Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help and advice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Help and advice
      #261662 - 05/03/15 12:12 AM

As both the clay ranges have shut here I fancy taking up archery. There are obviously quite a lot of bow hunters/shooters on this forum so perhaps you can help. there is a club nearby, I can use anysort of bow there. I am going down to have a "go" next weekend, probably take the kids. If I enjoy it (I have shot bows before but NOT A LOT) Iīll buy my own. First thing is that although I am right handed I shoot a bow left handed (same as a catapult), I donīt know why ? I also have a strong left master eye so have to close it when shooting a shotgun, I shoot firearms right handed. I donīt want to buy a bow to learn with which I then canīt use for hunting once I am good enough. What recommendations do you have ? What to start with ? Draw weight, sights etc etc, thanks in advance, Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Help and advice [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #261769 - 06/03/15 05:37 AM

Any thoughts yet chaps, I know it maybe a multifaceted answer but just a few clues would help, probably best to buy a couple of books first, any recommendations there ?, best

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #261783 - 06/03/15 10:10 AM

Quote:

As both the clay ranges have shut here I fancy taking up archery. There are obviously quite a lot of bow hunters/shooters on this forum so perhaps you can help. there is a club nearby, I can use anysort of bow there. I am going down to have a "go" next weekend, probably take the kids. If I enjoy it (I have shot bows before but NOT A LOT) Iīll buy my own. First thing is that although I am right handed I shoot a bow left handed (same as a catapult), I donīt know why ? I also have a strong left master eye so have to close it when shooting a shotgun, I shoot firearms right handed. I donīt want to buy a bow to learn with which I then canīt use for hunting once I am good enough. What recommendations do you have ? What to start with ? Draw weight, sights etc etc, thanks in advance, Mike

I started shooting recurve when I was about 8 years old..that is all I shot until I was in my late teens and started shooting a compound bow..still shoot a recurve once in a while, but 90% compound. In fact my last 9 elk that were shot with a bow were all with a compound.

I have shot Browings, Hoyt, PSE and Mathews...Mathews is what i have shot for the past 8 years..really like the feel of their bows and the model I have is fairly light..

SHot for years with fingers..25+..but switched to a release about 8 years ago as well and will never go back to fingers..much more accurate with the release..shoot a Scott Little goose--you can get a velcro or buckle--i like the buckle that way its in the same setting every time.

Release info:

http://www.eaglearchery.com/item.asp?PID...2--IBoCQwHw_wcB

As to start weight, provided you are in good shape, with a compound they are usually adjustable in 15lb increments..so mine for an example can be shot anywhere from 55# to 70#'s..this allows you to start low get good form and work you way up to what is comfortable for you.

IMHO, one of the MOST IMPORTANT aspect to shooting good is getting fitted so that you have the CORRECT DRAW LENGTH. I lowered mine after 20 years and it made a HUGE difference in my shooting..

Bows today are getting shorter and shorter in axle to axle measurements. Typically the shorter the less forgiving they are.. Also brace height is a consideration..normally a bit more brace height is a bit more forgiving as well..--I would try to stay above 7" or more

I suggest going to a pro shop and shoot some..all of the shops over here let you grab them and shoot them a bit to see which one feels good and most natural to you

Little goose is my release..montana black gold are the sights I use..mathews is the bow..

sight info: these are made in my home town

http://blackgoldsights.com/

Bow info:

http://mathewsinc.com/

A few other good bow companies

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/#/home?r=-1&i=0

http://www.hoyt.com/

I shoot carbon arrow and have for a dozen years..IMHO, the only way to go

You can spend anywhere from $700 to around $1500 plus for the entire set up..all depends on what you like and how serious you are..

For me living here in Montana..I hunt elk every year with my bow during the rut..its one of my favorite things to do each year..

You will hear from the purists that compounds are cheating and vice-versa..my opinion is, just like most things, its up to you..I have shot elk with my COMPOUND anywhere from 3 yards to the furthest of 52 yards..usually will NOT shoot farther than that as elk are big and I want penetration..antelope is another story and have shot them further ..but typically closer..

Hope this helps a bit..in a little hurry --will check back in later to see if you have any further questions..

