Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made
      #262467 - 18/03/15 08:33 PM

Some pictures of a 30-06Gvt. Mauser Stutzen we have just completed and of another one that's in the finishing stage.
The 30-06 has been treated in a modernized M type approach.
The in the white stutzen, while severely classic, is more DORLEAC styled. It has been built on an original kurz action we have barreled in .243W.
We took great care to reproduce the Oberndorf original sighting but the forearm treatment is more Schöenauer than Mauser.
Notice also the 22'' barrel.
We will appreciate your comments.

Regards to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

30-06Gvt. Mauser Stutzen

.243W Stutzen on Mauser Kurz action

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: DORLEAC]
      #262476 - 19/03/15 02:39 AM

It´s amazing how these old Mauser actions still is the backbone of a good customrifle. I´ll bet in 50 years time the topaction for a customrifle would still be from Oberndorf.

Thanks for sharing Dorleac.

Do you find these actions or does the customer bring them to you?. Just curious.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: rigbymauser]
      #262477 - 19/03/15 02:42 AM

Yes - thank you - lovely indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: rigbymauser]
      #262479 - 19/03/15 02:49 AM

rigbymauser,

We are lucky enough to have a small stock of these actions available.
Mainly standard length ones in various configurations, a few kurz and even fewer magnum.
However, if our customer prefers to provide its own action, we are glad to use it, indeed after close examination and control.
The action must be then squared, lapped and blue printed before becoming the basis of one of our rifles.

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #262486 - 19/03/15 06:30 AM

Absolutely fantastic.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #262510 - 20/03/15 01:09 AM

Very nice rifles indeed! I prefer the round bolt handle over the butterknife handle, I just think it works better for me. Thanks for sharing. Bob

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #262590 - 21/03/15 09:25 AM

Absolutely stunning, my friend! But then, we can only expect masterpieces from you!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #265154 - 18/05/15 08:25 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Homer]
      #266552 - 17/06/15 12:19 AM

Superb! Thanks for sharing.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: CptCurl]
      #266559 - 17/06/15 12:55 AM

Lovely rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #266563 - 17/06/15 02:23 AM

I certainly prefer the Kurz action .243 Winchester. There is something about the more open pistol grip which looks wrong with the double set triggers in the .30-'06 rifle. I don't care much for the panel treatment behind the bolt handle, either.

The .243 version is flawless in my opinion, although I shudder to think what kind of scope is envisioned for that dainty little carbine, given the location of what I presume is the base for the front mount.

My caliber selection would have been .260 Remington, which is almost a perfect duplicate of the original 6.5X54 Mauser cartridge designed for the Kurz action. I have been playing with the original 6.5X.308 cartridge for almost 60 years now, and its versatility as a result of the wide range of bullet designs and weights available is phenomenal.

I also wonder at your (or is it your client's) choice of a two position safety, when the much more elegant and utilitarian three position safety is so readily available.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: xausa]
      #266573 - 17/06/15 05:06 AM

Xausa, thank you very much for your kind words.
Like you I have a preference for the .243 Kurz Stutzen that is fitted with a light and compact 3-9x36 AV Swarovski scope on claw mounts.
Regarding the caliber, the .243 Winchester is a good choice here for roe-deer and chamois and it benefits on the Continent from a wider choice of factory loads, that rifle having been optimized for the RWS 96 grains KS cartridge https://rws-munition.de/en/rws-hunting-a...s.html#!0/43/33
The .260 RM is a nice round but I prefer the 6,5 Creedmoor that I use a lot and we have in the making a stalking rifle in that chambering, built also on an Original Mauser Kurz action.
Now, about the two positions safety, it's a matter of style and being more on the "Classic" side, I must confess that I prefer the look of the Mauser shroud to the more modern shape of the aftermarket three positions side swing safeties, with perhaps the exception of those produced by Ed Lapour.
To conclude, regarding the 30-06 rifle, one must understand that we must respect the choices and requirements of our customers, although we do not always agree with their options.
However it remains a beautiful and very accurate rifle, extremely pleasant to use.
If I had to build it for myself it would certainly not have been the same.

