Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: John Blissett & Son

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
500BPE
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: TN
John Blissett & Son
      #260456 - 14/02/15 04:03 AM

I acquired this 12 Bore DR 2 years ago. Reading and trying to acquire the correct components to start shooting it and seeing what I could try to learn by reading the many posts that all of you have made here. SO I thank all of you for helping in this "trial by fire" 1st try.

DETAILS: The weight is 10.5 pounds, barrels are 28.125", the chambers are; rear .738", muzzles are .735"/.736" with 9 grooves. it has 1 standing sight marked @ 100 yards, with 3 more marked @ 150, 200, 250. To me who ever had it built was a little "generous" with his shooting ability!

I started with brass cases that are 2.430" long and after firing them 1 time are now 2.440"

Modern 12 gauge plastic or paper cases "rattle" in the chambers. And they take an 11 gauge over power wads to fit these brass cases tightly. Starting with 3 drams of GOEX 2F and going up in half dram increments. To a max on the first try. And adding wads so that about 1/2 of the ball was out of the case and seating it in a 1 oz shot cup, which can be pushed threw the barrels with a rod. The shooting began from a rest at 25 yards.

The shot cup and ball start down the barrel at first with little friction, but gradually it becomes tighter until about 2" from the muzzle. but it does not take a lot of effort to go threw.

Yes the sights are not made or intended to be target grade match sights! Even for 25 yards. Old eyes are not a plus either. SO I was pleased when I reached the 4 dram test. Which I hope to post a few pictures of, me, a good group! With four holes in a 1.5" by 1.5" group, [outside spread], Tanking .735" off makes for less than a 1" group. Two lefts and two rights, now I have to redo that test and see if it continues! But it would seem that at least at 25 yards a deer or pig could be in trouble.

So the plan is now to redo the 25 yards test and move on out to 50 and at least 100.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: 500BPE]
      #260458 - 14/02/15 05:48 AM

That looks to be the perfect Iowa deer rifle! (We can only use shotguns, muzzleloaders and pistols).
Thanks for sharing the pictures and information. Look forward to seeing results from the 50 & 100 yard tests.
250 yards does seem a bit optimistic though!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Edited by Iowa_303 (14/02/15 05:49 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #260459 - 14/02/15 05:48 AM

Very nice rifle. Over time I have actually evolved a little love for the old 12bore non-Rebounding hammer rifle. This one here is one of the better and with a beautiful rifling.

Thanks for sharing your gun.

twoshots
.224 member

Reged: 15/10/14
Loc: Canada
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: rigbymauser]
      #260461 - 14/02/15 06:22 AM

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

--------------------
n/a

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: twoshots]
      #260464 - 14/02/15 10:00 AM

Definitly very nice - like Rigbymauser I find these early rifles extremely attractive - hammers (of course!), best engraving
The "loaded" indicators are quite unusual, also a sign of quality

Lever over Guard, bolted safety locks and those beautiful percussion fences make it the ideal rifle AND IT SHOOTS!
The 4 dram load is the dogs b........... (much better accuracy than any of mine)

At 10 1/2 lbs very handy too, again, thanks for sharing

TH44

Edited by TH44 (14/02/15 10:10 AM)

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: TH44]
      #260465 - 14/02/15 10:02 AM

Very nice.

May I see your ammunition please?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: tinker]
      #260506 - 15/02/15 04:39 AM

THAT is special!!! A John Blissett. I have the right hand Blissett side lock for a single bl. percussion shotgun and a beautiful lock it is. The barrel was holed with rot, however the rear 12" was fairly good. I have a liner for it but never got past the planing stage for making up a pistol on these 'parts'. Some day, maybe.
That is a gorgeous gun. Wonderful, and to get it shooting so quickly & seemingly easily - well done.

They are crossing a bit with all loads, but out to 100yards, will not matter.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: DarylS]
      #260525 - 15/02/15 01:26 PM

Looks like load development is just about over! At 50, or beyond maybe a tweak, but-- DAM!
Enjoy, and hunt with it!

