Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A little range time with the drilling.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
mart
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Loc: Alaska
A little range time with the drilling.
      #260403 - 13/02/15 03:57 AM

I spent the day at the range yesterday, mostly playing with some classic autoloaders but spent a little time getting to know my Franz Jaeger 16x16x222 Rimmed. It was originally an 8x57 rimmed that was resleeved to 222 Rimmed. I mounted the Hensoldt scope and tried a few loads.

It was interesting to note that once I got zeroed and started trying a few loads the first shot would go to the point of aim. The second shot about 3-4 inches higher and the third shot that much higher again. The fourth and fifth shot would group nicely with the third shot. Let it cool down for a few minutes and the first shot would be right back on the point of aim.

I have some suspicions about why this may be happening but don't know enough about drillings and resleeved barrels to say with any authority.

I suppose it really isn't a problem as long as I always make that first shot count.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: mart]
      #260408 - 13/02/15 06:19 AM

Have you got any photos, sounds like a very nice gun.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

mart
.300 member

Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #260424 - 13/02/15 02:25 PM

Here's a few pics. It's a pretty cool gun and my first drilling.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #260425 - 13/02/15 03:01 PM

Nice old gun.

I wouldn't be happy with that result, ie the vertical stringing of the placement of the rounds, presumably due to the .222R barrel warming up after being fired, and expanding.

While the first round is on target, a .22 centrefire needs to have fine accuracy. Any additional shots are going to require a fair amount of adjustment for the aiming point.

I wonder if the expansion of the barrel is blocked at the bottom of the barrel meaning it can only expand up? Resulting in follow up shots stringing vertically? Maybe experts here could comment?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: NitroX]
      #260429 - 13/02/15 06:04 PM

On most drillings, particularly drillings of some age, the bottom barrel is soldered to the upper barrels. thus produces the same thermal expansion as with double rifles.

In this case, the expansion will be show on target as a rise in impact, as you have experienced. When it has reached a stable temperature, shots will again group together.

It is a point inherent in soldered drillings and is only solved by free floating the barrels, securing them only at a couple of points to maintain consistent regulation. This allows more rapid cooling, so consistency is improved.

The krieghoff ultra (?) and blaser BD14 are examples.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #260433 - 13/02/15 07:15 PM

"It was interesting to note that once I got zeroed and started trying a few loads the first shot would go to the point of aim. The second shot about 3-4 inches higher and the third shot that much higher again. The fourth and fifth shot would group nicely with the third shot. Let it cool down for a few minutes and the first shot would be right back on the point of aim."

Common with all Drillings and combination guns with full length soldered barrels. On the first shot the rifle barrel is warmed up and expands slightly lengthwise. As the shot tubes remain cold the whole barrel assembly bends slightly upwards. Drillings with free floating rifle barrels are an old idea, first offered by A. Frank about 1910, but these contraptions are just plain ugly.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: kuduae]
      #260449 - 13/02/15 10:10 PM

Mart, very nice gun but you say that it is a 222 Rimmed. Has it been altered at some stage to that round because the 222R is an Australian developed round which came out in the 1960's for use in converted Martini's.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

mart
.300 member

Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #260455 - 14/02/15 03:13 AM

Yes, it was altered. It was originally an 8x57 rimmed and was relined to 222 Rimmed. I saw another one, of the same maker with more engraving available at Cabelas at the same time I acquired this one.

It belonged to a buddy of mine. I beat him to the punch on a very nice Beretta SXS 10 gauge. He is a 10 gauge fanatic and had been trying to relieve me of it since the day I bought it. He finally offered this up in trade and I broke weak. He included 100 rounds of brass with it.

The brass is interesting in that it has no stamping on the base. It is just flat and bare of any markings. And it doesn't appear to have been turned or machined to remove any markings. I have a batch of 357 Maximum brass on the way. I can make brass for the rifle from it, but it will be a tenth of an inch short.

dan_oz
.224 member

Reged: 04/09/08
      #260466 - 14/02/15 10:42 AM

My drilling will put three rounds into a neat group, and only after that, if I continue without letting it cool, will I start to see the POI climbing (and even then, not by 3"). My BBF would do the same. I wonder whether the extent to which yours is stringing the shots has something to do with the sleeving? Residual stress in the barrel insert for example, or arising from the sleeving process?

Most times in the field I suppose it would not be a problem, as long as you make the first shot count, but if nothing else it would be good to know that it is consistent, so that if a second shot was necessary right after the first you could allow for it.

On the brass issue, I had a .222 Rimmed, and the Bertram brass was un-headstamped. Rather than use .357 Max to form it, and have cases that are underlength, you could use 5.6x50R brass, such as the excellent RWS which I use in my 5.6 single shot.

mart
.300 member

Re: A little range time with the drilling. [Re: dan_oz]
      #260471 - 14/02/15 02:09 PM

I suspect the string does have to do with the sleeving. It is very predictable so if in the most unlikely of chances I actually miss the first shot, I'll aim three inches lower the next one and three more inches lower if I miss again. Like that will ever happen.

The 357 Max brass only comes up 1/10th of an inch short on the neck. I don't see this as an issue. The price difference is enough for me live with the necks a touch short.

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
      #260493 - 14/02/15 09:16 PM

They'll eventually stretch to the full length!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2627

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com