Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement.
      #257641 - 09/12/14 02:32 AM

This, I just solicited from my brother, Taylor. We have long been interested in archery, much, with the English Long Bow, but with all archery indeed. We've both made a number of bows gathering and learning how from that marvelous line of books - Bowyer's Bibles 1 through 4. Since reading these, we've made a number of excellent bows. After joining the Royal Archer's Society, Taylor built this one.
Should note here, that some years back, we were at a North American Longbow Safari and on one of the vender's tables was an overweight, glass-backed and bellied long bow, a Martin custom made, 110# draw weight, for an outsized fellow. He found it a bit much for day to day shooting.
He noted that if I could draw it back to my normal draw length, which with a longbow was 28", that he'd sell it to me for $100.00. The first attempt and second attempt netted me a couple inches short. I put my all into the third pull, made draw length, but quickly let it down. I then used my left hand to put my right into my pocket and walked away. I'd torn 2 1/2 out of 3 main muscle groups off my right shoulder blade. Guess I should not have given it such an attempt, without building up to it.

Thus:

"Daryl,

The scale bottomed out at 100 pounds at around the same time I got to 32" draw, so it is likely a little more than that. I'll weigh some of the arrows and send along their weights. They are ash, 7/16" diameter, and tapered to 3/8" at both ends, but most of the weight is forward of centre. The points were hand forged by Hector Cole in England. The self nocks are reinforced with buffalo horn inserts. The fletches are lashed with silk pulled from the stole of a Roman Catholic Bishop...well, maybe that's not quite true. The arrows are made to the specifications of the English Warbow Society...fletch length, height above the shaft, spacing of the wraps, overall length and weight.

I should exercise with it this winter and then take it out to the Blackwater this spring, and see what kind of cast the bow has. I've never shot it. I'd like to have some pictures of me shooting it before I get too much too old.

Taylor

Edited by Daryl_S (09/12/14 02:38 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: DarylS]
      #257648 - 09/12/14 07:05 AM

Super cool!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #257649 - 09/12/14 07:30 AM

That is great stuff, love "The fletches are lashed with silk pulled from the stole of a Roman Catholic Bishop"
Should be great for shooting Vampires/Werewolves ?

You have some of the most awesome stuff you & your brother !

Thanks for posting & I'm sure glade your on our site !

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: Sarg]
      #257654 - 09/12/14 09:25 AM

Well Daryl.

You are a man of my Heart!.

It seems we doublerifle buffs have quit a few things in commen. I have also have been into archery for many years. I have only one bow now which is a Yewbow made by Pacific Yew Co. I nice takedown.

I can tell your bow draws to the ear(32"pull) which was they shot them back then. However warbows were made very simple often without a horn nock.

I do my own fletching when time permits. I guess fletching is a hobby within the hobby.

Hunting and shooting with an English doublerifle and an English yewbow selfbow, it doesn´t become much finer with the exeption of a good falcon.

Thanks for sharing!!.

Edited by rigbymauser (09/12/14 09:27 AM)

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #257672 - 10/12/14 02:04 AM

Daryl:
If you've been to longbow safari, we have probably meet. Through the first 15-16 I only missed #3. The second one at Clarisholm, small world. The two Dave's and Colby (the fathers of the Safari) are very good friends of mine. I've made wooden arrows commercially under the name "Whispering Wind Arrows" for 25 years, and one of the minds behind the Split-Pine Hexshaft that was made in Vanderhoof, BC
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: aromakr]
      #257674 - 10/12/14 03:26 AM

I know Colby. He shoots at the Hefley Creek R&G club every year - at the 10 day Rendezvous BC shoots.(about 14Km form Kamloops, BC)

Clarisholm, Alberta was Taylor and my first Long Bow Safari. We stayed in his 20feet lodge, the only teepee there. That was a spectacular event - especially the elephant target by the swamp and the cougar in the cave. That was an arrow buster.

For those who don't know about "The North American Long Bow Safari", you must use a long bow, and must use wooden shafts, feather fletches & be pointed with broadheads. The point of one of Taylor's arrows actually went through the 1/4" plate used on the panther target that had a 5" hole stuffed with foam for the kill zone. 5 pts or nothing. He got nothing, but his fir shaft didn't break. The point of the HH broadhead actually stuck out the other side about 1/6". He wiggled the shaft back and forth, breaking off the tip, which stayed wedged into the steel plate. With the tip broken off, he used that arrow for the rest of the day - his lucky arrow.

