Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The goss on binos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
The goss on binos
      #232656 - 18/07/13 03:17 PM

Seems to be just about all the names here with a few surprises.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: The goss on binos [Re: gryphon]
      #257487 - 04/12/14 01:17 AM

I own a pair of Nikon 10x42 EDG binoculars. I bought them at an SCI show in Vegas. The optics salesman told me that they had the best specifications out there. At these shows the price changes dramatically when you forgo credit cards and peel out Benjamins. Half off retail, or the asking price, just like that.

While they are good optically, the eye piece lens covers are so bad as to be worse than useless. They just flop around the eye pieces doing nothing really until you try to use the binoculars to see through them, and all you see is rubber every time; Until you get the eye piece cover out of your view. If it snowing or raining, I swear not one snow flake or rain drop misses these lenses.

The objective lens covers are hard as hell to put on in the warmth of your home, but when afield the damn things fall off due to gravity alone if the temperature dips (even a blonde one) below freezing. Electrical tape to the rescue again. Functionality over aesthetic beauty.

Their forte is dawn, dusk, or the poachers' hunting hours. They don't seem too bright during daylight, but they do well during dim light.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The goss on binos [Re: albertan]
      #257499 - 04/12/14 10:59 AM

I've had several pairs of Swaro's and have no complaints..currently have 2 pairs of El's om 8 and 10 power..great glasses ..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: The goss on binos [Re: Ripp]
      #257596 - 07/12/14 09:16 AM

I have two different German Bino that I love. the first I've had for over twenty five years. Zeiss 10X40B the second pair is a 8x20 Leica compacts. I love both of them and have often wondered why I had spent so much money on cheaper glasses over the years. I have spent hours upon hours looking through these with no eye fatigue.
Bob

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: The goss on binos [Re: aromakr]
      #259962 - 04/02/15 05:49 PM

The binoculars that have always had excellent lens covers have been Steiners'. Swarovski, like may other brands do not like -35. The rubber falls apart. I have played with a lot of glass over the years, and the Steiners are the toughest I have seen. Optically, they are okay, but not the very best, but they, and their appurtenances, hold up to any punishment.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: The goss on binos [Re: albertan]
      #260014 - 05/02/15 10:22 PM

Have a pair of Zeiss 7x42 binos - the pricey ones, NOT the conquest variety. They have served well with no dramatics in minus 40 degree weather hunting winter caribou east of Hudson Bay. No rubber lens cover issues at all. The glass is absolutely marvelous! Must admit though, with really heavy clothing that makes one look wider than taller (I'm a skinny six foot, three inches tall), the bra strap bino slings are awkward to slip into....... Oh well, one can't win 'em all........

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2254

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com