Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British
      #262406 - 17/03/15 11:37 PM

Yesterday in the James Julia auction I became the new owner of a nice Westley Richards single shot rifle. This is the 1881 Deeley & Edge patent number 1241 of March 21, 1881.

This particular rifle is chambered in .303 British and equipped with the Westley Richards "Patent Detachable Barrel." Here is the auction description:

Quote:

WESTLEY RICHARDS MODEL 1881 PATENT SIDE LEVER FALLING BLOCK RIFLE WITH DETACHABLE BARREL.
SN 25134. Cal. .303 British. 27-1/2" Tapered round bbl is marked “WESTLEY RICHARDS & CO LONDON” on top. Right rear is marked “PATENT DETACHABLE BARREL 91;. Left rear is marked “FOR W. R 303 SPECIAL CARTRIDGE”. Bbl boss is stamped with SN, and triangle with point toward action, denoting a detachable bbl. Bottom of bbl is stamped with Birmingham nitro proofs, SN, and assembly no. "262";, which is also on breech face of action. Bbl is fitted with island base with integral one standing, four folding leaf express sight with folding ladder sight for ranges out to 1400 yards. Oval island front base holds silver bead. Blued 1881 action is marked “WESTLEY RICHARDS & CO” and “LONDON” on left, and with detachable bbl info on right. Sliding safety is on right side above trigger. Relatively plain, but dense, European walnut steel capped pistol grip buttstock measures 14-1/4" over steel buttplate with trap. Standard point pattern checkering is at grip. Vacant silver oval as well as a sling eye, a bit smaller in diameter than that attached to bottom of bbl, is on toe line. Matching forend with horn tip is fitted with early type heavy takedown iron, and Deeley release. Drop at heel: approx 2-3/8", drop at comb: approx 1-15/16". Weight: 7 lbs 1 oz. LOP: 14-1/4". PROVENANCE: Richard Schreiber Collection. Consignors notes and photographs of this rifle. CONDITION: Excellent, as refinished. Bbl and action retain nearly all of a sympathetic rust re-blue, with side lever and trigger group correctly bright blued. Stocks retain nearly all of a hand rubbed oil finish with some light marks, checkering cleaned up. Bore is exceptionally fine with sharp rifling throughout. Action is smooth. These side lever Westley Richards rifles are relatively scarce.

Photos:

I know it doesn't have as many barrels as I normally require on a rifle; but I must confess, I have lusted for a nice Deeley & Edge single shot rifle for many years.

Lastly, here is a scan of the action patent:

In-hand impressions and range report to follow! Can't wait to see how it does at 1,400 yards!!!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: CptCurl]
      #262407 - 17/03/15 11:39 PM

P.S.

Does anybody know the patent date for the detachable barrel?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
      #262414 - 18/03/15 12:42 AM

Nice Rifle Roscoe. The majority of them you see are in match configuration. I much prefer a sporter such as yours. Enjoy it! I know I would.
Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: bouldersmith]
      #262420 - 18/03/15 01:06 AM

Congratulations Roscoe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: NitroX]
      #262421 - 18/03/15 01:48 AM

That's gorgeous, Roscoe - you can bring that one along too, when you come up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: DarylS]
      #262423 - 18/03/15 02:23 AM

What a beautiful single shot, Roscoe.

Richard had some wonderful guns in his collection.

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #262445 - 18/03/15 11:36 AM

Quote:

P.S.

Curl

The patent for the lugged detachable barrel (#9711) is from 1894.

Very nice rifle Curl!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: Huvius]
      #262469 - 18/03/15 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

P.S.

Curl

Very nice rifle Curl!

Thank you for the reference. You are correct. Here is the patent entry:

I had assumed the reference to "No. 9711" on the side of the receiver was a patent use number, but it refers to the patent itself.

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my new acquisition.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #262473 - 19/03/15 12:00 AM

Nice pick up! I didn't realise that auction was on! What other goodies/interesting bits were there?

Cheers,
Ash.

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: Ash]
      #262515 - 20/03/15 06:00 AM

Another beauty for your .303 battery!

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: Ash]
      #262516 - 20/03/15 06:49 AM

Quote:

Nice pick up! I didn't realise that auction was on! What other goodies/interesting bits were there?

This one was there... soon to be here!

