Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Bidyanus1
.300 member

Reged: 12/04/13
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun
      #260562 - 16/02/15 10:01 AM

Hi Team
I have an S56E Beretta over and under. Fixed chokes half and full. 30" Chrome barrels.
Im confident to shoot steel out of the bottom half choke barrel with no ill effects on that barrel.

Im not confident to shoot steel out of the top full choke barrel because of the potential to damage that barrel.

Because of this it means when I chase ducks I have to shoot lead out of the top and steel in the bottom. Therefore because of the lead in the top Im breaking the law.

Im not interested (because Im not a millionaire) in just purchasing a new shotgun.

SO.....what I was think was getting a Briley half choke or 3/4 choke (I dont know the new terms for choke description) put in the top barrel. That way for the top barrel Id have a choice of 2 briley chokes say 1 X Full and 1 x Half or 1 x Full and 1 x 3/4. That why when I chase ducks I can put the more open choke in the top and can shot steel in both barrels and not break the law or damage the gun. And when eg I chase rabbits I can have the full in the top and shoot lead in both barrels.

So what do you think?

Do you think if I put a more open choke in the top I will can be assured I wont damage the gun. And if you think that will work, what choke do you think I should put in the top bearing in mind I want to keep the top barrel as tight as I can with risking damaging it with steel shot.

Thanks in anticipation

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rigby270
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/14
Loc: Sussex, England
Re: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun [Re: Bidyanus1]
      #260585 - 17/02/15 04:15 AM

In the colder months I do a serious amount of wing shooting and proberly throw somewhere in the region of 2,500 shells at duck.

Yes, steel shot isn't my first choice, but then if that is what we have to use, buy No 3 or 4 shot, since larger the shot, great the momentum it carries. Buy a shell that has the shot "gift wrapped" to take it down the barrel and have you top barrel opened up to half choke.

You will be amazed how tall a duck you can kill with half choke. When I was younger I would shoot full and full but with the wisdom of age, I now shoot quarter and half. What is even better, I get to impress the younger guns, as I only use a 20 bore. Which also doubles as a great excuse when I miss.

You will find it cheaper to hone out a choke, then add a adjustable choke.

--------------------
JH

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun [Re: Rigby270]
      #260593 - 17/02/15 08:29 AM

OK thanks for that info - FYI here in South Australia where I live, because of the lead pollution you have to use steel for dicks. Its against the law to use lead shot for ducks.

Rigby270
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/14
Loc: Sussex, England
      #260598 - 17/02/15 10:14 AM

Same here in the UK.

Whilst. It makes a degree of sense in estuaries, it becomes silly that you can stand in a field and shoot pheasants with lead but, in the same field, you need to use steel for duck.

Thought your typo was great 😀

--------------------
JH

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun [Re: Rigby270]
      #260627 - 17/02/15 08:09 PM

leapin
.224 member

Reged: 17/01/12
Loc: Vic, Aust
      #260630 - 17/02/15 08:36 PM

Gidday Bidyanus1 I had the same delemar as yourself years ago, On my Beretta S57E I had the top barrel opened up to tight half choke and left the bottom as is, conciquently half and half fixed chokes. Been using 1 1/4 oz loads of no 2 steel shot with out any dramas.

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun [Re: leapin]
      #260773 - 20/02/15 09:30 AM

So when you opened it up did you put a Briley choke in it or something like that or did you just get it opened up?

leapin
.224 member

Reged: 17/01/12
Loc: Vic, Aust
      #261166 - 25/02/15 07:49 PM

Just got the Gunsmith to machine open the full choke to half choke and left the bottom barrel as is, hope that helps.

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: Steel shot - older Beretta shotgun [Re: leapin]
      #261232 - 26/02/15 03:56 PM

Thats clarified it but I really want the ability to go back to full on top when Im using lead. Thats why Im thinking Briley. I guess I just need to decide if I want my other top screw in choke as half or 3/4
Cheers

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #261270 - 27/02/15 02:36 AM

Quote:

Hi Team

So what do you think?

Do you think if I put a more open choke in the top I will can be assured I wont damage the gun. And if you think that will work, what choke do you think I should put in the top bearing in mind I want to keep the top barrel as tight as I can with risking damaging it with steel shot.

Thanks in anticipation

I think you might get away with it, or not. Can you be assured there will not be any damage and that the barrels will not split apart at the chokes - I would say no, they might be OK, though, or not. I sincerely doubt any gun smith or other person will guarantee the tubes will be OK- that would set him up for a law suit if the tube failed in any way.

If the barrels are brazed instead of soldered, they probably won't split apart, but top of the top barrel might enlarge a bit and the bottom of the bottom barrel same. This is what happened to a friend's Belgium double with brazed tubes. He only shot steel in one side and said after the first box or so, it quit expanding. It still shot well enough for him to hit with- maybe even better?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3929

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com