I was shooting an 82 pound (@28") 'Harvestor' longbow made in Chilliwak BC - kicked like a mule. That is where I bought my newer, High Powered Howard, a much lighter drawing, 74 pound bow. It is a small world we live in, Master Jack (Bob)
I have some of those split-pine shafts (unless I gave them to my bro for a birthday or something) as do quite a number of lads here. Vanderhoof is only a 50 minute drive from my home.

Rigby Master, I was under the impression that the war bows brought up from the mud of the Thames, had conical ends, ground that way to fit normal horn nocks. The writeup I read suggested the horn nocks had been eaten up by bacteria or some other bug. This of course, might have been an error - I do not know.

My current yew bow, a bit of a character bow (snakey) was made by a fellow who lives in BC here who has been making quite a number of different designed bows for a while. The picture of me drawing a longbow (72" between nocks)in the other archery thread, was one of his - "D" section bows, but in Hickory, with small horn nocks.

Taylor was given an Osage branch by a friend many years ago - it would be in the mid 90's IIRC. He split it, keeping the naturally reflexed side, and giving me the other side that was bent the wrong way. I heated and re-bent in a bit of reflex, then made a small, 52 pound flat bow with it.

Around 98 or 99, Taylor sold it for me, to a man at Rendezvous BC, at Hefley Creek. That was a time of deep despair, my back so bad I couldn't walk, let alone draw a bow or shoot a rifle. I sold off a lot of toys, then.

I have been trying to get that little Osage bow back ever since, no luck- HA! The man, Dave from Vancouver Island, is still shooting it at rendezvous and says he shoots it once a month at least. I keep telling him a self bow only has so many shots then it will break. He's not concerned. He does very well with it indeed. Nice little bow and still only following the string about 7/8" - same as when I first made it. Ahhhhh - the memories. There are at least 3 other self-bows I made, still being used here in P.G., the most surprising is a spliced-handle hickory flat-bow made from sledge-hammer handles. Still going strong after over 20years of use. The fellow keeps it (unbraced) at the back door for fox or coyotes - I do not know if he's ever shot one with it- HA! He knows to exercise it a few short draws after stringing - one of the rare fellows who listens to advice on self-bows.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

#257678 - 10/12/14 03:55 AM

Oh yeah - I should note, when the Safari was at Sooke B.C. my wife placed 1st in "Womens's" shooting a 48# Ron Fox (42# at her draw length, glass-backed yew straight bow. We still have 5 of his bows in the closet.

Tracy was 5th highest score out of 520 archers. She sure made us proud of her. Shot like a machine!

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

#257687 - 10/12/14 07:45 AM

Daryl:
The first Sooke shoot was certainly one of the fun ones, That was the first John Dodge arrow making contest, I lost to Ed Kellow from Sooke by one point, he had a perfect score of 200 points, I 199.
Colby and I met at the first Safari in 1983 and became very close friends with he and his family. It certainly is a small world!!
Speaking of Ron Fox, I saw him for the first time in many years at Larry Fischers funeral (owner of Traditional bowhunter magazine)
Bob

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #257691 - 10/12/14 08:39 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah - I should note, when the Safari was at Sooke B.C. my wife placed 1st in "Womens's" shooting a 48# Ron Fox (42# at her draw length, glass-backed yew straight bow. We still have 5 of his bows in the closet.

Tracy was 5th highest score out of 520 archers. She sure made us proud of her. Shot like a machine!

Thats some beautiful looking equipment Daryl...congrats...

Have never shot long bow, only recurve and compound..grew up shooting recurve..was a ton of fun..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: Ripp]
      #257695 - 10/12/14 10:43 AM

Thanks guys- took some pictures of my yew bow, but they turned out poorly. I'll take it over to Taylor's and have him do some 'shots'.
In the house, it was nasty- outside might be OK - having a bit of a warm spell now.

Taylor has a longbow made by Ed Kellow, Bob. Nice bow it is, too, but too heavy for me now, I think it's 76 pounds draw @28".

