Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Modifications to a LH CZ 550

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
Modifications to a LH CZ 550
      #259843 - 02/02/15 10:53 AM

I recently picked up a LH CZ 550 in 375 and intend to change it over to 458 Win mag (already have the barrel). It's quite a hefty rifle in 375 (9.5lbs bare weight) with stock dimensions that would please the Hulk. Having said that there seems to be more than enough timber in the right places to turn it into something a bit more handy but that will be a job for a pro and I want the metal work sorted first.

My questions are about the trigger and safety. I'm not sure what CZ were thinking when they fitted a set trigger on these large cals, but it seems to be an unnecessarily complicated option on such a rifle. Some seem to really like it and some don't. The trigger also sits quite a ways forward of the rear of the trigger guard. Should I persevere with the factory set trigger or swap it out for something simpler and that hopefully sits further to the rear of guard? Any other options, maybe from a local smith ?

There are a few 3 position safeties available for the RH version, but so far I have drawn a blank on one for the LH version. I know AHR have one but they will only fit it themselves and that's not feasible. Any ideas here ?

Any tips, comments or advice are welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Modifications to a LH CZ 550 [Re: JFE]
      #260126 - 08/02/15 10:09 AM

The CZ factory trigger is usually a reliable mechanism. Many (but not all)after market triggers are made with target shooting in mind. If you do not like the set trigger feature, don't use it. I sprayed mine down with Break Free CLP, and found it loosened up the mechanism to a point where a 3.5 pound trigger pull was there without need of the set trigger. Remington Oil (Rem Oil) works wonders on any trigger mechanism.

I added two cross bolts and had the action and the front bedding block (under the rear sight) glass bedded. I also polished my feed ramp to a mirror finish. This really helped feeding.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Modifications to a LH CZ 550 [Re: albertan]
      #260127 - 08/02/15 10:14 AM

That cz set trigger can have the " set" adjustment adjusted out of it . I know as I have done it to my .375 and my 7x57 . They now both have a nice 2.5 - 3 pound clean break trigger

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Modifications to a LH CZ 550 [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #283020 - 28/05/16 12:45 PM

I have a left hand CZ 550 Safari Magnum, I had to import it from the US could not find one here, and I don't mind the set trigger and I was thinking of putting a Left Hand 3P Winchester style safety on and Mauser magazine release added and I found they are available in the US, I will check my old emails and see where...........

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Modifications to a LH CZ 550 [Re: RLI]
      #285572 - 23/07/16 09:38 AM

AHR has a CZ #1 upgrade that I highly recommend. It used to include install a 3 pos M70 type safety, a match single stage trigger, and straighten and fill the bolt handle. If I were you I'd leave it a 375 H&H. Like you said, you can always make the stock a little slimmer. I had the CZ #1 upgrade done to my rifle and love it.

[URL=http://s247.photobucket.com/user/chuckscap/media/500_Jeffrey_3-1.jpg.html][/URL

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2690

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com