Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Australian Hunting Clubs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Organisations & Associations >> Clubs, Associations and Organisations

Pages: 1
Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Australian Hunting Clubs
      #2574 - 01/05/03 03:16 AM

Good day,

I am new to the Australian hunting scene. Any recommendation on hunting clubs? I am living Sydney, but do not mind traveling. While I enjoy all venues of hunting, I enjoy hunting big game the most.

Thanks,

Lynn Miller

Edited by Miller (01/05/03 03:17 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Australian Hunting Clubs [Re: Miller]
      #2577 - 01/05/03 02:42 PM

Lynn

Welcome to NitroExpress.com

The main big game or hunting clubs in Sydney would be the Safari Club International (not sure what their chapter name is now), Australian Hunters International (which was the SCI South Pacific) plus the others listed below.

I'm not sure whether there is now an Australian Deer Association club in Sydney (?) but the ADA would be the largest big game hunting club in Australia and is most represented in Victora (due to the Sambar deer hunting opportunities). It also has branches in SA, QLD, Tas + ?. There used to be a NSW Deerstalkers Association but maybe I am out of date as I haven't heard them mentioned for a decade.

Another NSW hunting club is the Nepean Hunters Association (or some name like that).

The SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association) which is similar to the NRA in Australia and also has a lot of target shooting disciplines also used to have a Deer Stalkers club which now I believe is called "Hunting and Conservation" branches .

Duck hunting clubs include the Field & Game Association. They generally cover quail as well. But unless you get access to properties with destruction permits I don't believe there is a duck season in NSW anymore. There is however in Vic and SA but was cancelled in 2003 due to the drought.

If you need some contact details tell me which ones and I will see if I have addresses for them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Miller
.275 member

Re: Australian Hunting Clubs [Re: NitroX]
      #2579 - 01/05/03 05:26 PM

NitroX;

Thanks for the welcome.

I am scrambling as fast as possible to get my shooter's license so that I can hopefully take in a bit of Sambar hunting this season, even if I have to beg, steal, borrow a rifle till my personal weapons get here from the US. And as you know, I need to be a member of a gun club to get my shooter's license, so I am going to join the SSAA for now, so I can get my application on the way.

I have been here for about 2 years, and have found it very difficult to get into the shooting and hunting circles, seems everyone wants to keep a low profile in the public, not that I much blame them. But in the last few weeks I have made some aquaintances that are hunters and shooters and have pointed me in the general direction I need to go.

I was looking at the Sydney based Alpine Hunters, Shooters, and Fishing Club(I think I got it right) as a possibility, but I will check into the local SCI chapter.

I have been hunting and shooting since I was 10, have suffered severe withdrawal since moving to Sydney, so I am literally desperate to get back out into the bush again.

Any contacts or details you could relay to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

P. Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #2592 - 02/05/03 09:51 AM

LM reply to me via private box for info etc.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#2600 - 03/05/03 01:01 AM

Lynn

The ADA does have a branch in NSW. Their address is below. Gryph is the ADA man to know on this board.

ADA - Sydney Branch contacts
Branch Executive Members
President: Craig Sward
Secretary: John Clapham Phone:(02) 4787-6938
www.austdeer.com.au

Safari Club International - Down Under Chapter Inc - in Sydney
Noel & Lyn Spalding, Tel/Fax 02 6568 1723
nspalding@tsn.cc
Ray Hammond AH Tel 02 6779 1009 hammond@mail.northnet.com.au

Australian Hunters International
PO Box 7449
Baulkham HillsBC, NSW 2153
Fax 02 8824 6240

Nepean Hunters Club Inc.
P.O. Box 1044
Penrith NSW 2751
http://www.nepeanhuntersclub.org.au

Alpine Hunting Shooting & Fishing Club
P.O.Box A111,
Enfield South NSW 2133
Australia

Phone & Fax : 02-9703 5552
e-mails
Secretary: secretary@ahsfc.com
http://www.ahsfc.com/

Another club which is a target shooting club but shoots big bores and I would assume a lot of the members hunt as well is the
Big Game Rifle Club of Australia.
500Nitro, Mickey1 and myself plus (I am a very new member) probably others are members. I don't have the Sydney contact numbers but if you are interested can find them out easily (ie I should know as NitroExpress.com will host their website - if I ever get sent a CD with the info ! - just stirring the pot).

It appears from the SSAA website that the SSAA Hunting & Conservation branch is only is SA (?).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Miller
.275 member

#2605 - 03/05/03 05:34 PM

NitroX,

Thanks for all the information. I will make good use of it.

The next question is, if you were going to join 2 clubs, which 2 would you join?

I want a club for shooting, and since I live about 5 kms from the Malabar Range here in Sydney, I have the choice of the SSAA or the New South Wales Rifle Association. Any preference? I went out to the range today, and talked to the SSAA folks, but did not have time to talk to anyone from NSWRA.

I also want to join a hunting club, primarily since, I am new to Australia, I do not have many contacts for places to hunt, and particularly deer. So which would be the best club to join for that aspect?

Of course, I will go to each club and check it out for myself, but as always, as newcomer, I can only rely on what I am told instead of knowing the facts from someone behind the scenes.

