Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R.
      #261606 - 04/03/15 12:25 PM

As I mentioned in my other post about my Army & Navy Lee Speed, I am down to only one #2 H.V.S.R. in my small collection.

This one is also a very accurate rifle, at least for me, with express sights. I especially like it with either some S.R. Custom 200 grain Spire Point Soft Point 0.314" bullets or my 215 grain BRTORNFPGCTL (Bore Riding Tangent Ogive Round Nose Flat Point Gas Check Tumble Lube) 0.314" as cast bullets using water-quenched old wheel-weights, that I designed and Accurate Moulds made the 5 gang mould for me (Accurate # 31-210H), in front of WC-735, using WLR primers in Herter's NOS brass.

As promised, here are some photos of it. Once again, I apologize for the quality of the photos, especially a lack of close-up photos of the engraving, but my tripod is at the cottage, the road to which is currently under 3 feet of the darned white stuff, and I have zero training in indoor firearm photography. (Ok, ok, enough excuses, I know).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #261609 - 04/03/15 12:50 PM

The photos are fine.
We will expect updates in the spring!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #261695 - 05/03/15 09:10 AM

IOWA 303
Sorry, no updates in the spring. Once spring has sprung, I pack up Molly (my black Lab), all of my rifles, flip the alarm and head to my cottage to stay until a bit before Christmas. (My wife comes out on weekends until July, then she retires from teaching & can also shoot a lot more!)

Then it's way too nice to be playing inside on the computer, despite how nice I've gotten it to be since we had the renos & expansion done in '11, when there's shooting to be done, fishing to catch up on, 4wd trails to explore, sun-downers to be drunk, &c., &c., &c.

The Trapper's Cabin Wall of The Great Room

The Great Room

Plus, we only have dial-up on the computer out there in the Boy's Room.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #261704 - 05/03/15 10:32 AM

Very nice.
One of these days I'll have to post pictures of my cabin in N.E. Iowa.
Lots of great smallmouth bass and trout fishing in the summer and hunting in the fall.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #262760 - 25/03/15 03:48 PM

Lovely. I've never seen such long handles on the Sandvik slashers; never seen them used as decorations either, but it looks like quite a few of those decorations could still be put to use in a pinch.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: Old_Glass]
      #262780 - 26/03/15 02:44 AM

We used long hangled 'brush hooks" Sandvicks in Northern Ontario in the Junior Forest Ranger Program (for 17 year olds) when I was growing up. My 'posting' was Ignace while my bro, the year before, went to Sioux Lookout.

Nice pictures, Old Rifle Nut! Bet that knotty Pine Cabin smells nice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: DarylS]
      #262806 - 26/03/15 07:18 PM

nice man cave, fond memories of slashers when i was a young apprentice clearing brush all winter,

greenshoots

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #262920 - 30/03/15 05:28 AM

Quote:

As I mentioned in my other post about my Army & Navy Lee Speed, I am down to only one #2 H.V.S.R. in my small collection.

This one is also a very accurate rifle, at least for me, with express sights. I especially like it with either some S.R. Custom 200 grain Spire Point Soft Point 0.314" bullets or my 215 grain BRTORNFPGCTL (Bore Riding Tangent Ogive Round Nose Flat Point Gas Check Tumble Lube) 0.314" as cast bullets using water-quenched old wheel-weights, that I designed and Accurate Moulds made the 5 gang mould for me (Accurate # 31-210H), in front of WC-735, using WLR primers in Herter's NOS brass.

As promised, here are some photos of it. Once again, I apologize for the quality of the photos, especially a lack of close-up photos of the engraving, but my tripod is at the cottage, the road to which is currently under 3 feet of the darned white stuff, and I have zero training in indoor firearm photography. (Ok, ok, enough excuses, I know).

That is one beautiful rifle , thanks for sharing !

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: My Last / Only Remaining B.S.A.Co. #2 H.V.S.R. [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #263061 - 03/04/15 04:02 AM

Actually, most of the tools on the wall are still able to be used, but I also have more modern tools in the garage.

I well remember sawing logs for the wood-burning cookstove with my Dad on the other end of the Swede saw teaching me how to use it.

I like long handles for both the CPR brush hook (big hook mounted on an axe handle on the left hand side of the wall) and the Sandvik slasher (never heard it called that, I always just referred to it as a brush hook). BTW, you can still read the SANDVIK name on the tool.

We went out there for as day yesterday to take a load of stuff out. Beautiful day. +17 C. Most of the snow gone. Came home exhausted & woke up to a blizzard here in Winnipeg this morning. So much for an early spring!

To Greenshoots:
Thank you. My son refers to the den as the man cave within The Man Cave! :-)

To German Pioneer:
Thank you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3806

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com