Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
pc375
.224 member

Reged: 24/04/15
Loc: Vic
9.3x74R Double Brand Question
      #264213 - 26/04/15 10:12 AM

Hi there,

I am thinking about ordering a double rifle in this caliber. I am leaning towards the Chapuis UGEX but would also consider the Merkel.

I think the UGEX has ejectors and maybe from pictures looks a little nicer on the eye than the Merkel, but examples of either make may vary.

I would rather the most durable of the two brands. I do prefer a longer barrels.

I would also want the option of mouinting a Trijicon RMR/Doctor or Aimpoint Micro on either one as my eyes are not as good as they once were and as I get older I might have no choice. So of these brands which is easier to mount one of these small red dots on ?

I have a specific purpose in mind for the 9.3x74R double so if I mount an optic the red dot is what I'd prefer over a scope...plus they dont ruin the lines quite as much IMHO.

I will eventually own two doubles the 9.3x74R and a .500 Nitro or maybe a .577 Nitro

I will have to sell off a few rifles to make this happen !

Thankyou

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: pc375]
      #264223 - 26/04/15 01:40 PM

PC375, SxS Merkel doubles can all be had with optional ejectors and the O/U come with them as standard. You should be able to fit an Aimpoint H30S or a H30L onto the Merkel guns, they are far better the Micro, I use a H30L regularly and they are fantastic.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

pc375
.224 member

Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #264225 - 26/04/15 02:17 PM

It's a hard choice which of the two makes is the most rugged ?

I'm not fond of the merkels with the Bavarian style stock either.

I'm not sure of the price difference but if one was significantly cheaper than the other I would sway that way.

I think I prefer the chapuis but have no knowledge to back my thought up.

So you can't put a aim point micro on you have to mount one of the hunter series ?

Thank you

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #264235 - 26/04/15 10:14 PM

Which one fits you better? I dislike the look of the Merkel stock, but it does seem to fit me very well. I don't know much about the Chapuis but I have owned several Merkels, a Blaser, and one Heym (soon to be joined by a second Heym). The most outstanding so far for accuracy has been my Merkel in 9.3x74R. I drilled and tapped the rib and mounted a scope and i can reliably ring the 12" metal gong at 300 yards with both barrels. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards, i simply aim at the top of the gong at 300 yards and hit it every time. On paper at 300 yards, the individual barrel groups print about 6" apart and are on the same horizontal plane. To mount a Trijicon RMR, one needs to purchase the Trijicon mount for custom rifles with a 14mm rib. Then one needs to find a good gun smith/machinist that can mill the correct 60 degree groove on eithe side if the rib and a blind locating hole on top of the rib. My Heym was already set up with the grooves and the blind locating hole right from the factory and the correct mount is the mount for custom rifles with an 11mm rib.

On the Chapuis, I do not know how wide the rib is. One can always drill and tap and mount a weaver rail for easy mounting of optics however this tends to make the Trijicon RMR sit just a bit too high and makes lightning fast handling and target aquisition a little slower because the sight does not naturally find a place between one's eye and the target without adjusting of one's cheek weld to find the red dot.

Back to your original question, my understanding is that Chapuis and Merkel are within kissing distance of each other from both a price and build quality perspective. I am absolutely convinced that the Merkel won't disappoint you wrt to a quality build and accuracy. The only criticism I have about Merkels is that my bore scope reveals some atrocious chamer reaming work that leaves smeared lands in the throat area. I've experienced no accuracy problems due to this to-date however.

Incidentally, my go to double is my 9.3x74R Merkel.

I dislike the Blasers and the more I learn about doubles, the more I dislike them.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #264259 - 27/04/15 10:40 AM

I used to own a UGEX Chapuis in 9.3x74r. Its a toss up between them an Merkels, both are good. I've heard about slightly less reliability issues with the Merkels in general.

I attempted to mount a Trijicon on my Chapuis but had difficulties trying to get a workable mounting arrangement. My rifle was set up for EAW pivot mounts for a scope, but couldn't come up with an arrangement for a Trijicon. That was 7 odd years ago so things might have changed since then.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

pc375
.224 member

Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: Chasseur]
      #264274 - 27/04/15 08:05 PM

Folks it seems in 9.3x74R the Merkel 140 (model available here in Australia )does not have ejectors, is this an issue ? Does it make the chapuis a better for resale ?

What issues does the chapuis have ?

The merkel will be cheaper.

Edited by pc375 (27/04/15 08:09 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#264279 - 27/04/15 10:13 PM

PC375, according to the catalogue all models come with optional ejectors.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

pc375
.224 member

#264281 - 27/04/15 10:17 PM

Thank you

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #265596 - 27/05/15 10:27 AM

I've had a Merkel 140E-1 9.3X74R for about ten years and have never had a problem with it. It is well regulated, and has selective ejectors, and a set trigger on the right barrel. This rifle has become my favorite double for just about everything short of Cape buffalo. I also have a Merkel 14-2 Safari 470NE that exhibits the same reliability as the little 140E-1. I've had this one for about 8 years also with zero problem.

