Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No Name Steyr M1892

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
No Name Steyr M1892
      #259857 - 02/02/15 07:13 PM

Figure i'll post pics of this, it's got a horrid bore, i think i'll get it relined after i try a few rounds through it. For some reason it won't feed off the clips? It's also got a metal plate very neatly fitted into the bottom of the magazine that prevents clips from falling out when empty, which will be useful, since i can't seem to find them.

Seems to be a mish-mash of serial numbers, the receiver, magazine and barrel all being different.
Haven't taken the stock off. Bolt's not original and was taken from a Hembrug mannlicher, so headspace will need to be checked.

Anyways, here's the pics - it's had a rough life/well used and was imported from Africa by NE member HuntingSchneider. So i guess this is one of those "if it could talk" type things.

Reciever has "M1892" and "Steyr 1893" on it, so does this indicate it's an early one?

This rifle feels so nice to hold and point that i'm going to get a Hembrug action i've got built into a sporter chambered for .303 (feeds off clips perfectly)

Any info on it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ash

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: Ash]
      #259860 - 02/02/15 07:35 PM

definite british made sporter, worth to be refurbish

good look with the bore, my H&H mannlicher have a bad bore too and I am interested to hear about a liner

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: lancaster]
      #259863 - 02/02/15 08:49 PM

I like those straight grip stocks on the old sporters. I was lead to believe the B prefix on the trigger guard number was a Gibbs thing. I remember there was a bit discussed on that on some posts in the Manlicher discussion forum. For mine it's worth spending some time and effort on. Be nice to let her keep some of that character she has collected along the way though.

Ash
.400 member

#259864 - 02/02/15 09:02 PM

Once again Lancaster you suprise me with something i didnt know you had!

More photos, please!

Claydog - I do intend on getting her at least shooting again, and i was thinking leave the wood as is.. Will see what finances allow - i need to stop buying, gosh dangit! Spend on what i have, not what i want more of. Don't know how well it would clean up. Looks to be an alright bit of wood. There's no cracks, just lots and lots of dents. Was only a few hundred bucks so can't complain.

Cheers guys,
Ash.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #259868 - 02/02/15 10:37 PM

The rifle started as a Romanian M1892 Mannlicher made by Steyr in 1893, essentially the same action as the Dutch M95 Mannlicher. Steyr sold lots of rifles from the military production line to private parties then. The Steyr serial number is 3272.Apparently it was in stock somewhere for some time.
George Gibbs, Bristol, imported lots of Mannlicher and, later, Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles in military configuration and sporterized them to variing degrees, both for sale under the Gibbs name and for retail by other, even "name" British gunmakers like Rigby, Purdey and Atkin. The rifle bears a telltale B-prefix Gibbs serial number B 3175 on the barrel, but no Gibbs address, as it was retailed by another. In the Gibbs serial number system the B prefix meant: "Barreled action bought in, stocked, sighted and finished by Gibbs". On cheaper grades they merely altered the straight grip Military stocks, altered, checkered and refinished them. For some more Money they completely restocked them, most often with "Prince of Wales" pistol grips. The final retailer added his own number B 1901 on the triggerguard.
Here is again a photo of my own , Steyr 1899 dated, Gibbs Mannlicher, Gibbs serial number B 3085. The barrel is inscribed: GEORGE GIBBS . BRISTOL & 35 SAVILLE ROW.LONDON.W.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: kuduae]
      #259869 - 02/02/15 10:41 PM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=241446&an=0&page=3#Post241446
this is my rifle, still in the hands of my gunmaker for fitting the scope into the old bases. will then shoot it with the scope and see whats happen with the barrel. have some dutch military ammo and handloads by kuduae, thanks again for the help.

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: kuduae]
      #259870 - 02/02/15 10:48 PM

I love yours, Kuduae. It's gorgeous. Whats the barrel length? I think mine is 22", but i'd have to check again.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #259877 - 03/02/15 01:31 AM

Quote:

Whats the barrel length?

Still the original Steyr military length, 26".

Norman4
.300 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Vermont,USA
      #259896 - 03/02/15 09:57 AM

Quote:

Claydog - I do intend on getting her at least shooting again, and i was thinking leave the wood as is.. Will see what finances allow - i need to stop buying, gosh dangit! Spend on what i have, not what i want more of. Don't know how well it would clean up. Looks to be an alright bit of wood. There's no cracks, just lots and lots of dents. Was only a few hundred bucks so can't complain.