I remember the arrow contest as well - man, a lot of water under the bridge from them until now - yes I do remember it - by name and announcements, but not much about it, just that it was held there.

About the piles (points). I did not know there were so many different designs. I do not know the lineage of them as they could span centuries of use. there are so many bodkin designs - 3 and 4 sides - and so many blades. Many with barbed blades, if I remember correctly, were for shooting horses at long range - usually spilled a knight who was then easy prey for a dagger through an eye slit.

--------------------
Daryl

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #257698 - 10/12/14 11:49 AM

Daryl,
This archery post is very interesting to me. I and a friend down the block have just started making some selfbows. I have only completed one,(too busy with double guns), but he has made several. Mine is made of Hickory but he has used Elm,Oak, Hickory, and Osage Orange. We have also been playing around with some Black Locust. Only time will tell which of these woods are best and hold up over the long haul.
I have so many questions to ask you about this, I am going to wait while I organise my thoughts, then I'll P.M. you with a few of them. I know you are a busy guy and I don't want to tie up too much of your time, but you are the only guy I know of who understands this stuff! Many more questions than answers right now. Thanks for posting this. Bob

TomN
.300 member

Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: washington
Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #257815 - 13/12/14 01:04 PM

Daryl S Really nice bow I haven't tryed to do a longbow I like to make the short plains bows of the western tribs most were under 50 inches long some backed with sinew and some not. I like to use vine maple for the short bows it seams to work very well. I find it is harder to make good arrows then bows so the arrows that you show look very good to agen really nice bow and arrows. Tom N

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Yew Warbow for your Enjoyment and/or Amusement. [Re: TomN]
      #257838 - 14/12/14 06:12 AM

TKS guys - any time, Birdhunter50.

If you do not already have the 4 Bowyer's Bible's (I, II, III, IV) I strongly suggest you add them to your library. I found these books indispensable in making my bows. So much knowledge in those volumes.
After obtaining and reading the first one, I build my first bow - an Ash board that met the requirements in grain/growth-rings/early/late growth separation - structure was chosen. In just mulling that over, I've found I've forgotten much of it and need to re-read them.
I shot that little flat bow for a time, my first bow, a success due to the information in just that first Volume. Amazing, one usually starts by building 10 to a dozen to get a first satisfactory bow. It's an amazing hobby.
Birdunter, your available wood selection is amazing. Here, I was stuck with maple, ash, red oak, purple hart, walnut, pine and spruce. Hickory was only available in the axe, adze, pitong and shovel handles in the hardware stores. Now, the local hardwood dealer had hickory planks, but none at any time that was suitable, I felt. Hickory will allow some bad grain structure, but the better it is, the less it will follow the string.

I converted the light little flat ash bow to a cable backed bow, as in some Eskimo bows used with antlers and drift wood found along the shores in the summer time. I did this to test the increase in poundage and cast relationships. It went through a lot. Originally a 'plinking' bow at 45#, I backed it with a stretchy nylon (poor choice) wound cable to increase it's 'weight' to 55pounds - not bad for a 50" stick bow, but due to the weight of the binding and cable, it's cast was about the same. Pre-stretching the cable back to almost breaking, increased poundage again, quite considerably iirc - due to the short length of the bow - and it shot like a 60 pound stick bow - until it broke - oh but what fun it was experimenting with these concepts.

I have only made 20 or 30 bows - no actual count - maybe more - many I built while on stress leave - it was good. When I found some 'good' wood at the hardwood dealer, I'd crank out 2, sometimes 3 bows in a day - 9 to 12 hours work - lots of shavings, but once you get on a roll, it was fast fun.

These usually brought $200.00 to $350.00 depending on the bow.

I still have one, an oak, shallow "D" section (bit wider than an English Yew bow) with thinner belly, but still 'D' shaped - back of one growth ring - bit convoluted above the grip. It 'works' through the handle - I like that feeling, like my double handed Spey rods, working through the handles - the bow becomes alive - man - I'm typing fast - love this stuff. Whew! now - to correct the spelling mistakes - lol.

Tom - vine maple makes some of the most interesting snake bows - beautiful! Some absolutely require a snake skin back cover. I remember a few really snaky ones at the Longbow Safari.

