Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kreigoff Doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
gunbug
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/05
Loc: british columbia
Kreigoff Doubles
      #258518 - 03/01/15 02:52 PM

I don't see any posts here about the Kreigoff doubles with combi cocking devise.Anyone
have Any experience with them .Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: gunbug]
      #258529 - 03/01/15 04:54 PM

I really like mine. It's a scoped 9.3x74 and the combi cocking device works well.

My only complaint is that, when broken for reloading, the barrels tend to spring up a little so I have to sort of hold them down while I clear the empties and replace with live rounds.

Cheers.

GG

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: GG375]
      #258530 - 03/01/15 05:00 PM

I've used one. I don't mind the safety/cocking device. I think such a device is actually quite useful on a rifle which may be carried a lot with rounds in the chambers. I find the uncocking device on my bolt action Mauser M03 very useful and more reassuring than a usual safety. Given the barrel must still be pointed in a safe direction but it is more reassuring.

I think for professional hunters a decocker on a double rifle would be an excellent idea. The DR could be kept loaded but decocked and carried far more than it is ever shot.

I don't mind the Germanic styling of the Kriefhoff's but do prefer a more English styled DR.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #258536 - 03/01/15 07:01 PM

I have shot my friends 450/400 couple of times.

Rifle feels slim but compact and shoots straight.

Due to thick barrel walls feels nose heavy i.e. swings slow, but one can get used to. Triggers are crisp.

Sights are decent

Cocking feature is alright, you cock it on the way to the shoulder amd once you get used to it became second nature - much better than on Blaser S2, since the rifle stays cocked when reloading while S2 has to be cocked every time you open/close it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfXpt8e9oU

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: 93mouse]
      #258540 - 03/01/15 08:06 PM

I bought one as a present for my old friend Ricus DeVilliers, a PH, in .500 NE. He carries it everywhere and is very happy with it, best

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #258543 - 03/01/15 10:22 PM

Might be that barrels are made of the same contour regardless the caliber - therefore there is less "meat" on bigger calibers and balance gets better?

Nevertheless K-guns are sound piece of equipment - give me one anytime - FWIW Ganyana shoots one in .375 H&H FL

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: GG375]
      #258544 - 03/01/15 10:30 PM

Quote:

My only complaint is that, when broken for reloading, the barrels tend to spring up a little so I have to sort of hold them down while I clear the empties and replace with live rounds.

Cheers.

GG

Might occur in any break rifle/gun - my Merkel used to behave the same until a trip to gunsmith - easy fix I was told...I bet guys here will put some light on this issue.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #258545 - 03/01/15 11:07 PM

One of the ones I used was a 9.3x74R and may have been a lighter model than the .375 and up model??? Often is the case. I did not notice the 9.3mm being muzzle heavy.

The same barrel profile for .375, .400, .470 etc is probably correct however. From memory and from the net, not handling.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #258546 - 03/01/15 11:38 PM

John you are correct - K doubles divide into Classic DR (7 - 9.3mm) and Big Five DR (.375 up) - hence two barrel contours - similar to Merkels.

P.S. Oh yes - don't forget that latest models sport ejecors - not available on older models.

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #258564 - 04/01/15 05:46 AM

Well, he used to. I believe it has gotten a new home.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

nitro450exp
.333 member

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: Yochanan]
      #258624 - 05/01/15 11:52 AM

Hello

I have a 470 Grade II it's been to Africa 2 times.
Well built accurate gun.

Nitro

--------------------
"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall

45/70 DR / 12ga Paradox
470 NE DR
12 Bore DR
20 Bore DR
450 NE SR
577 NE SR

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: nitro450exp]
      #258797 - 08/01/15 01:37 PM

When the K-rifles first came to the USA, we saw them at the DSC convention, where the importer had a booth. The two guys manning the booth had only a rudimentary understanding of how the rifle’s lock system worked, and we had less idea of how it worked. The only thing they knew was it was safe to carry loaded and had to be cocked with what is normally called a safety button. Beyond that they had no idea about anything else about the rifle other than it was priced at just under $10K USD.

This was not the booth guys fault. They simply had not been told exactly how the rifle’s locks worked. However this led most to fear this thing as an accident just waiting to happen. Add to that the first examples handled like a fence post, most did not like the palm swell pistol grip. People who are old time double rifle users are naturally leery of a rifle that is a vast departure from the long accepted way a double rifle works.

I must say our opinions were all wet on this rifle! We all assumed the rifle had to be re-cocked after every opening of the action after a re-load. Not a system I’d want in a close fight with a lion! That is not the case as the K-rifle, once cocked, shot, opened and reloaded the rifle re-cocks it’s self on opening just like most hammerless double rifles and is ready to fire as soon as closed.

Contrary to what some think, it does not have the same system as the Blaser S-2. The Blaser S-2 does have to be re-cocked if opened for any reason.

It took a while but most today have found the value in the system in the K-rifle, and
most today find the K-rifle a very safe rifle, and well made, and not the buggy-man it was first assumed to be.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Kreigoff Doubles [Re: gunbug]
      #266961 - 25/06/15 12:35 PM

I love mine in 470 Nitro

Its been to Africa 3 times with success on each trip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5921

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com