Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: martini actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
martini actions
      #261426 - 01/03/15 04:01 PM

been looking at martini large actions now and then for a big bore nitro cartridge but which ones do i stay away from ? which best or just acceptable. difference between long lever and short lever.i figure westley richards is premo and afgans are junk.which ones were made for the colonies and which ones by the colonies thanks

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: martini actions [Re: ducmarc]
      #261448 - 02/03/15 03:08 AM

Afghans are not Junk. They are among the best to get...if you can recognize the real from the Khyber Pass.

Most of the good complete Francottes large actions (Westley Richards ZAR) one are far too expensive (valuable) to tear down build one. Nothing like tearing up a $1500 rifle to make $750 rifle.

Long lever is useful for bending levers in to pistol grip stocks.But the action is ugly.

The untouched Mk II's from IMA or Atlanta Cutlery will make up into a nice looking sporter. As to which cartridge you will need to try a cartridge in the action to see if it will turn the corner to decide. That hinged block cause geometry issues for big and long cartridges. There is some wiggle room, but frankly most gunsmith really do not under stand the martini action. For instance, any gunsmith who says they can grind the breech block to make a cartridge fit, really doesn't understand the system and should be avoided.

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-british-...-untouched.html

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1720-p-1...-untouched.aspx

The action that will fit larger-longer cartridges is the Greener Shotgun action. It is a big heavy clunky action. Most are pretty rough and hard to "pretty up". Most guns seen built with this action look like clubs. Seems that some gunsmiths working on this gun just seem to find it necessary use bridge timers for gunstock.

To be avoided in the Greener actions is the split shotgun action. The action is split on the bottom side for the barrel to be dismounted. This split action is not suitable for building rifle.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (02/03/15 07:03 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: martini actions [Re: DoubleD]
      #261451 - 02/03/15 03:46 AM

Thanks for that DD - I'll have to check mine for a split. It is useless as a shotgun- and may at some point, be turned into something I can use.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: martini actions [Re: DarylS]
      #261469 - 02/03/15 09:43 AM

there was a large action at the last gun show for 250 bucks i meant to go back and look at it. it had the stock and barrel cut off. wondering now if it was a greener. that show will be back around in april i doubt it sold so have some time to educate myself .besides the english ones which others are worth sporterizing ido like the look of the greener shotgun.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: martini actions [Re: ducmarc]
      #261524 - 03/03/15 11:43 AM

Here's a link to an old thread that might contribute something.
Hope it is of interest.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2952

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com