Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Adjusting ejectors?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
GPJ12345
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/12
Loc: South Africa
Adjusting ejectors?
      #259198 - 19/01/15 03:08 PM

Good day to you all members

I recently acquired a W.W Greener 12 ga Empire grade model ejector type, is there a method to adjust the ejectors to enable them to eject more forceful? In comparison with an Amstrong & company best quality shotgun the ejectors of this W.W Greener does not eject that strongly ..

I really would like to converse with someone who can assist me.

Gert

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Adjusting ejectors? [Re: GPJ12345]
      #259202 - 19/01/15 07:09 PM

Shotgun ejectors have spring loaded hammers or rods built into the forearm to activate the ejectors which are triggered as the gun is broken open. Weak ejectors are directly related to weakened springs unless there is a bent part (extractor/ejector slide for instance) binding somewhere. From your question it seems both ejectors are weak in throwing out the empty shells tending to suggest springs weakened through age. Even if one un-cocks the shotgun to relieve pressure on the main hammer springs during storage (preferably using snap caps), the ejector hammers will always remained in the cocked position.

Check the condition of the extractors and what ever springs are used in the forend, possibly broken and if coils will still work in that condition but weaker than undamaged ones.

Of course this diagnoses is contingent on the fire cases not themselves sticking in the chambers caused by rust or pitting etc?

GPJ12345
.300 member

Re: Adjusting ejectors? [Re: eagle27]
      #259400 - 24/01/15 08:23 AM

Eagle 27

Your reply is much appreciated, as I mentioned before this shotgun is still in excellent condition, but I will start my search by looking at the spring in the fore-end...thank you very much...

Gert

Edited by GPJ12345 (24/01/15 08:24 AM)

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #259458 - 26/01/15 01:35 AM

Gert,
The first thing to do of course is to pull out the ejectors themselves and make sure that the stems aren't bent or dirty. The blades could also bind up if there is any dirt present. Either of these conditions will slow down the kick of the ejectors. A very little bit of dirt between the two halves of the ejector stems will cause them to be too tight in the hole they fit into. Anything that is bent even a little bit will need to be carefully straightened.
As Eagle says above, you also need to inspect for weak ejector springs. Someone who really knows ejectors could probably remove the springs, if they are flat springs, anneal them to a soft state, and re-harden and temper them back to an "as new" state of power.
I am always amazed when I find an otherwise clean and oiled gun where the owner has never thought to remove the ejectors or the extractors, as the case may be, and clean out the hole or the stems to make them work better. Another place that is regularly missed in cleaning is the bottom of the blind hole in some guns where the Greener crossbolt operates.
If you feel up to doing the job, I would suggest that you carefully dismantle the newly accuired Greener and thoroughly clean and lightly oil all the parts, then put her back together again and see if there was any improvement. If you are not familiar with ejector mechanisms, I would suggest that you let a trained gunsmith work on the forend part of the mechanism. Ejectors and their timing, are kind of a speciality area, best left to the trained experts, I think. Good luck with your project. Bob

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Adjusting ejectors? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #259459 - 26/01/15 01:47 AM

Gert,
I had another thought after posting the last message. Because we have been talking in the past about conversion guns, I know that you are considering possibly converting this Greener to a large bore rifle, and if you decide to go ahead with that plan, weaker ejectors may be just the ticket for a rifled gun. One reason I don't like ejectors on rifles is that they tend to throw your valuable brass all over the place. I hate getting down on my hands and knees to try and find a few lost cases. With the conversion brass cases being smaller and maybe lighter in weight, the softer ejectors may be just what you want. If you do this conversion, I would finish it up first, then try the ejectors with the new cases before worrying about them.
You can always do something with them afterwards, but that may not be necessary. Many problems are best left alone till we get the whole picture. Bob

GPJ12345
.300 member

Re: Adjusting ejectors? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #259467 - 26/01/15 05:22 AM

Good day to you Bob

It really is nice to hear from you again, it always is much appreciated to receive answers to questions from the members of this great forum. I will definitely use the Greener for a double rifle build as planned ...at this stage is is still a far way off...since I need to build a pilot conversion double rifle, maybe two while using 8x57 JS step barrels to build a 8x57 JRS or two since I have access to free 8x57 JS step barrels...I am currently studying Ellis Brown`s book, and I did received a lot of info and guidance from you as well for what I really am extremely great-full , and from fellow members on this forum.....

But I really would like to try and sort out the ejectors problem to gain more knowledge in this regard...It is a subject I really am a novice on...since it is my own rifle I will try to fix it myself with the guidance of you naturally....

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #259468 - 26/01/15 05:37 AM

While Bob's suggestion has merit, any empty rifle case is likely to be heavier than a plastic 12g so I suggest the issue of weak ejectors will remain or perhaps be worse once the planned conversion is done. Of course some owners of double rifles prefer non-ejectors but if you are going to have ejectors they are better to be working properly to throw cases clear or eject into the hand as many reloaders even of shotguns will do.

I would definitely agree with Bob that the ejector mechanism built into the for-end is often neglected when the gun is being cleaned and maintained. Usually there are only a couple of screws to undo and the whole mechanism can be lifted from the fore-end to be cleaned and oiled. The fore-end is a nice trap for moisture, dirt and grit and the mechanism contained within invariably gets gummed up pretty badly in guns that maybe nicely cleaned on the surface but no deeper. Bob's advice is good re stripping and cleaning.

GPJ12345
.300 member

Re: Adjusting ejectors? [Re: eagle27]
      #259506 - 27/01/15 06:31 AM

Good day to you Eagle27

Thank you kindly for the informative reply, as I mentioned I really do want to repair the ejectors since I believe it is good to solve such a problem, I will benefit in getting more knowledge regarding the ejector mechanism and how to repair it...I currently am a complete novice regarding any double shotgun or rifle...I need to gain more knowledge. It really is important to me to be knowledgeable about shotgun/ double rifle`s mechanisms ....if workload permits I want to build a falling block double rifle as well ...it is one of the reasons I need to know more about trigger/ejector mechanisms.

Regards

Gert

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1879

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com