Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym 55B

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Kynoch
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/05
Loc: Iowa, United States
Heym 55B
      #26403 - 16/02/05 05:03 PM

Any thoughts on this model from Heym (9.3 O/U)? thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Heym 55B [Re: Kynoch]
      #26638 - 22/02/05 06:29 AM

Kynoch, anything Heym makes is quality! I have no experience with the 55B but it will be a quality rifle. It is simply I don't like the O/U configuration in a double rifle, for any Dangerous game hunting. The 9.3X74R, however, can be used as a real nice chambering for anything up to Moose (ELK, to Europiens) with out worry in an O/U. It also can be used for Dangerous game in many countries, but I would prefere a S/S double rifle in that case. Heym makes a S/S 9.3X74R as well, and that is something I do have some experience with, and would be my choice, from Heym, in that chambering. It might be a good idea to give Merkel, and Chapuis a look in that chambering! Both make this chambering in both S/S, and O/U, and cheaper than Heym, with the same features.

I wish I could be of more dirrect help, but I simply have no experience with the 55B!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Heym 55B [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #26690 - 23/02/05 01:16 PM

In reply to:

I don't like the O/U configuration in a double rifle, for any Dangerous game hunting

Mac,
You do tend to make this point quite often and I have to admit that you are not the only one with that opinion.
I would be interested to know the reasons as to why you think that way.

4seventy
Sponsor

#26698 - 23/02/05 03:57 PM

Kynock,
As Mac says Heym rifles are indeed good quality.
The 55b O/U should be a strong reliable double but has the drawback of being styled a bit on the bulky/ugly side of things.
Their SxS on the other hand is one of the trimmest/tidiest layouts you can get in a double.
It all depends on what you are looking for I s'pose.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Heym 55B [Re: 4seventy]
      #26704 - 23/02/05 05:04 PM

I much prefer the side x side.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Heym 55B [Re: 4seventy]
      #26811 - 25/02/05 06:52 AM

In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like the O/U configuration in a double rifle, for any Dangerous game hunting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mac,
You do tend to make this point quite often and I have to admit that you are not the only one with that opinion.
I would be interested to know the reasons as to why you think that way.

Allen, for the most part it is a personal preference, being that I simply like the S/S more than the O/U. There are technical reasons as well, and they are the reason I spicifically rule out dangerous game with an O/U!

The proper sequince of fire with an O/U double is to fire the bottom barrel first. As is reccomended by most knoledgable DG hunters with double rifle, you fire the first barrel, and quickly reload that barrel, so your rifle is not completely unloaded in the initional seconds of the fight, in case of a charge from another in the herd, or even the one you just shot. This is most often practiced when hunting in herds, where an empty rifle, even for a second can be disasterous, when the herd bolts from the first shot! The bottom barrel is the hardest to reload, since the rifle must be broken very wide, to expose the bottom chamber. Addtionally, the rifle recoils differently with each barrel, with the bottom barrel recoiling almost streight back into the shoulder, while the top barrel has a tendency to rise high being higher above the horizonal cg of the rifle. When reloading both barrels it is simply easier to reload both barrels on a S/S than it is to reload an O/U similtaniously. IMO, the system simply is not suited well to the job of defense weapon. This is not to say they will not work, but that they are simply not the best choice, IMO!

There some things I will not use when faceing a big "BITE BACK" in the bush,if I have the choice, where a double rifle is the best choice of weapon. They are an O/U rifle, an automatic safety, a single trigger, or any double rifle with a rimless cartridge. I can live with auto ejectors but prefere extractors. Others may use what ever they choose, however!

It is simply my opinion, a rifle designed for fighting big dangerous animals, in close quarters, should be as simple, and as idiot proof as it is possible to make it. IMO, that is a S/S double rifle, that fits the shooter, with two triggers, and a manual safety, and exractors, and is chambered for enough cartridge for the job at hand! If you are shooting DG at 100, to 200 yds, then any rifle will do, but dangerous game is not really dangerous at 100, or 200 yds. The double rifle is most valuable where the opponant is within 35 to 40 yds, in tight cover, especially in a herd sittuation. In that type conforntation, no fumbleing with an awkward rifle is a good idea. To me the O/U is more awkward than a S/S, and may cost you dearly!

