Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BSA Sporter - What do I have?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
BSA Sporter - What do I have?
      #261349 - 28/02/15 12:09 PM

This BSA Sporter shows almost no use. Bore is as new and bright. Serial number is just under 18,000. It's not a Lee Speed. Was it made before or after the Lee Speeds?. Shows "Sighted and Regulated for the High Velocity 303 Load". Can't find a safety on it....does it have one? I am not familiar with BSA sporters so any information would be appreciated.

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: BSA Sporter - What do I have? [Re: TexasJohn]
      #261350 - 28/02/15 12:31 PM

You have a very nice BSA sporter as you said, BSA made most of what we call "Lee Speeds" but are all BSA sporters really, just some had "Lee Speed" on the Butt Socket & that type of rifle got the name "Lee Speed"

Yours is the later type how late I could not tell you, has no mag cut off, some didn't, one way maybe to see if the trigger is the SMLE type or MLE type & is there a small groove on top at the back of the bolt were a dust cover would click into ?

The safety is just the half cock, just one pull of the cocking piece .

Lovely piece wish I had her here, has all the bits I like & not the bits I dont like !

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: BSA Sporter - What do I have? [Re: Sarg]
      #261360 - 28/02/15 10:27 PM

Sarge i'm still trying to track down a Lee Speed sight to try and pry that M1888 out of your hands

--------------------

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Re: BSA Sporter - What do I have? [Re: Ash]
      #270824 - 22/09/15 01:12 PM

Hi John,

I would certainly agree with Sarg on this. Your rifle is indeed what we now call a 'Lee Speed' but was officially described as a 'Sporting Rifle'. I have checked my notes and from the style of the stock, checkering etc, your example is almost certainly from the 1920's, so what I would call a 'late' pattern.

Overall a really splendid example, so put me on the list of those interested parties should you decide to part with it.

P.s Lovely part of the world Texas, some good people there and 'wonderful' gun shows. I lived there on and off for a few years (now in AZ) around the New Brunfels area.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3105

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com