Yes. This buying thing puts a dent in the restoration process! You keep telling yourself you can't pass up an opportunity to get such and such a gun because it would clean up nice, and then you don't have the money to clean it up because another rare old classic comes along you can't live without! What a disease! Nice rifles, by the way. Norman4

Ash
.400 member

Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: Norman4]
      #259917 - 03/02/15 06:57 PM

Quote:

Yes. This buying thing puts a dent in the restoration process! You keep telling yourself you can't pass up an opportunity to get such and such a gun because it would clean up nice, and then you don't have the money to clean it up because another rare old classic comes along you can't live without! What a disease! Nice rifles, by the way. Norman4

It truely is! Or else you kick yourself for passing it up! Lot's of the old rook rifles are shot out and need relining, i passed up a mega cheap one that turned out to be a Kangaroo rifle (i think it was a .450 No1 on a small frame martini?) for a couple hundred backs

Going to have another Mannlicher (well, actually it's a Mannlicher Schoenauer, so a first for me) on the way which puts a delay in this one.. But i've tried to set a cap for 2 guns this year. Well...2nd month in and i'm at 1! (the Churchill i bought last year, doesn't count!). Am selling off to refine what i've got though, so i'm actually selling 2 rifles to raise money for this one.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #259932 - 04/02/15 12:34 AM

I have a Jeffery retailed Mannlicher with a plate added to the bottom in the same way.
Also, would you try to reline it back to the original chambering or go with something else?

I know what you mean about picking up projects... Seems like I will have to become a gunsmith when I retire, I have so many darn projects...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Ash
.400 member

Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: Huvius]
      #259933 - 04/02/15 01:00 AM

You bought Tinkers, didn't you?

Same caliber, I think 6.5x53 is a peach, and I need a small bore rifle badly for general use. Going to get reloading gear for it and make some cases, get headspace checked, and see how it shoots, before looking fully into the reline.

About projects - do you feel like you're saving them? I do. These old timers just want to get back into the field, you can feel it when you shoulder them. Or am I going nuts?

--------------------

Edited by Ash (04/02/15 01:02 AM)

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #259934 - 04/02/15 01:58 AM

Ash, you're no more nuts than most of us.
I like to think that by picking up these old project guns we are saving them from the scrap heap.
At least that's what I tell myself anyway.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Huvius
.416 member

Re: No Name Steyr M1892 [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #259935 - 04/02/15 02:34 AM

Yep. I bought Tinker's gun.
I agree that these old guns just speak of the glory days of hunting in far off exotic places.
Of course, some of the rifles I have "saved" would have been better off with a simple refurbishment to shooting condition rather than a full on resto. Never going to get my money back out of them but still, there is some consolation in the knowledge that a classic could go back to the field.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#259939 - 04/02/15 03:42 AM

you all have Guneritis
its a very, very bad disease and there is no therapy known. only thing you can do is to buy a classic routinely. will not cure you but make it easier to live with the symptom.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

#259941 - 04/02/15 06:43 AM

I must.
Right now I am trying to work out a full on vaccine.
Hope it works. These sleepless nights and knot in my stomach are killin me!

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

#259944 - 04/02/15 07:57 AM

Quote:

you all have Guneritis
its a very, very bad disease and there is no therapy known. only thing you can do is to buy a classic routinely. will not cure you but make it easier to live with the symptom.

A diagnosis! Thank you, Doctor! I no longer have to live in fear of suffering alone. Here is an excellent support group, for fellow sufferers also. Not so much for the wallet..

--------------------

Norman4
.300 member

#259950 - 04/02/15 10:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you all have Guneritis

A diagnosis! Thank you, Doctor! I no longer have to live in fear of suffering alone. Here is an excellent support group, for fellow sufferers also. Not so much for the wallet..

"Hello. My name is Norman4. I am a gun collector........"

Norman4
.300 member

#259954 - 04/02/15 10:14 AM

Friend of mine blew up a Dutch Mannlicher that had been converted to .303. Was there ever an issue with the hardness of the receivers? Could have been anything like headspacing or whatever. Just remembered it and thought I'd ask. Norman4

Ash
.400 member

#259964 - 04/02/15 06:10 PM

Hi Norman, welcome to GCA (Gun Collectors Anonymous).

Well, i haven't heard of any issues, i can't see how with a new barrel there should be any issues further than their could have been as a 6.5x53? I haven't done a whole lot of research on them.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/classics/mannlicher-1895/classic_mannlicher.html

There's a stock like on this rifle here for sale right now that i am tempted by..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4925

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com