Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices
      #261040 - 23/02/15 11:58 PM

interesting video showing what happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsBF6CXs18

I hope we are all bright enough but s... happens some times

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: lancaster]
      #261069 - 24/02/15 05:14 AM

LOL - That is absolutely the very best thing you could do with ALL of those bolt action'd, primer firing, pelleted "rifles" that destroyed our primitive moose season - but fired remotely though, just as in the video, of course. they actually look a lot better in pieces. POW!

I met Dudley on an archery Moose hunt in Northern BC, some years ago - interesting fellow, indeed. I recall, quite vividly, actually, as he returned to camp after a noon-hour run. He was ashen-faced and quite shaken up - seems a wolf thought his bouncing head was a rabbit running up the hill towards him, crouching in the middle of the road - lol. The wolf charged but quite luckily the wolf decided Dudley wasn't a bunny afterall and turned his charge in the couple seconds, then bounded into the bush.

If you know or see him, ask him if he thinks, perhaps a person should be armed when out running around in the British Columbia bush.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: DarylS]
      #261076 - 24/02/15 06:54 AM

Kind of silly.
120grs of HS6 would blow up any firearm I would think.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: Huvius]
      #261091 - 24/02/15 11:21 AM

Yes! - but still, a wonderful display of explosiveness.

The Savage inline, or one of Savage's inlines was actually designed for smokeless - I don't know if they still make and market them. They were designed to burn smokeless, but only a given charge of H110, which is the same powder as W296- fast rifle or slow magnum pistol powder - your choice what you call it.

There have been a number of those bolt action'd Savage inlines blown up as well, apparently. Of course the owners said they used the 'suggested' loads. I rather suspect the use of larger charges to get even higher speeds - or faster powders to increase speed.

Mistaken powders do get sold. A local chap gave me a pound of IMR4227 that was sold to him as Black Powder and it says SMOKELESS POWDER right on the can. He said, it's black, isn't it?

Oh boy!

--------------------
Daryl

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #261103 - 24/02/15 07:43 PM

Darrel - You're not wrong about the inlines being absolutely atrocious violations of the "Primitive" season. Scopes and sabots! *spits on the ground*

Try looking up "muzzleloader hunting" on youtube, 99% bloody inlines.

BUT! There is the odd gem..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbHCZsBlWBNDsGhYlSWNf4A

These guys use flintlocks to good effect, with some great footage.

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: Ash]
      #261155 - 25/02/15 02:54 PM

That was great - been there - late in the season and the gittin's good no matter what it is. The freezer needs meat.

--------------------
Daryl

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
      #261157 - 25/02/15 04:04 PM

It's actually pretty simple, if you want to get rid of most of the inlines then get rid of any special seasons, put everybody out there at the same time with whatever weapon they prefer. If you prefer primitive muzzleloaders then great with me but you shouldn't get a special season for it, you should just be a better hunter and compete with all the other hunters at the same time. Same goes for archery, if you want to hunt with a bow of any kind I'm good with that also but you shouldn't get a special season for it, you should hunt at the same time as everyone else. Knives, atlatl, spears, whatever you can cleanly and humanely kill with is fine with me so long as everybody is on equal ground, NO special seasons for anyone.

Now this won't get rid of all the inlines because there will still be a few people that use them for various reason but getting rid of special seasons will get rid of the guys who only own them to get a few extra days of hunting in.

This applies to primitive bows and compunds and crossbows and everything else you can try to make a special group out of and give them special privilidges.

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

500BPE
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: TN
Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: CowboyCS]
      #261185 - 25/02/15 11:53 PM

CowboyCS; Sir' Would you consider keeping the "JV" special weekend for the new shooter's.
As they are the ones who will someday soon be there to keep our "skills and knowledge" as well as enjoyment alive in the future.

Now with "my seasons" nearing the end, I try each year to take the time to take a new hunter out and show them how it is done and has been done for century's.

Trying to get them away from their electronic devices can be a challenge! For me, being there and watching the smiles of a boy or girl with their 1st deer, no matter what they used, is pure joy for me.

Now if all of you get me stirred up on what is allowed for a M/L season. I would be banded from ever posting anything again here!