I've never owned a Chapuis rifle but have many friends who do own them, and I have never seen any thing to go south with any of them and they seem to be very accurate. I find the Merkel 140E-1 to be a bit better balanced for me, and the weight at 8.3 pounds to be just fine for carrying all day, and steady in hand for instinctive snap shooting. I find the Chapuis and the Merkel 141-1 to be too light for the 9.3X74R chambering because it has shorter barrels and is made on a 28 ga size frame.

All personal preferences and I'm sure most would be happy with any of them.
...............................Mac

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #265771 - 01/06/15 10:39 AM

I'm considering a 9.3x74 with an extra set of 20ga barrels in an O/U Verney-Carron.
Certainly worth considering;

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: ozhunter]
      #265820 - 02/06/15 12:01 PM

That is a very nice little combination gun! I think you will get a lot of use out of it in OZ!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #265834 - 02/06/15 05:30 PM

Ozhunter, apart from that Bavarian stock that looks a great little combo, what are the weights with the shot barrels and the rifle barrels ? Thanks, Mike

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #265836 - 02/06/15 07:03 PM

Mike, it's quite light with the rifle barrels ( looking at it for the lady) but don't have the actual weight yet.

MickoC
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: ozhunter]
      #269511 - 22/08/15 09:58 PM

Sweet looking rifle and 20 guage tubes add to the apeal

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: MickoC]
      #269727 - 28/08/15 11:31 PM

I saw the rifle Ozhunter is holding at the SHOT Show. A VERY nice rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tah
.224 member

Reged: 19/10/15
Loc: Norway
      #272144 - 26/10/15 12:47 AM

Hi, first post here. Great forum!

I've had an Chapuis UGEX for about 25 years that I've used on most game here in Norway. I've brought the Chapuis to Africa on a Plains game hunt as well. It's a great rifle and scoped with a Leupold 1,5-5x it has great accuracy.

Tore

[image][/image]

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: tah]
      #272145 - 26/10/15 12:51 AM

Welcome Tore, very nice rifle with a very nice moose, great photo as well. Some more photos of you rifle would be great.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #272147 - 26/10/15 01:21 AM

The new Chapius has removable sections of the rib for scope mounts. I put Weaver mounts on mine, a ugex in 9.3 x 74. Mounted a scope and then a red dot. I change them back and forth. The Weaver returns to zero as well as other mounts. I can use the irons with the bases in place.

Dave

AZDAVE
.275 member

Reged: 12/02/09
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: nopride2]
      #272162 - 26/10/15 03:26 AM

I have a Chapius that is very accurate and just a joy to shoot, It was used on a large old cape eland and sable in May of this year. I have shot friends Merkel's in the larger calibers and they were all accurate and balanced well. I can highly recommend the Chapuis but think you willd be well served but either.

tah
.224 member

Reged: 19/10/15
Loc: Norway
      #272163 - 26/10/15 03:53 AM

Quote:

Welcome Tore, very nice rifle with a very nice moose, great photo as well. Some more photos of you rifle would be great.

Waidmannsheil.

Thanks Waidmannsheil, I'll see if I can find some more photos.
A double can be very versatile, my rifle is in 9,3x74R and even if it's my moose-rifle I've used it on roe-deer, fox, beaver here in Norway and oryx, impala, warthog and blesbuck in Africa. The Chapuis has a very strong boxlock and with great balance.

Tore

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: 9.3x74R Double Brand Question [Re: tah]
      #272977 - 10/11/15 07:31 PM

I have the Verney Carron Prestige in 9.3x74R and it is a beautiful rifle and is quite light for this caliber. The recoil is not bad. The two downsides of this rifle that could be addressed is the non adjustable sights. My rifle shoots about 6" low, so I had to shop around to find a lower front replacement sight.(Recknagle). The second issue minor as it is, it has a slightly curved but plate instead of a recoil pad. (Decelerator being fitted now).

It shoots very well with Winchester Ammunition (285grn) and Geco 255 grn. My hand load of 56grns of Reloader 15 and a Hornady 286 grn bullet off the bench will go into 2" at 100 yards.

After using it the first time I cleaned it using bore tech copper remover and found that the barrel finish was flaking off. As a result it went back to France to be repainted. Months later I got it back and after cleaning it again the finish is starting flake off again. I have been told that it will not be fixed again as I am using something to cause it to happen.

Beautiful rifle, accuarate and a pleasure to carry all day. Might need cerercoting as there paint finish on my rifle is not very durable. It is a keeper.

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9308

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com