Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A few words about the 9.5x68

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
A few words about the 9.5x68
      #263449 - 13/04/15 02:59 AM

Years ago, I'd think about the mid 1980's, I became bored with my .375/06IMP on a VZ98 action and Reinhart Fagen Claro stock. The stock, although beautifully marked in curl and flame, was very open grained and soft.

I had glass bedded it originally, when it was a .458 American back in the early 70's. The ".458 American" is the .458 Win. Mag. case shortened to 2". After 2 or more more 'fixes', splitting back through the bedding and wood which happened about every 1,000 rounds, I ground out the bedding(acraglass), yet once again, rebed it and put in 2 cross bolts, one behind the tang, one through the oft repaired recoil lug. This stopped the splitting for once and for all.

After shooting it for a few more years, around 1982 to 83?, I pulled the barrel, which had upwards of 12,000 rounds through it at that time, and replaced it with a McGowen 26" .375 tube that was chambered for the generic .375/06IMP.

After just a few years of shooting that one, a few thousand rounds, I had the bug for something 'better' in that bore size - a beltless magnun .375. I'd already had a .375H&H magnum BRNO and didn't want to go that way, so I borrowed my friend's 6.5x68S (Shuler) reamer. With a brass bushing on the neck of the 6.5 reamer, I ran the reamer in (by hand) a bit more deeply than normal to headspace on an 8x68RWS case cut off at the .375" datum line. I then used a Clymer Neck/Throat reamer to 'freshen' the neck and throat in my 'new' chamber. This completed my 9.5x68 chamber, a simple re-chamber on the original .375/06IMP chamber, by a round-a-bout method.

A friend gave me 20 or 30 RWS 8x68S cases, which I quickly necked up to .375 and fireformed them for my 'new' rifle. Loading in earnest started. This rifle was my test bed for the .223 brass, annealed and shortened to various lengths, cleaned then filled with lead for making bullets from 200gr. to 330gr. As well I shot cast bullets and also tested store bought 235's through to the 300 Barnes Spitzers and 350gr. Barnes round nosed thumpers with .049" jackets. I was a crazed experimenter - every day off (working 4on 4off and then 4on -6off shifts gave me what seemed unlimited time for experimentation, making bullets, casting, loading and shooting. I'm afraid I might have neglected my family while this experimentation was going on - not the first time, nor was it the last, I guess. This bothers me today. I seemed driven - perhaps something to do to relieve the stress of the work place,perhaps.

I found I was able to use .375H&H data, and indeed, ended up using .375H&H brass, shortened, then belts turned to .522" and fireformed for my 9.5x68. The cases would expand ahead of the belt to fit the new chamber and of course, they were trimmed to length - a bit shorter than the parent .375mag. case. Capacity of the altered and fire formed .375 mag. brass was a mere 3-4 grains over the .375H&H cases, thus some minor improvement in velocity was possible, perhaps 100fps.

After becoming bored with this rifle, I bent to pressure from a hunting buddy and sold it to him. He immediately had Huntington's make him a set of dies, called the 9.5x68 - so - they are on file, probably under "Keith 9.5x68" or perhaps, by calibre only. I had been using dies I'd cobbled up - even made my own "Hornady-like" straight-line seating die (before they came out with one). I still have it in the bin, and use it now and again with my current .375/06IMP (78gr.Cap. case)- or the 9.3x62 - works for both. Keith didn't want to use my junky dies, rather wanted 'real dies' - so - it should be a wildcat die # with RCBS.

His loads surpassed mine, with him achieving 2,900+fps with 270's and driving 235's well over 3 grande. After shooting a few moose with this beltless .375 Magnum, Keith sold it to his brother, who immediately started using 250gr. Barnes "X" bullets at something around 2,900+fps. They were marvels indeed, handily killing more moose, but no 'pocket' bullets to show for the kills - all exited, of course, no matter than angle, but kill well, the ctg. & bullet did. The brother had the barrel shortened and magnaported, but by then, it was showing signs of no wear as in no rifling left for about 4" or so, ahead of the chamber.

The new barrel was re-barreled and chambered using Keith's original 6.5x68 reamer along with my neck-throat reamer. At that time, about 1992, I guess it was, now that I think about it, I was doing the basket weaving course (tongue in cheek) due to burnout at the prison where I worked. I didn't get my reamer back from the gun smith who borrowed it and I did not trust myself to go after him for it, so I let it slide. I think even then, he might have been suffering from the onset of Alzheimer's which eventually took him. Oh well, Clymer, Manson and Pacific have more, if I ever need one again.

I was given the old barrel back, which I cut back to a 2" chamber length for the .350 Rem mag necked up, belt turned off, a .375 2" rimmed, I guess it is, put the barrel on a Styer straight pull action, made up the brass using .350 mag. & .45/70 cases (rims turned to .532") and had some fun with the totally worn out barrel. It would still put both 270's and 300's at around 2,200fps into a 1 1/2-2" group at 100 meters. Amazing what you can do, if you think about it, a bit. I broke the extractor on that Styer action, so with no parts available, I junked the whole process. That barrel probably had close to 16,000 rounds through it, in total- maybe more. It still resides in the 'old barrel' rack - just in case I need it again. I still have a whack of altered .350's and .45/70 cases for it.

