Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Browning Continental 30-06, anyone own or shoot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Brian
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: NY (Delaware County)
Browning Continental 30-06, anyone own or shoot
      #258510 - 03/01/15 12:04 PM

I have heard all kinds of accuracy claims regarding the Browning Continental 30-06.
what weight were they regulated for? 165, 180?
durability?
accuracy at 100 yards and beyond?
all input appreciated

--------------------
Brian

LTC, IN
Back from Afghanistan
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc.
Endowment Member NRA
Delaware County, NY

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
davidindallas
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/10
Loc: Texas
Re: Browning Continental 30-06, anyone own or shoot [Re: Brian]
      #284082 - 18/06/16 07:47 AM

I have one but, like most I suspect, have never shot it. There are a lot of the combinations with 20 gauges and some 8x57 out there. It's a nice light little double to be sure. I think a lot of Browning collectors people bought them like baseball cards and put them up in their cases. Mine looks that way and I've never brought myself to pull the trigger.

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Browning Continental 30-06, anyone own or shoot [Re: Brian]
      #284243 - 21/06/16 12:07 PM

I had one for a while. Mine was accurate, I did do some shopping and tried a bunch of premium brands of ammunition. Most brands gave satisfactory results. Individual barrel groups were good to excellent and I had one variety, maybe federal 165 or 180 grain accubonds or ballistic tips that did very well. Certainly sub-grapefruit size composite groups at 100 yards (very good for off the shelf double). One barrel was MOA or better, the other opened things up a little bit, but still very good.

They have a decient reputation, and are probably better groupers than alot of the various mid-grade european doubles out there today. Plus you have a limitless variety of loads if you do get it in 30/06, so that's a big bonus. Many of the less common calibers must be handloaded to get them to group simply because your factory offerings are extremely limited. The likelyhood of finding the favored flavor at the local ammo shop is really high.

Generally, the extreme range usage is such that the long range sights are set to the most accurate barrel and the double is used more like a single shot. Trial and error will give you a mental correction factor for use of the second barrel, although, you may get lucky and find you have adequate composite groups for extreme ranges.

I never tried mine more than 100 yards. Owned it, figured out what it liked as a rifle. It had shotgun barrels, but the stock did not fit me well, so I traded it off. Gave the targets away with it, otherwise i'd give you a better idea how it did & what it liked.

Buy one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2863

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com