Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A couple of Rooks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
A couple of Rooks
      #264637 - 07/05/15 01:55 AM

I've been the caretaker of these for a few years now and enjoy the .22, but my wife has expropriated the .298 Minex, except when I get to reload the empties for her.

;-)

The first is a Robert Hughes & Sons-retailed Francotte-Patent damascus octagon-barrelled rook rifle which was probably originally chambered in one of the small rook calibers, and later sleeved / PARKER-RIFLED to .22 Long Rifle. The barrel carries nicely-engraved twin folding leaf express sights, marked 50 & 75, matching the 50% scroll engraved receiver & lever.

When it came to me, the action was almost completely filled with hair, grass seeds, caked oil & other detritus, such that the action would not cock or fire and it was hard to know the receiver was engraved or blued! Removed the internal frame of the action, let it sit in diesel for a few days, along with the barrel & receiver after removing the wood bits, blew them out with compressed air & it was as good as new again, except for having to replace the main spring, which had rotted out into 12 pieces! They converted the centre-fire action to rim-fire simply by adjusting the tongues of the cocking lever, so I could, I suppose have it re-chambered to .22 W.C.F. / .22 Hornet if I so chose.

The second is a George Bate retailed ovate-barrelled rook in .298 Minex. Its rear sight is a miniature Martini ramp sight. It is also nicely scroll engraved. Under the barrel is a small triangle I found after cleaning the ~120 years of accumulated grunge off it, after it came into my care, confirming my initial hunch that the rifle, chambered for a very obscure Westley Richards cartridge, had, in fact, been made, or at least finished by, Westley Richards. Quite easy to load for, as I simply use .32-20 brass necked down in my .300 Rook dies. After the initial sizing, I very seldom have to size them again, as firing does very little other than to remove the crimp, but then again, I am loading them very lightly, as the better half does not like to hear it bark too loudly when she shoots it, which is most of the time! I also had to replace the mainspring, although this one was only in 3 pieces, which jammed the firing pin forward, thereby tying up the action.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #264651 - 07/05/15 09:53 AM

Hi Old Rifle Nut,
Lovely little Martinis there. I am quite a fan of these small frame martini's. I have a couple of nice sporting small frame martini rook rifles.
Mine are probably a touch large in calibre for rooks. Although you can never be over gunned when chasing dangerous game.
I have a Tisdall which has been bored out and chambered for 44mag, an Adams in 44WCF ( Original chambering) a 380 which I have yet to clean up, and a 32WCF which I have been building for a couple of years in the same pattern as the English makers. They are lovely rifles.
One day I will have to work out how to post photos on here.
LesLeeSpeed

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #264662 - 07/05/15 03:16 PM

Why do you think that is a converted CF to RF?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: DoubleD]
      #264675 - 07/05/15 11:45 PM

Because the firing pin is centred in the breech block, unlike on a BSA where it is off-set, and the old stains on the face of the breechblock.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #264684 - 08/05/15 04:34 AM

Very nice.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #264691 - 08/05/15 06:54 AM

The firing pin should only be off set (to one side of the action, not up or down) if it has been converted to rimfire poorly !

Other wise it will always be in the centre & only the lever tongs/ears or block lumps adjusted.

BSA .22's have less taken off the block cut outs & the block sits slightly higher & if you look at the top of the block it is rounded down to match up with the action.

Sportco just off set the firing pin in their conversions.

I have a nice little Rook that was a 297/230 Morris & some one just sleeved the chamber only to .22LR & off set the firing pin I thought it would be rubbish, but I shoot the Hell out of Bunnies with it, the peep helps me see the front sight .

Your rifles are real beauty's, thank you for showing us, I wish any of mine were as nice !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: Sarg]
      #264703 - 08/05/15 04:02 PM

Quote:

I have a nice little Rook that was a 297/230 Morris & some one just sleeved the chamber only to .22LR & off set the firing pin I thought it would be rubbish, but I shoot the Hell out of Bunnies with it, the peep helps me see the front sight .

Hi Sarg,

we might have talked about this in the past (?) but I am interested in the .297/230 Morris as I have a Victorian Colonial Police Martini-Cadet rifle in probably that calibre. Always have planned to get it shooting in some form or other.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: NitroX]
      #264737 - 09/05/15 11:37 AM

I dont think we have touched on that subject before NitroX, it is my understanding that cases can be made from 22 Hornet, from what I have read how ever most of the bores on these are stuffed, my other one is so bad it stuffed the block also, that BP is mean stuff, fun to shoot but Shit to clean up !!

Put a tread of your one up !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: Sarg]
      #264763 - 10/05/15 01:29 AM

Quote:

Put a thread of your one up !

I will but it won't be until early June as got too much happening till then. Remind me if necessary.

I won't be trying to get mine shooting for a while longer as their are other big priorities to get shooting in the next couple of months.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: A couple of Rooks [Re: NitroX]
      #264769 - 10/05/15 07:30 AM

A sweet pair of rifles, I particularly like the Huges but that is just personal opinion. It would be nice to take for a leisurely stroll.

Thanks for the post.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com