So - the 9.5x68 - might have been the first, or one of the first beltless .375 Magnums. It's a great round and does fit in a normal M98 action.

When Ruger first came out with the .375 Ruger, some gun scribes initially said the head diameter was .522" - THAT my friends is the head size of the 8x68S. I thought - they've factoryized my wildcat - turns out they didn't go that way, but they could have, theirs was quite close, but a bit larger again, in diameter and 6gr. over H&H capacity, 2 to 3 more than mine - it's a small world, afterall, Cptn. Jack! LOL.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: DarylS]
      #263458 - 13/04/15 06:08 AM

Very interesting Daryl.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #265143 - 18/05/15 04:36 AM

Here is a picture. The boys told me they didn't have to remove the thick lump near the neck's base as it caused no trouble with the new chamber.

When using RWS 8x68 brass, the new 9.5 has the same capacity as a .375H&H, or up to 3gr. more if the .375 brass is RP or FED- IIRC.

With 9.5x68 brass made from .375 H&H brass(belts turned to .522"), the capacity is larger by 3gr. average.

.375/06AckleyImproved: 6.5x68S: 9.5x68S: .375H&H Magnum

The9.5x68S appears to not have been fire formed - yet.

--------------------
Daryl

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: DarylS]
      #265160 - 18/05/15 12:49 PM

Thank you Daryl, I love reading your posts.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Viking338]
      #266121 - 09/06/15 02:26 AM

Thanks to Daryl for getting the image of the 9.5x68 cartridge. I asked him if he had one some time ago and he went to considerable efforts to obtain one for us. Thanks Daryl.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: NitroX]
      #266128 - 09/06/15 05:01 AM

The .375 Ruger and Dakota will give you the same or greater powder capacity, are factory rounds with no need for special dies or reamers and will fit in a standard length Mauser 98 magazine.

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #266146 - 09/06/15 09:35 AM

Quote:

The .375 Ruger and Dakota will give you the same or greater powder capacity, are factory rounds with no need for special dies or reamers and will fit in a standard length Mauser 98 magazine.

Yeah, back in the '80s when Daryl was doing this, those .375 Rugers and Dakotas were just everywhere. . .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #266165 - 09/06/15 07:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah but who wants a Ruger or Dakota named cartridge.

I can't get the image of ugly absolutely aweful plastic stocks out of my head when hearing the word Ruger ... Dakota less so.

And has been stated our friend Daryl is a curve starter not a follower.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rhodes
.275 member

Reged: 20/09/11
Loc: NQ, Australia
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: NitroX]
      #266172 - 09/06/15 08:02 PM

Nice work Daryl

Makes you wonder why the Europeans didn't neck that case up to a 9.3

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Rhodes]
      #269510 - 22/08/15 09:53 PM

Hello Rhodes,

the Germans designed the 9,3x70 before WW2.
But it seems that the 9,3x64 was enough for the european game and used the standard length Mauser 98 system.
So the ballistic gain was small, but the needed substantial effort.

Reimer Johannsen in Germany offers today a 9,3x70 based on a 98 Magnum system, but the rifle is quite expensive.

best regards
Rolf

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A few words about the 9.5x68 [Re: Rolf]
      #269517 - 23/08/15 01:12 AM

I chambered the 9.5x68 on my old .375/06IMP (CZ M98) by simply using a borrowed 6.5x68 reamer and a Clymer .375 neck/throating reamer.

The case I obtained for 'John's' picture, was for that same 1st rifle, which actually received a new barrel in the 90's, also chambered with the same 6.5x68 reamer and my neck/throat reamer. The gunsmith who did this work for the 3rd owner, has since passed away, however he did so and never returning my neck/throat reamer.:(

The original 3 owners, myself and 2 close friends wore the original barrel out (several thousand rounds as a .375/06IMP before the rechamber) - producing over 3" of throat erosion. I don't know how many thousand rounds it went through all-together, but many by me were of non-annealed brass case jacketed bullets (using .223 brass). These might have been extra hard on the throat - or not? I started annealing them for more ductile bullets, perhaps too late, perhaps this made no difference?

The rifle is now with it's 4th owner, a close friend and relative of the second and third owners. I managed to obtain the case in the picture, from him.

I agree, the old 9.3x64 is a marvelous round, duplicating & possibly exceeding the .375H&H. With modern powders and handloads, the old H&H regains any lost ballistic ground, however I did and do prefer the beltless case, as many of you know - going back a LONG way, in fact to 1968 and my 6.5 Rem Mag., which was my initial belted disappointment in belts & FL Sizing. It however, taught me a lot - I was 18 at the time.

Everyone has or can have a .375 Ruger, a wad of money gets it. Not so easy with the wildcats. Anyone can buy one, but to shoot it, one must usually load his own ammo to start with. He or she should or must have a clear understanding of handloading rounds with no direction from the books.

Luckily for the 3rd and 4th owner of the 9.5x68, the second owner gave them a 'prescription' to follow without deviation, which was adhered to.
Seems to me, Bill is running around 2,900fps with 250gr. TSX's, not a max load, but he is happy with it on deer, moose and elk.IIRC

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3965

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com