Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bowfishing asian carp

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Bowfishing asian carp
      #263822 - 19/04/15 12:21 PM

This is my son Jacob with a 55 pound Asian carp he got with bow and arrow yesterday.
It is his largest fish with the bow to date.
This carp was taken at Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee.
By the smile, I would say he was quite pleased!
(sorry for the low quality cell phone photo.)

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bowfishing asian carp [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #263835 - 19/04/15 04:47 PM

Well done. Big fish.

Guys, where did the carp in the Murray originate from?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: Bowfishing asian carp [Re: NitroX]
      #263902 - 20/04/15 12:53 PM

Nice fish Iowa 303, it's the biggest carp that I have seen and it's good to see them useful for something!

John, from the DPI website.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/carp/general-information

How did carp get here?
Carp have been introduced into Australia both deliberately, in an attempt to imitate the European environment, and accidentally, through the escape of ornamental or aquaculture fish.

In Victoria, the stocking of carp began as early as 1859, but early stocking attempts were not successful. In NSW, the earliest known introductions occurred near Sydney in 1865. In the early 1900s, fingerlings were used to establish several wild populations of carp around Sydney, including in Prospect Reservoir (where they still persist).

The timing and mode of carp introductions into the Murray-Darling river system is unclear, though there are early records of some carp being translocated from Sydney, and a distinctive orange-coloured ‘Yanco’ strain became established in the Murrumbidgee in the early part of the 20th century. Whatever the source(s), carp have been established in the Basin since at least the 1920s, although for some time they remained fairly uncommon.

In the early 1960s a new strain was imported for aquaculture and reared at a fish farm in Boolarra. These carp were stocked into farm dams near Mildura and soon spread up the Murray and Darling Rivers, assisted by widespread flooding in the mid 1970s.

Since then, carp have since gone on to radiate very successfully throughout the Murray-Darling system, including in Queensland and South Australia as well as NSW and Victoria. They have also been found in Lakes Crescent and Sorrell in Tasmania.

Many NSW coastal catchments now also contain carp, often koi which have escaped from backyard ponds or been deliberately released.

The spread of carp may also have been assisted by anglers illegally using them for live bait or illegally stocking them to create new carp fisheries. The fact that a distinct strain, unrelated to nearby populations, has been found in two dams in the Murray-Darling Basin (Wyangala and Burrinjuck Dams) suggests human introduction from a separate source.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Bowfishing asian carp [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #264221 - 26/04/15 12:15 PM

Bloody good sized fish! They one good thing about carp is they help take pressure off the natives.

I dont mind people bow fishing for carp, but when i see those huge alligator gar getting bow fished it ticks me off. The carp get big, put up a fight, and are numerous enough for some big number days

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1661

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com