NICELY RESTORED EARLY WESTLEY RICHARDS MODEL 1881 MATCH RIFLE.SN 1059. Cal. .450 Westley Richards #2 (?). 32-1/4″ Heavy tapered round bbl with Rigby flat is marked “Metford’s Patent Rifling” on top behind island base with flip-up military type ladder sight. Front sight adjustable for windage, has interchangeable reticles. A sling eye is soldered to bottom of bbl. Unusual case hardened 1881 action has secondary cocking/ re-cocking lever mounted at rear of left side. “1882″ is marked in triangle on top of receiver ring. Action is engraved with 60% well cut scroll. Left side is engraved “Sole Manufacturers” “Westley Richards & Co” “London & Birmingham”. Right side is engraved “Deeley Edge Metford” “Patent Match Rifle”. Rear portion of tang is mounted with flip-up tang sight with elevation marks on left in spring loaded base. A similar base is at rear of stock, for back position shooting, and sight staff is interchangeable between the two. Lightly streaked and fiddle figured European walnut pistol grip buttstock measures 14″ over checkered wood butt with case hardened steel heel and toe plates. Point pattern checkering with double line border is at grip. A vacant silver oval and sling eye are on toe line. Matching forend mounts to bbl with captive side nail through oval silver escutcheons. Drop at heel: approx 2″, drop at comb: approx 2-1/4″. Weight: 9 lbs 9 oz. LOP: 14″. PROVENANCE: Richard Schreiber Collection. CONDITION: Excellent, as refinished. Bbl retains nearly all of a sympathetic re-black over scattered light pitting. Action retains essentially all of a nicely colored re-hardening, engraving still sharp and clear. Stocks retain nearly all of an old oil refinish with some light subsequent marks, checkering re-cut. Bore is good, with some pitting at breech end, lightly pitted and frosted throughout. Action is smooth. This interesting rifle is pictured and described on p. 147-148 of BRITISH SINGLE SHOT RIFLES VOL 4, by Wal Winfer.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#262526 - 20/03/15 10:57 AM

Huvius,

What a super nice single shot!!!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

HuviusModerator
.416 member

#262565 - 21/03/15 01:07 AM

Thanks Curl!
Seeing your fine takedown prompted me to check out the unsold lots from the same auction. Who would of thought that this one would go unsold (unless there is something very wrong with it which isnt obvious or disclosed).
I am drawn to these late 19th century match rifles lately (cartridge and ML) and I can load for it easily enough not to mention that the price seemed right so that I couldn't pass it up.
Anyway, such a rifle is always a welcome addition and more in line with my interests these days.

--------------------

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
      #262666 - 22/03/15 10:25 AM

Congratulations to you both!
Huvius,
What calibre is your rifle in? See attached pic of W/R #1 Carbine cartridges for Deeley Edge sliding block & W/R falling block 1 1/2 case. Is this the cartridge?

m4220

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: m4220]
      #262668 - 22/03/15 01:58 PM

By Golly M4220 I have a WR 1881 that those will fit in!

Not nearly as nice as the two above because mine is a full stocked military style.

When you other gentlemen get yours in hand, see if they'll eject the shells very hard like mine. It's almost like ejectors on a fine DR.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#262702 - 23/03/15 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

P.S.

Curl

Very nice rifle Curl!

As usual one of our great members has the answers! Always impressed by our members knowledge and resources.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#262703 - 23/03/15 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This one was there... soon to be here!

NICELY RESTORED EARLY WESTLEY RICHARDS MODEL 1881 MATCH RIFLE.SN 1059. Cal. .450 Westley Richards #2 (?). 32-1/4″ Heavy tapered round bbl with Rigby flat is marked “Metford’s Patent Rifling” on top behind island base with flip-up military type ladder sight. Front sight adjustable for windage, has interchangeable reticles. A sling eye is soldered to bottom of bbl. Unusual case hardened 1881 action has secondary cocking/ re-cocking lever mounted at rear of left side. “1882″ is marked in triangle on top of receiver ring. Action is engraved with 60% well cut scroll. Left side is engraved “Sole Manufacturers” “Westley Richards & Co” “London & Birmingham”. Right side is engraved “Deeley Edge Metford” “Patent Match Rifle”. Rear portion of tang is mounted with flip-up tang sight with elevation marks on left in spring loaded base. A similar base is at rear of stock, for back position shooting, and sight staff is interchangeable between the two. Lightly streaked and fiddle figured European walnut pistol grip buttstock measures 14″ over checkered wood butt with case hardened steel heel and toe plates. Point pattern checkering with double line border is at grip. A vacant silver oval and sling eye are on toe line. Matching forend mounts to bbl with captive side nail through oval silver escutcheons. Drop at heel: approx 2″, drop at comb: approx 2-1/4″. Weight: 9 lbs 9 oz. LOP: 14″. PROVENANCE: Richard Schreiber Collection. CONDITION: Excellent, as refinished. Bbl retains nearly all of a sympathetic re-black over scattered light pitting. Action retains essentially all of a nicely colored re-hardening, engraving still sharp and clear. Stocks retain nearly all of an old oil refinish with some light subsequent marks, checkering re-cut. Bore is good, with some pitting at breech end, lightly pitted and frosted throughout. Action is smooth. This interesting rifle is pictured and described on p. 147-148 of BRITISH SINGLE SHOT RIFLES VOL 4, by Wal Winfer.

An congratulations to Huvius as well.

I hope both of you gentlemen will post up photos of your rifles when you have them in your hands. Lovely rifles.

A .303 and a .450.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: NitroX]
      #262704 - 23/03/15 03:07 PM

Huvius - you can come along with Curl - bring yours as well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Re: Westley Richards Mod 1881 .303 British [Re: DarylS]
      #263630 - 16/04/15 02:08 AM

Since I kinda highjacked Curl's thread, I moved the .450 discussion to another thread.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com