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #266588 - 17/06/15 09:02 AM

Does "Stutzen" merely mean "short rifle" or "short hunting rifle" or does it have to be a full stocked rifle as well?

Curious, I am.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #266594 - 17/06/15 01:58 PM

Both of my BRNO 602's have the Ed Lapour safety. My objection to the two position safety, other than the lack of an intermediate position allowing unloading /loading with the action on safe, is my feeling that the modified Mauser shroud is more open to the weather and dirt and grime.

I understand completely that you have to cater to the client's tastes. It is the client's taste that I deplore.

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #266595 - 17/06/15 03:53 PM

Quote:

Very nice rifles indeed! I prefer the round bolt handle over the butterknife handle, I just think it works better for me. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Yes wonderful work as always and as per Bob I too prefer the round bolt handle. But it's a personal thing for sure!

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Viking338]
      #266599 - 17/06/15 04:54 PM

Personal opinions: the forestock of the first rifle is too thick around the action and that and the straight line appearance do not match the classic curvatures of the butt and wrist. Butterknife bolt handles are not practical IMO. The second rifle corrects both of these very well.

Such a substantial looking butt would benefit from a large trap in the buttplate, and again, IMO that buttplate is too 'fat' looking for such an elegant and "English" butt. But this could be just the photos.

Mismatching numbers on old actions being reused should perhaps be removed?

I would rather have matching swivels personally, nor do I like modern "black" scopes on classic or classic-styled rifles. A vintage Zeilvier or similar is so close in optical quality to most modern scopes that I question the need for anything else.

Again, just my personal comments since the question was asked! ;-)

The materials and workmanship speak for themselves.

Edited by Old_Glass (17/06/15 05:02 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Old_Glass]
      #266600 - 17/06/15 05:26 PM

They both look beautiful to me. My only comment and it probably sounds ridiculous to you all, the wood on both seems too "reddish" to me but that maybe the light in the photos. best, Mike

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #266603 - 17/06/15 09:03 PM

Old_Glass, thank you for your comments.
The spoon bolt handle is the original one you will find on all "M" type Mauser and if we have retained the factory serial numbers it's to follow customer instructions.
He wanted a straight forend and the dimensions were dictated by the barrel length, magazine floorplate tilt angle, front swivel and muzzle cap.
As explained earlier we have to cater to the client's tastes and in fact the 30-06 rifle feels quite different when you get it in hands. It's much more slimmer than it appears on the photos, even if I haven't to apologize about its look that fully satisfy its owner.
The .243 is another story because it has been build on a kurz action with a longer 22'' barrel and Schöenauer style forearm…and more to our taste.
Regarding the buttplate, it is an old Al Biesen checkered steel one from the seventies and its size is slightly smaller than its European counterparts.
For info the swivels on the 30-06 are Original Oberndorf for the front one and pre-war Suhl on the stock.
On the .243 the front swivel is a horseshoe shaped Schöenauer while the rear –not already fitted on the photo- is a European "Imperial" silent swivel.

Mike, you are right, the accentuated reddish color come from the photo, the woods being more lightly colored in the real world.
Incidentally we are working hard on the .458 MS project and I hope to be able to publish some photos in the nearest future.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #266658 - 18/06/15 07:37 PM

Splendid !! Cats out of the bag best

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: DarylS]
      #266671 - 19/06/15 02:19 AM

Quote:

Does "Stutzen" merely mean "short rifle" or "short hunting rifle" or does it have to be a full stocked rifle as well?