Those are the reasons, I do not like the O/U for dangerous game, but then you knew that already, as I've stated it many time prior!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #26881 - 26/02/05 08:52 AM

I must admit I like the looks and handling of a SxS and agree that reloading the U/O is a lot slower, not the least because of the Kirsten cross bolt extensions.

BUT in a non DG rifle having the two barrels in the same vertical alignment is an advantage - for example my 243 Merkel regulates with 100gn projectiles with the scope on but also puts a 70gn projectile into the same group at 100m and a bit higher at 200m. This means I can use lightly constructed 70gn projectiles on rabbits and crows out to 300m with less worry about ricochets (?sp) and change to 100gn projectiles if a goat or pig puts his head up.

I'm currently tryin to set up my 375 H&H Belted Brno to shoot 350gn Woodleighs with the open sights and 250grainers from the upper barrel with the 4x scope. If the gods were being really friendly it might regulate 350gn projectiles with both the scope and iron sights, but I doubt it - the scopes makes 300gn projectiles cross badly while I get 2" groups at 50m with open sights and velocities between 2400 and 2550fps.

The U/O means that the scope is on in the horizontal plane at all ranges.

mike

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Heym 55B [Re: AussieMike]
      #26946 - 27/02/05 06:00 AM

AussieMike, I have absolutely nothing against O/U double rifles or shotguns. In fact, I own several of each. As well, I don't mind single triggers, or auto safeties on small, to medium bore doubles of the O/U persuasion. The reason is, I simply do not use this type of double for dangerous game, if I have a choice at the time of meeting them.

I keep hearing people say they find the O/U easier to find regulateing loads for! I find just the opposite to be true! I have little trouble finding proper loads for S/Ss, and less success with the O/U! Of course that really doesn't mean anything, I work with S/Ss more. I do find, in most cases, any double rifle with a scope, rarely will regulate well with both Irons, and scope with the same load. I have no objection to a scope on a double rifle, in fact, I have a couple that are so fitted. In the DGR doubles, I find my hunting loads that regulate as well as I can, with the express sights. Then I install the scope and zero it with the right barrel only. This method lets me carry the rifle either way, or to install the Qd scope when a very precise shot is called for, with the right barrel, where there is usually a soft point, for the first shot! This works well for hunting where the main target is DG, but it is nice when you run into a a fine Puku at 200 yds! Simply clip on the scope, and use the double like a single shot! Works for me!

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#26987 - 28/02/05 01:22 PM

In reply to:

I have absolutely nothing against O/U double rifles or shotguns. In fact, I own several of each.

Mac,
What O/U double rifles do you presently own regarding maker and chambering and also what trigger/s do they have and are they fitted with ejectors and do they use open sights or scope etc.

4seventy
Sponsor

#27200 - 03/03/05 03:48 PM

In reply to:

Those are the reasons, I do not like the O/U for dangerous game, but then you knew that already, as I've stated it many time prior!

Mac
Yes.
You have said here and before that with the O/U double rifles the top barrel recoils much higher and harder than the lower barrel and that with O/U rifles chambered for big dangerous game cartridges this upper barrel recoil is "vicious".

Tell us please about the O/U dangerous game rifles you used where you found this to be true?
What make and chambering and load etc?

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
      #27204 - 03/03/05 04:47 PM

If you live in Australia -good luck finding one.I looked into a 55 in 470 about a year ago.They were not at that time being imported and the ex agent who enquired for me with the German's led me to believe he was treated with contempt.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #27228 - 04/03/05 07:16 AM

A shop here has a beautiful sideplate model 55 with 3 barrel sets, 20ga/20ga, 20ga/30-06, 375H&H/375H&H with 2 scopes in factory claw mounts. Fitted case. Really nice engraving (full) and all 3 forearms match nicely. $14,500

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Heym 55B [Re: wombat]
      #27635 - 11/03/05 04:54 PM

In reply to:

I looked into a 55 in 470 about a year ago.

Wombat,
I think the way you went with the Searcy was a better way to go than the 55B.

Mac,
I guess my questions a couple of posts back must be to hard or something?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5290

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com