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: 500BPE]
      #261186 - 26/02/15 12:39 AM

I think the thing is that the season arrangements were adopted long before the modern inline muzzle loaders came to promenance.
I would think that the DOW guys working on splitting up archery and ML from rifle never imagined that they would allow high velocity scoped guns in just because they happen to load from the front.
Just last night I hlanced at an article about the new Remington long range ML that uses a primer blank that looks like a shortened 308 and uses a rifle die to deprime and reprime them. The action looks just like a Remington centerfire rifle and I suspect it is.
If I use my Ruger No.1 in 50/110 with an empty case, pour the powder down the barrel and push a lead bullet down, does that make it a muzzle loader?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #261187 - 26/02/15 01:03 AM

I completely agree with Huvius, Let keep the early season for youth hunting. While I am at it I would also keep the early muzzleloading season, but I would limit it to flintlocks shooting round balls only. This is the way to get rid of the inlines during the early seasons. I would allow the use of inlines if they really want to use them, but only during the later gun seasons. I would put crossbows and compounds in a special late season and not have them competeing with traditional archers. I realise that this will piss some people off, but so be it.
As hunters we need to be more inclusive with what we allow so as to get more people interested, but we don't need unfair competition of modern day shooting machines being run in with the genuine primitive hunters. We hunt with these primitive weapons because they limit our shots and make us better hunters. To make us compete with these mechanical devices during our special seasons, is a travisty.
Many of these people who use these types of modern shooting machines, are only there because it gives them an unfair advantage over everyone else. If we take that unfair advantage away from them, they will probably quit, and that's alright too. They are generally the slob hunters that we all hate to hear and read about. It would improve the sport to be rid of them. Pay hunters are another sore spot but I won't get into that whole nest of snakes now. Bob

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #261206 - 26/02/15 04:07 AM

Interesting concepts, Colin.

Many of us who used to hunt only the Primitive hunt, did so to hunt with bows or our muzzleloaders when there wasn't the crash of CF rifles bouncing off the mountains and hillsides & truckloads of "hunters" driving up and down the roads all day.

--------------------
Daryl

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
      #261207 - 26/02/15 04:18 AM

Daryl; I have to agree. When I did bow hunt, it was mostly the silence and the feeling of solitude that I enjoyed. Al

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: Al333]
      #261271 - 27/02/15 02:39 AM

Exactly - the peace and quiet in the bush - sitting against a tree, contemplating the universe or whatever, in complete silence - love it.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #261284 - 27/02/15 06:55 AM

Quote:

I think the thing is that the season arrangements were adopted long before the modern inline muzzle loaders came to promenance.
I would think that the DOW guys working on splitting up archery and ML from rifle never imagined that they would allow high velocity scoped guns in just because they happen to load from the front.
Just last night I hlanced at an article about the new Remington long range ML that uses a primer blank that looks like a shortened 308 and uses a rifle die to deprime and reprime them. The action looks just like a Remington centerfire rifle and I suspect it is.
If I use my Ruger No.1 in 50/110 with an empty case, pour the powder down the barrel and push a lead bullet down, does that make it a muzzle loader?

if remington makes so fine muzzle loader it could be they invent breech loader in the near future

in the 1860s-1870s there were such kits offerend in switzerland for using the than brand new breech loading military rifles again as muzzle loader. it seems this was a change not everyone believe in.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #261307 - 27/02/15 02:56 PM

Quote:

Exactly - the peace and quiet in the bush - sitting against a tree, contemplating the universe or whatever, in complete silence - love it.

Well, not complete silence - the sound of birds, perhaps a stream. Heaven.

Lol Lancaster.

I've seen Mauser 98's converted to ML too.

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Dangerous Muzzleloading Practices [Re: Ash]
      #261336 - 28/02/15 05:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, not complete silence - the sound of birds, perhaps a stream. Heaven.

Lol Lancaster.

I've seen Mauser 98's converted to ML too.

Absolutely - that's the peace and quiet of the bush. Natural sounds sooth the soul.

--------------------
Daryl

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #261602 - 04/03/15 10:24 AM

I REFUSE TO BUY AN INLINE AND WOULD LIKE A FLINTLOCK TO GET RID OF THE PRIMERS AND AGGRAVATE MY HUNTING BUDDY. RULE NEEDS TO SAY EXPOSED HAMMERS IRON SIGHTS AND MODERN BOWS IN WITH MODERN GUN. BUT WITH ALL THE PRESS AND HUNTING SHOWS SHOW HOW SIMPLE AND CONVENIENT INLINERS PEOPLE WON'T GET ON BOARD. SORRY MY CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK ..DAMN TECHNOLOGY

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5028

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com