Here is what I wrote some time ago for the GGCA on the German use of the word "Stutzen":
regarding your article in RIFLE #231, p.106 on "Mannlicher" stocks, you stepped into one of the many traps of the complicated German language: Unfortunately there are three very similar verbs (two of them even spelled and spoken the same) with different meanings:
1.) stützen or stuetzen (ü and ö are only short forms of ue and oe) = to support, to prop up. This is the one you tried to use to explain "Stutzen".
2.) stutzen = to hesitate, to become suspicious: obviously wrong.
3.) stutzen = to trim, to cut back, to shorten: This is the one to use! Since the 1700s the southern Germans and Austrians used Stutzen for any rifle shorter then a long infantry musket. (the Swiss in their slightly different dialect say Stutzer instead)
For instance the Stutzen M1768 for Austrian Grenzscharfschützen = frontier sharpshooters (the Austro-Hungarian "frontier" to the Turk empire was a broad military zone with a 300 year history of skirmishes, raids and guerilla warfare): You would possibly describe this as an "Jaeger"-type flintlock over-under, combination rifle.(one barrel rifled for accurate shooting, the other smooth for rapid reloading) Yes, it was military issue!
Another example:The military straight pull M95 Mannlicher came in three designations:
Gewehr M95: Long infantry rifle with 30" barrel
Karabiner M95: carbine for cavalry use with 20" barrel and sling attachment on the left side of the stock.
Stutzen M95: short rifle for special (mountain-, artilllery-) troops, 20" barrel, same length as carbine, but sling swivels on the bottom like the rifle.
So the Austrians were apt to call any rifle a Stutzen, even the 24" barreled, half stocked, 7x64 or 8x60 M1925 Mannlicher-Schoenauer is variously called the "Hochgeschwindigkeitsstutzen" or "Hochrasanzstutzen" in old catalogs.
Southern Germans, Bavarians, also called heavy, full length, half stocked Schuetzen target rifles "Scheibenstutzen" or "Feuerstutzen", the look alike indoor 4 mm target rifles "Zimmerstutzen".
So originally the purely southern German, Austrian and Swiss word was neither connected to short rifles or full length foreends.
In Germany proper, except the southernmost part neighboring Austria and Switzerland, the use of the word Stutzen or Stutzer for a rifle was totally unknown until after 1900! Instead, short rifles were called Karabiner and full stocks were circumscribed as stocked to the muzzle.
When Steyr started selling their Mannlicher-Schoenauer sporting rifles in 1905, the short barreled, full stock, double set trigger versions became the most popular in continental Europe. (The British preferred the long barreled, single trigger, half stocked versions) As the Austrians called both versions "Stutzen" in their catalogs, only then this became a German household word for a full stocked, short rifle! So, the expression "Stutzen" for a full stocked short rifle is hardly older then your "Mannlicher stock"! (Well,at least over here Mannlicher is still a protected trade mark, while Stutzen is not!)
By now "Stutzen" in common German use means a short, about 50 cm = 20" barrel rifle with a full length stock up to the muzzle. Half stocked short barreled rifles are not called "Stutzen" in common German parlance (except the extreme South), while longer barreled, full stocked examples like the 60 cm barrel Mannlicher-Schoenauer NO below are described sometimes as "mit Stutzenschäftung" = stocked like a Stutzen, though they are not Stutzens.
So Dorleac's wonderful K actioned, 22" barrel rifle shown above is a "borderline Stutzen" at best, as the barrel length is 2" longer than a real Stutzen, but still 2" shorter than the German standard rifle barrel.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: kuduae]
      #266673 - 19/06/15 03:20 AM

"In Germany proper, except the southernmost part neighboring Austria and Switzerland, the use of the word Stutzen or Stutzer for a rifle was totally unknown until after 1900! Instead, short rifles were called Karabiner and full stocks were circumscribed as stocked to the muzzle."

little addition
just into the 1880s allmost every (99%) single barrel german-austrian hunting rifle had a full stock so there was no need to have an extra word for the normal.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (19/06/15 01:11 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: lancaster]
      #266689 - 19/06/15 06:28 AM

Thanks Kuduae, great explanation.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #266709 - 19/06/15 05:30 PM

Quote:

Old_Glass, thank you for your comments.
The spoon bolt handle is the original one you will find on all "M" type Mauser and if we have retained the factory serial numbers it's to follow customer instructions.....

