Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ML porkchops

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
ML porkchops
      #264049 - 23/04/15 11:23 AM

Some time ago I set to work on trying out a cast bullet for a .500 smith in a fast twist .50 cal TC. That is still a work in progress but I did manage to take it out for preserve pork recently.

50 ml

I think that it was better suited for something in the size range of buffalo.

The slug not only passed thorough the pig but also took out a sapling and creased a larger tree behind it. As far as I know it's still going.

Did the coupe de grace with a .58 pistol and looking at the effects from that just may take it out for deer next year.

Cheers
Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by Tom_H (23/04/15 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: ML porkchops [Re: Tom_H]
      #264082 - 24/04/15 01:09 AM

Looking VERY good, Tom - well done.

Are you using that lube-soaked wad under the lubed slug? How's it shoot?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: ML porkchops [Re: DarylS]
      #264098 - 24/04/15 06:57 AM

Hey Daryl.
I doubt that it would have made much of a difference but The load chain is the slug with TC wonder lube, felt wad, 80gr of 777 (this time). May change the lube to beeswax, Crisco, olive oil as it would probably be less of a mess if I pan lube.
May have to put another thin wad between the slug and the felt as I get the occasional flyer and it may not be detaching consistently.

What really impressed me was the pistol which takes 50grfff behind a .570 ball. Accurate enough and clocks around 850. Not surprisingly it went right through.

Tom

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#264105 - 24/04/15 10:26 AM

Beeswax/Vaseline makes a very good bullet lube for both BP and smokeless powders.
I've used it to 2,200fps in a .45 and 2,000fps in a .50 (ctg. guns) with smokeless and up to 1,500fps with BP.
The Vaseline, a petroleum gelly shouldn't work, but it does and a LOT better than Paraffin.

All of my lube mixes with paraffin have failed, whereas the Beeswax/Val. in a 60:40 mix, works very well.

Also, SPG and Lyman's BP Gold also work well.

.58 pistol backup - cool!

A dry barrier between the lube and bullet might be a very good idea.
In BP ctg. when using a lube wad, I use a wax paper disk between the wad and the bullet.

Whatever goes between them, must not stick to the bullet, is all AS WELL AS presenting a flat surface to the bullet's base.

A 1/2" wad from Track (32 gauge?), or punched from gasket material, which is the vegatable fibre wad they sell I'm told, would work fine.

1/2" arch punch - cardbord, tablet backing - almost anything, flat and 1/2".

Best wishes

Daryl

--------------------
Daryl

Tom_H
.333 member

Re: ML porkchops [Re: DarylS]
      #264110 - 24/04/15 11:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was taught that petroleum based stuff wasn't compatible with BP and it created issues. I'll give it a try.
The .58 is a good hunting pistol. Having a better holster put together for it now.

The group is at 50yds

--------------------

Edited by Tom_H (24/04/15 11:10 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#264113 - 24/04/15 01:47 PM

The Vaseline/Beeswax mix does work well, Tom. No fear.

Also- I lubed some 200gr. Lee cast .REAL bullets in Lyman's Black Powder Gold lube and tested them in my cap-lock .45 Pistol.
They shot very well with from 20 to 40gr. 3F and I went back to loading and shooting tight ball and denim patched RB's without having to wipe the bore. I actually switched back and forth several times, never wiping the bore until I got home & cleaned it - cold water in the downstairs bathroom sink.(vent fan running, of course)

The last group shot with the pistol that day was at 38yards (target location) and I ended up with 5 in 1 1/2". Taylor was there with me noting I shot that group without my glasses. With the glasses, I managed a 4" wide spread of ball holes for 4 shots, took of the glasses and made a decent group. Without them, the group was centred and in the bull area. Obviously, I don't need the damn things for shooting - handguns, at least and can start wearing my shooting old glasses again.

Any time we can put them within 2" at any range between 25yards and over, our muzzleloaders are shooting better than most modern pistols are capable and that, from the Maxim rest or whatever they're called, Tom.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com