Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Set trigger for 1903 MS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Set trigger for 1903 MS
      #259463 - 26/01/15 03:29 AM

I recently picked up a nice 1903 carbine on Kodiak Island . It even still had the swing aside Lyman peep sight and shoots great. But the rear, set trigger has been removed. Any suggestions on possible replacement trigger ?

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Set trigger for 1903 MS [Re: 458Win]
      #259464 - 26/01/15 04:40 AM

I have an original M/S single trigger and trigger plate which I removed from my carbine when I converted it to double set trigger. There are two types of trigger plates: one fits a trigger guard which hooks into it, the other fits a trigger guard which screws into it. If yours fits, maybe we could work out a trade. I will have to look to see which one mine is.

458Win
.333 member

Re: Set trigger for 1903 MS [Re: xausa]
      #259466 - 26/01/15 05:08 AM

PM sent, I also was wondering if anyone knows if the Greek military triggers might fit as they are available

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
      #259479 - 26/01/15 02:02 PM

Within the last few months, there was an article in the Mannlicher Collectors' Association newsletter discussing all the different triggers. May be worth tracking down...

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: Set trigger for 1903 MS [Re: DonZ]
      #259572 - 28/01/15 04:15 PM

The Greek Military single trigger assembly will fit the commercial '03 M/S.

The Greek Military trigger guard bow & trigger plate is also needed when using the above Military trigger as it is cut for the single, 2 stage trigger.

The Military trigger guard bow has the same notch and lip at the front edge that locks it to the rear of the magazine frame of the rec'vr as does the commercial DS trigger plate assembly.
The rear guard screw hole is in the same position and takes the same screw as the commercial unit.

I have found that some of the Military guard & bow trigger plates are a bit wider than the commercial DST unit and may need some additional inletting. Some not.

Some find the Military TG guard bow unnecessarily large in size. I guess you could live with it or do some metalsmithing and cut and weld to reduce it's size.
The Military single trigger does end up positioned in the middle of the bow,, necessary as it is a 2 stage pull and it needs the extra length behind it to complete that 2 stage pull.
You can heat and bend the lower portion of the trigger and reposition it slightly to the rear of the bow for a better look,,there is a some room for that. But really, the single trigger is in nearly the same position as the front trigger of the DST unit. It just looks off on it's own w/o a set trigger taking up any room behind it.

The original shotgun style trigger guard of the DST unit can be fitted to the Military guard plate after removing the bow. But some careful work is required as a deep cut is made behind the trigger opening slot to reduce weight of the unit and you have to be carefull not to file too far there. But it can be done. Also, the front of the guard is a hook,not a screw fitting, so that takes a bit of extra care in fitting too.

458Win
.333 member

Re: Set trigger for 1903 MS [Re: 2152hq]
      #259573 - 28/01/15 04:29 PM

This is why these forums are so great as I have had my question answered within two days. It also looks like I will be just as well off using the rifle as is until I find another rear set trigger.
Thanks everyone,

--------------------
Phil Shoemaker

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
      #259589 - 29/01/15 01:03 AM

This may help and then maybe not. Track-of-the-Wolf has DST trigger blanks
which no doubt could be used to make a back trigger etc. I found them a bit
too thick but not a huge problem. Not expensive either, so may be worth a try.
--- John

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2684

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com