I passed my safety test yesterday with flying colors, and am now waiting the paperwork from the registry, so I have a few days to work through the 2 clubs I want to join to support my "genuine reasons".

I sent Gryph a PM yesterday as he requested, he is one gentlemen I would like to get to know better. From his web-site, which I visit far too many times a day, he has a wealth of knowledge on hunting deer in Australia.

I look forward to learning to know many of you better, and one day I hope we can meet face to face or even better, go hunting together.

Lynn Miller

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#2606 - 03/05/03 10:50 PM

If you want to join a target club I wouldn't join the NSW Rifle Association as their discipline is to shoot .308 single shots with open sights at ranges from 300 to 800 yards. Quite specific.

As for a hunting club I suppose it depends on what the local clubs are like. I would go to a local ADA (Aust Deer Assoc) meeting and try it out. And I would also give the Safari Club International and Aust Hunters International a try too.

Your problem in Sydney is that you have too many choices.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#2610 - 04/05/03 07:23 AM

Miller i have to tell you mate its not good day its G`day and you will get the hang of it eventually haha.
I read your PM to me but "fatal error" came up in my reply--will try that one later.
The ADA is a must org to get into if you dont know anyone that is in the "know" and the Deerstalkers branch of the SSAA is not a bad bunch either.I`m going thru Sydney to get to Vic high country later in the year to hunt sambar --there might be a hunt there for you too.Hey what you do in Sydney for a living?

--------------------

Miller
.275 member

Re: Australian Hunting Clubs [Re: gryphon]
      #2614 - 04/05/03 10:15 AM

NitroX,

Thanks, I did not realize that NSWRA was so specific in their shooting, so SSAA it is. I primarily want to be able to take my hunting rifles and practice out to about 300 yds/mtrs to keep me in shape for hunting.

gryphon,

I am trying to resist the shortening of every word in the English language to one syllable, but I am slowly caving in!!

So, G'day;

I will do my best to get to the next local ADA meeting and catch up with the SSAA Deerstalkers.

Let me know when you are coming through Sydney, would love to meet up and spin a few yarns.

I am currently working as residential project manager on a big waterfront house on the George's River in Sydney. By trade, I am a furnituremaker, and worked in the furniture and interior industry for about 15 years, making and designing furniture, textiles and interiors. I have also been around the building industry since I was "knee-high to a grasshopper", so I am working on getting my builders license so I can go back out on my own. I prefer being self-employed since it allows me to spend more time with my family and doing the important things in life like hunting, fishing, and camping.

Lynn Miller

Miller
.275 member

#2821 - 15/05/03 12:37 PM

G'day,

I just joined the Sydney branch of the ADA, met with them at a social last evening, what a great bunch of fella's. Unfortunately, I am going to have to miss out on the club hunt coming up in 2 weeks in Victoria for Sambar, #@!*!!!! I am rushing the paperwork through as fast I can so with any luck I should be in business in about 6-7 weeks according to what I am hearing.

I could not get to Malabar last Sunday to join the SSAA, because of my Mother's Day duties, but I am headed out to St. Mary's so I can get it done today, if all goes well.

I also stopped by a gunshop and picked up 2 Permit to Acquire forms to post with my application so I can avoid a delay in purchasing a firearm after my license comes though.

If all goes well... I may be ready to hunt by the middle of July... fingers crossed.

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

#2824 - 16/05/03 04:59 AM

G`day Miller thats good news mate about the ADA,the fella`s will take you out for deer something that most wouldnt do for an Aussie as we are generally a tight lipped bunch of hunters regarding our hunt spots.

--------------------

Miller
.275 member

#2842 - 17/05/03 07:38 PM

Rats, I went out to the head office for SSAA in St. Marys and would you believe I could not get any club official to sign my "Genuine Reason" form, but have to wait 5 to 10 working days till they send me a confirmation letter to include in with my application. Oh, well, I just have to wait. In the meantime, I am sending in my Victorian Game License Application so I am ready to head for Victoria for deer, when everything comes together.

Gryphon, are comfortable taking a 7X57 Mauser for a walk for Sambar? That is the rifle I presently have online to purchase as soon as my license comes through.

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

#2847 - 18/05/03 06:26 AM

If i only had that cal to hunt with i would be comfortable with it--even if it meant hunting sambar with a thutty thutty i would be happy enough even though they have their limitations too.
The more clubs you get into and talk with means more hunting opps Miller,sure you will fire up this year.

--------------------

Miller
.275 member

#3045 - 29/05/03 05:23 PM

Well, I am on my way, I sent in my application yesterday along with 2 "Permit to Acquire" forms, one for centerfire rifle and one for rimfire rifle. So we will see how quickly the Registry can turn things around, They have said 8 -10 weeks, but I have been hearing rumours of people getting their license in 5 - 6 weeks lately. We will see...

Is the SSAA Hunting and Conservation Program with joining? Supposedly, it qualifies you to be included in feral pest control and hunting on selected properties?

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

#70355 - 28/01/07 09:46 PM

god its a long time ago Miller but i still have that cd of bugling elk i copied for you.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11212

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com