Doug

500BPE
.224 member

Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: gungadoug]
      #260588 - 17/02/15 05:11 AM

"Tinker"; Sorry to take so long to answer to your reply. But here is what used as a start for the 1st range session.

1. GOEX 2F @ 110 grains, [4 Dram], load
2. Two Nitro cards,[11 Gauge], @ ,090 thick.
3. Two 1/2" thick [11 gauge] cushion wads.
4. One more .090" nitro wad.
5. One 1 OC shot cup
6. Pure lead RB @ 604 grains & .735" diameter.

I use my arbor press to assemble the various components. Also as the chamber is large, regular plastic and paper 12 gauge hulls are very lose. And the brass C D C marked brass cases fit and extract easily after firing, Extractors, non ejectors.

With temperatures today at 25 and snow, as well as a scheduled trip over the next 2 weeks scheduled, The next time to the range will be a few weeks. But looking very much forward to more testing at 50 & 100 yards.

Using the JMB site for the estimated trajectory, out to 100 yards. It appears, so far that 4 drams is the way to go. Figuring an estimated velocity of 1100 to 1200 FPS.

And thank you "ALL" for your posts over the years in providing me with the "ideas" as to where to start with the load development.

Edited by 500BPE (17/02/15 05:14 AM)

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
      #260594 - 17/02/15 09:18 AM

Looks like the velocity figures may be a bit low for RB, but- given the regulation, I wouldn't change that! You may try the wonder wads with lube, or maybe soak the 1/2" wads in a BP lube for cleaner bores. Personally, I have not had too much luck with BP due to fouling, and use Unique nitro for black in all my 12 bores, whether rifle or paradox. Looks like you are on the right path, and congratulations!! Oh yeah, BTW, chrongraphing the bore guns is hard on the Chrony!!
Doug

500BPE
.224 member

Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: gungadoug]
      #260642 - 18/02/15 02:51 AM

"GUNGADOUG".... I agree. Much further testing needs to be done.... working on a lot of ideas about adding lube or not to see the potential differences. And yes, a chrony will be tried when I am at a final load as there is a lot of wads coming out and who knows where the "fly". For now, there is no way of knowing where there trajectory might be! My "luck" would be a solid hit on the chrony !! LOL! The red shot cup is near 20 yards from the muzzle now and I have no idea as to where the others are as I did not locate any of them.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #260761 - 20/02/15 08:06 AM

Cal Pappas is going thru this with a 12 bore also. I'll alert him to come and 'play' here.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

calpappas
.275 member

Reged: 15/10/09
Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: AkMike]
      #260764 - 20/02/15 08:26 AM

Gents:
A good mate, AkMike, alerted me to this thread a few minutes ago.
I picked up this 12 bore Whistler a few weeks ago and am waiting on a ball mould and sizer. A barrel caste shows the diameter to be about .748" Chambers are 2 1/2", barrels 26 inches, and the weight is 11 1/4 pound. Rifling twist is 1:100 for a round ball. A gent on Accurate reloading send me 100 plastic hulls and I have two boxes of Mag Tech 12-bore brass cases and an RCBS reloading die set. I do have a Lee Precision mould but it is undersize but will fit in a shot cup of a wad and slip into the cases. The difference in wall thickness between the plastic brass shells is about .005-.007". It appears this rifle was made for brass cases as the shoulder at the end of the chamber is very slight. Should be fun!
Cheers,
Cal

--------------------

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

AkMike
.416 member

Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: calpappas]
      #260771 - 20/02/15 09:22 AM

Cal, Are you using wheel weight lead or pure lead? Changing the alloy will help make them bigger. More antimony or Linotype will make them larger.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

calpappas
.275 member

#260775 - 20/02/15 09:35 AM

Mike:
All I have wheelwrights. I've been calling junk yards and recycling places for pure lead mix but I can't find any.
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

AkMike
.416 member

#260782 - 20/02/15 10:21 AM

Drop a dime or stop by!

I've got some.. Lead roof flashing material..