Take care

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (07/03/15 10:36 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Help and advice [Re: Ripp]
      #261814 - 06/03/15 06:58 PM

Thanks Ripp, any book recommendations and what is the best way to get my approximate correct draw length ? cheers, Mike

Ripp
.577 member

#261831 - 07/03/15 02:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks Ripp, any book recommendations and what is the best way to get my approximate correct draw length ? cheers, Mike

Most archery shops have an arrow with measurements on them.. draw it 6-10 times and they can measure you that way--that is what I would suggest..Go to a specialty shop and have the experts set you up..don't go to a place that is just a do everything shop- Talk to them. DO they compete and do they hunt?? See any archery trophies around?? How many years have they been shooting..Those guys should be able to set you up..

Not sure on the books or what is available anymore..used to read up on it all the time but that was 20-30 years ago..plus, when it comes to the really technical info I prefer to talk to someone in person and have them explain it to me..usually you can tell if the person is legit or not..

The guy I talk to locally shoots in tournaments year around and also is a heck of a hunter..he is the one that changed my draw length..only a 1/2"..but made a dramatic difference.

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (07/03/15 02:15 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Help and advice [Re: Ripp]
      #261836 - 07/03/15 02:53 AM

I shoot very little now, tendinitis comes back quickly in both elbows if I do.
Recurves are easy to shoot compared to long bows-normally.
I do have a compound, shooting fingers, no sights, which I went to after the tendenitis kept me out of shooting for 2 years.
When I started with the Compound, I went full hog - sights, 2X magnifier in the front sight lens, long stab, trigger release - tried 3 or 4 different mechanical releases.
Quickly got to the point where I could only fire 1 arrow at each target - went to a 3-spot at the club due to losing too many arrows with "Robin-Hoods". That isn't bragging, most compound shooters using releases and target settups do it for the same reason - every night, you'd go through 6 arrows. the one that got split and since you never take a Robin-Hood apart, the one that's stuck inside. With Carbon's that would be dangerous- carbon splinters flying all over the place.

I tired of that game and tool off the long stab, going to a short one, and pin sights, shooting fingers. Wasn't long before I was using a 3-spot again.

Took off the sights and shot "HTBB" - Heavy Tackle Bare Bow - now they call it "Bow Hunter Unsighted", I think.

Shooting 3 fingers under (the nock) and canted to the right like a recurve or longbow, I found this almost as accurate shooting sighted - at the club, I even used to use a 3-spot just to piss off the HTBB and some of the Unlimited shooters. 3-spots only score 7,8,9,10, on per bullseye - might have been a green 6-ring in there- long time ago, can't remember.

Anyway - Mike - I suggest you 'learn' to shoot with a recurve in a club - learn to draw and shoot first before even contemplating a compound. If you go straight to a compound, you'll really never learn to shoot properly, nor will you learn the dynamics of shooting - using your eyes, your mind to aim. Compounds are machines, not bows - and are dirt simple to shoot accurately, in my most humble opinion, of course. I'm a lousy shot with a long bow - HA! It is something one must practice - regularly. My Brother is a or THE BC Champion & held that moniker for 30years - up until last year, I think he lost out with a 2nd. He's an incredible long bow shot, his best was a 282/300 with a longbow. His average is 245/300.
I only shot the event a couple times with my bare-bow compound before losing interest. It was a LOT more fun with the longbow, but of course I did not win anything with it - I sucked.

As far as weights go, I'd start with a 45-50 pound for a man. 30-40 for a woman.

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: Help and advice [Re: DarylS]
      #261841 - 07/03/15 03:32 AM

I would tend to agree with Daryl. I would start out with a recurve or a long bow, no sights, bare bow. Then later decide if you want to go to a compound. Myself I shoot mostly longbow, it's just a lot more fun. And after going to several Longbow Safaris I believe I still have 9 of my original 12 wooden arrows. Al

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Help and advice [Re: Al333]
      #261867 - 07/03/15 12:54 PM

Yours lasted better than mine, Al. LOL
I went through at least 1/2 of my arrows on my first Safari - at Claresholm, Alberta - decades ago. LOL - no - not a good shot with a stick and a string.

My wife used the same arrows every year we went, breaking only 4 of her original dozen, in 4 Safari's. Legal broadheads & woods only boys, at the North American Long Bow Safari.

At Sooke, BC - she beat 515 archers out of the 520 who shot there. Yeah - we're quite proud of her long bow shooting - like a machine, she shoots and does not have to practice. It's amazing. Beat me by 79 points at Sooke.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: Help and advice [Re: DarylS]
      #261873 - 07/03/15 03:55 PM

Daryl; I am a terrible shot. Just lucky.

