safety did. It looks much cleaner.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com