--------------------

calpappas
.275 member

#260787 - 20/02/15 11:08 AM

Mike:
I will be in town a week from today. I'll buy whatever you don't want. I have some large denomination Zimbabwe bills for a cash purchase.
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

AkMike
.416 member

#260792 - 20/02/15 11:35 AM

Oh goodie! I'll swap you for some worthless Russian Rubles.

--------------------

calpappas
.275 member

#260795 - 20/02/15 12:15 PM

500BPE
You've a fine rifle and I hope my targets are half as good as yours.
Have you tried a projectile the bore size or do you plan to stick with undersize and a plastic wad?
I guess this will solve lead in the bore problems.
Your rifling 1 : 100 twist as is mine?
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #260814 - 20/02/15 09:01 PM

That's an amazing group, even given it is at 25 yards.

Be interesting to see what it is doing at a 100 yards. My guess it will have crossed. But by how much? If it is still close enough it would not matter much.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500BPE
.224 member

Re: John Blissett & Son [Re: NitroX]
      #260836 - 21/02/15 12:31 AM

Yes that was not expected on the first time out to see what would happen! And yes now time to go to 50 and beyond. As you all know, the "sights" were not really made for precision target shooting and my eyes are sure not what they once were. In answer to your question, for now, a 4 dram load and the same load of wads will be tried the next time. Probably be another 2 weeks before that will happen as I am now in Florida. Recoil is "firm" from the bench but not as stout as my AH .500BPE single with a 400 grain PP bullet and the steel butt plate at 6.5 pounds or my WR 5 bore at 6 drams and a 1150 grain lead ball. The deer at 40 yards that I shot, was knocked off her feet with that load.
Again, I thank all of you and your years of testing and sharing what works for you and your beautiful guns as it keeps me from trying to reinvent or learn what works with these guns and rifles.

DarylS
.700 member

#260865 - 21/02/15 05:56 AM

500BPE - in looking over your load, I believe I would maintain the use of all of the wads - the top and bottom pieces of the plastic along with the fiber and paper wads to keep the BP flame from melting the plastic and coating the bore with it.

What I now would experiment with, is cutting the folding fingers from the red wads to give more room for powder. I would experiment with 4 1/2 drams and 5 drams 2F or 1F.

More powder might/could/should have the result of spreading the barrels apart in their grouping to where they shoot perfectly parallel - thus, your leaf sights would be true at all ranges - what a glorious thing that would be - and fun at the range shooting gongs to the limit of the sights - THAT usually causes the spectators to question their scoped rifles & abilities.

Your 25 yard shooting shows the sights do you well, old eyes or not - you can shoot - that shows. So many shooters today cannot do with irons, what you have done at 25 yards.

--------------------
Daryl

500BPE
.224 member

#260884 - 21/02/15 12:22 PM

Daryl S: I agree with almost all of what you are suggesting and my experience with PLASTIC wads being in contact with BP is a real problem as you know... they MELT and leave a real problem in the case or barrel. So I have been using two 11 gauge nitro cards at .090" thick on top of the BP to prevent problems. The brass cases are too large for 12 gauge nitro cards and the 11's that I have are very snug and fit tightly inside the case.

The shot cup is for a 1 oz or 7/8's oz of shot and depending on any other filler wads, there is still plenty of room for an increased load of BP powder. As well as it gives a very tight fit of the .735" ball inside of the case.

As the saying goes, inaccurate rifles do not do anything for me no matter their costs or who made them.

Your writings and experiences and your freely sharing such, is most welcome and greatly appreciated by me and I m sure many others.

When this bore gun is up to my standards I will try to do a German built 10 gauge smooth bore, [with two sets of barrels], fully restored, and see if I can get it working well enough to take a deer with. One set of barrels are I.C. & I.C. the other set are FULL/FULL ...

Many tests yet to do.

DarylS
.700 member

#260924 - 22/02/15 04:50 AM

That sounds great, 500BPE. Any help I can be, I will. I am here to learn and to help if I possibly can.

--------------------
Daryl

calpappas
.275 member

#260995 - 23/02/15 10:12 AM

Is Precision Reloading the best place for 11 gauge wads?
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com