Thanks for your response and taking my comments in the spirit intended. Regarding numbers I was thinking of the number on the extractor lever/bolt release. ;-)

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Old_Glass]
      #267626 - 09/07/15 01:49 AM

Another one, still in in the white.
A classic 7x64 Mauser stutzen built on a pre-1910 commercial action with a 20'' barrel.
The metal lacks complete polishing and the screws must be replaced and indexed before sending the rifle to the engraver.
The full action and steel butt plate will be bone and charcoal color case hardened, while the barrel and scope mount will be slow rust blued.
Incidentally the scope is the new steel bodied Kahles Helia V 2-8x42

Best to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #267653 - 09/07/15 08:44 AM

That 7x64 floats my boat! It's a stunning looking rifle and I quite like the look of stainless steel (in thi case still in the white) in timber. I know it's not very traditional but the contrast appeals to me.
Workmanship is fabulous!

Cheers

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Bidgee]
      #267665 - 10/07/15 12:48 AM

Very nice rifle, indeed. There is only two details who take my eyes; oversized rear sight foot and "poor mans" wincester safety.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: Igorrock]
      #267666 - 10/07/15 02:07 AM

Igorrock,

I can understand your comment about the rear sight island, but you must wait to see the rifle after engraving.
As stated earlier about the "poor man" two positions safety..."it's a matter of style and being more on the "Classic" side, I must confess that I prefer the look of the Mauser shroud to the more modern shape of the aftermarket three positions side swing safeties, with perhaps the exception of those produced by Ed Lapour"

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Igorrock
.400 member

#267667 - 10/07/15 03:00 AM

Yes, it´s matter of taste. Winchester -styled safety goes to same category as cheek piece with carved shadow line which seems to be quite typical to yours stocks. In my eyes it´s "classic" when talking about rifles made in USA, not especially in Europe.

--------------------

DORLEAC
.333 member

#267669 - 10/07/15 03:14 AM

Sorry, but a DORLEAC rifle is a DORLEAC rifle...!
We make them following our own style and we know that if they could appeal to some, they are also disliked by other ones.
That's life !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Igorrock
.400 member

#267676 - 10/07/15 05:00 AM

Quote:

Sorry, but a DORLEAC rifle is a DORLEAC rifle...!

Yes, that´s true. But, please, do not be offended if someone like me don´t like all those details of yours style. It doesn´t mean to dispute yours competend, just mention that there is other alternatives of style too.

--------------------

DORLEAC
.333 member

#267677 - 10/07/15 05:20 AM

Yes, indeed my friend...no problem with that !
Thank you for your comments.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #267687 - 10/07/15 07:20 AM

Quote:

Another lovely rifle Joel.

I will feature these rifles on our NE fb page too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Stutzen Mauser rifles - Newly made [Re: NitroX]
      #267748 - 11/07/15 10:48 AM

Joel, stunning rifle again. The side panels really look good as well and obviously the superb photography helps. I am not sure why some of the other members feel the urge to tell you what they don't like about your rifles but I can assure you that the rest of us think that they are amazing creations. We should consider ourselves lucky that you take the time to post these photos and give explanations of your work, not many other gun makers do this which ultimately is for our benefit. The American author Tom Turpin has stated in his Custom Rifle books that the best bolt action rifles being produced at the moment are in the USA. Many of them are definitely superb but so are many of the custom guns coming from Europe such as yours and those from Theo Jung to name a few. Thanks again.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
      #275126 - 15/12/15 12:13 PM

Stunning, beautiful work, just love these, I own a BRNO 22 Stutzen in 8 x 57!

cheers

--------------------
Love to hunt!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22935

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com