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Help and advice [Re: Al333]
      #261878 - 07/03/15 07:39 PM

Mike
Off on a tangent for a second however why have the clay ranges shut?
Rick

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Help and advice [Re: 375Brno]
      #261880 - 07/03/15 08:11 PM

Simple 375Brno, the crisis, unemployment down here in Andalucia is 30% generally and over 40% for under 30's. Not many people have any money for leisure when they are trying to get enough to eat. Attendance dropped at the two ranges drastically, they used to open every Friday and Sat and when I arrived there were usually 20 or so of us. After 2008 I used to turn up and was often the only person there, the owners have to renew their insurance every year and just didn't do it, so they closed. Very annoying ESPECIALLY as here in Spain, believe it or not, even if I have access to private ground, and I have, a friend has a small finca, 1500 hectares (which is bloody big in UK) you are not permitted to buy a trap and shoot it there !! ?? Madness and very annoying. Some people do but if the Guardia Civil turn up you lose your trap, your firearms licence and they confiscate all your firearms, and it is VERY difficult to get them back I hear. best

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #261884 - 07/03/15 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear Mike. It is a sad state of affairs.
Good luck with the bow.
Rick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #261887 - 08/03/15 01:41 AM

Quote:

... you are not permitted to buy a trap and shoot it there !! ?? Madness and very annoying.

That is so ridiculous. That one can not shoot clays on private lands. It is amazing what stupid restrictive laws exist in this world.

Do you know why these laws were put in place? Any sort of logical basis?

Regarding bows, I will have a look at mine and post again. I too started in school, with a kids recurve. Then bought a bigger one. I think it is good advice to start with a simple recurve. A simple target recurve can be very cheap and allow one to learn some basics.

I see Ripp mentioned draw length of the bow. I did not realise this as I thought it was based on the arrow shaft length? But obviously both. A good archery shop as said will allow you to try some shots with some of the bows. When I bought my compound which was not expensive, they watched me shoot it and then selected the arrows to use with it. Plus helped setup the sights. I haven't used it a lot and not for any medium sized game.

Regarding shooting left handed, I think the simple recurves are ambidexorous and don't think the grips are shaped for either in particular. At least the cheapo ones. I agree starting with a simple recurve will allow you to learn first. How to aim with the arrow point, where to consistenly hold the nock on your face or chin. Trajectory. Plus also you hold the full draw weight at full draw. Later when you go to a compound it will be much easier as the hold weight is much less.

Can you hunt with a bow in Spain?

The anits hate it here and love to publicise whenever a kangaroo is photographed with an arrow in it. I don't believe it is possible to legally hunt or shoot roos with bows here, as there is few legal opportunities to sporting hunt kangaroos. I imagine most of these roos are the result of kids or dickheads out in the bush. Not serious sporting hunters.

An acquaintance from some time ago used to practice with his bow in his backyard. Shooting it from fence to fence. I guess the neighbours never knew. He was a hunting guide and outfitter in NZ in those days. Was learning to do it for guiding bowhunters.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Help and advice [Re: NitroX]
      #261910 - 08/03/15 03:11 PM

Interesting thoughts and discussion. I have a neighbor who saw me out in my yard shooting in the summer and fall getting practiced up for hunting season. She had never shot a bow before in her life. She is around age 50..took her up to one of the local archery shops..she bought a new compound along with sights, release..the entire package..she now shoots league at the local shop on Wednesday nights consistently hitting targets in the bull from 20-40 yards..and sometimes in the 50 plus yards..

Personally I find starting out someone new who has never shot before, it is much simpler to start with a compound than a recurve or long bow. What I personally feel is one of the main keys to archery shooting is to be consistent on everything..how far back you pull the arrow, where you put your hand on your face, neck or cheek..making sure you don't cant your wrist one way or the other with the arm holding the bow, etc. The anchor points you come to generally are much more consistent and reliable for a beginner, at least for me it was that way. Your sights are there to lock on to your target. Not so much with recurve, at least from a beginners perspective. Also, todays bows have up to 80% let off..so you are only holding 12# when on a pulled back 60# bow..much less fatigue which also allow you to practice longer.. IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3431

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com