I've attempted a bow from bamboo but it was not successful - wrong bamboo - wrong design for THAT particular piece of bamboo, probably - don't know and did not pursue that species enough to be successful at it.

The best laminates I built, were 1/8" maple lam on a maple core, glued with either Titebond II or one of the polyethylene (expanding) Gorilla or LePage's Glues and clamped nicely (not too hard) every 3" while the glue cured or dried, as the case might be.

One of those was a maple lam bow, 72" between the nocks and 53# has not lost a pound draw in 25 years - still have tremendous string tension at brace height and good cast. this bow had 1" string follow after being made and still has only 1". It is amazing & so easy to shoot well - traded it for a Model 96 Marlin 12 bore pump Jail Guard shotgun. I've not shot the pump-gun due to the propensity for them spitting the bolt into your face- so I've read.

sorry for rambling.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#257840 - 14/12/14 07:51 AM

LoL ! Cool post

DarylS
.700 member

Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: Sarg]
      #257905 - 16/12/14 04:22 AM

A better picture of the arrows.

I should note here, that the bows brought up on Henry VIII's flag ship, the Mary Rose, varied in weight from around 85 pounds, up to about 180 pounds. These weights were arrived at from carefully drying out many of the bows, then knocking, stringing and weighing them. Also, comparisons were made to today's bows, of the same stature and sizing. Of course many of the originals broke in this endeavor, however this range of draw weights was ascertained, regardless.

The Mary Rose rolled and sank in the harbour in 1535. Some speculate she was too top heavy with the cannon of the day. Most of her crew, marines, bowmen as well as the sailors, were drowned.

I have read- couldn't say just where, now, that by the time a lad reached puberty - maybe 15 then? that he was expected to pull an 80 pound bow.
Henry VIII was much involved in archery and other sports, as was Elizabeth his daughter. Henry was so enamoured with archery as a weapon of war, he outlawed some the popular games of the period, one of which was 'Bandy Cock' and some others of equally odd names,, decreeing that any leisure time be spent at the (archery) butt's in practice. Also- there were range limitations, or rather than no one (other than women) shall shoot at a mark closer than 100yards.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: DarylS]
      #257911 - 16/12/14 06:36 AM

Nice sticks, far to nice to shoot !

"I should note here, that the bows brought up on Henry VIII's flag ship, the Mary Rose, varied in weight from around 85 pounds, up to about 180 pounds. These weights were arrived at from carefully drying out many of the bows, then knocking, stringing and weighing them. Also, comparisons were made to today's bows, of the same stature and sizing. Of course many of the originals broke in this endeavour, however this range of draw weights was ascertained, regardless."

Really, I read that some where before & thought not, would they really take priceless artifacts & do that to them, I mean potentially breaking them ?

"I have read- couldn't say just where, now, that by the time a lad reached puberty - maybe 15 then? That he was expected to pull an 80 pound bow.
Henry VIII was much involved in archery and other sports, as was Elizabeth his daughter. Henry was so enamoured with archery as a weapon of war, he outlawed some the popular games of the period, one of which was 'Bandy Cock' and some others of equally odd names,, decreeing that any leisure time be spent at the (archery) butt's in practice. Also- there were range limitations, or rather than no one (other than women) shall shoot at a mark closer than 100yards."

Wow 100yards, 65yd is good for me, I saw a documentary on the bodies being identified by a CSI type team & they could tell the Archers from the rest of the crew from the shoulder wear & damage from a very early age !

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: Sarg]
      #257949 - 17/12/14 03:23 AM

Yes - the shape of the bones in the arms was different than the common foot soldier, along with bone structure in the neck vertebrae and misaligned bones there.
Many were thought to be Welsh and 6 footers as well- considerably taller & huskier than the normal soldier of the day.
Yes - priceless artifacts - of which I'm sure some 40 or 50 were destroyed. Some up to 80" long & VERY large in diameter at the handle to make those draw weights.

The different heads had differing purposes. The blades were to pen with the barbs holding them inside, to disrupt & panic the horses, while the 3 and 4 sided "bodkins" were for armour penetration.

I seem to recall mention of absolute cast as being over 200yards - perhaps around 300yards maximum. Today, the 'lads in the Royal Archer's Society' practice the same type of long range shooting at the butts.

Due to the extremely high ballistic coefficients and sub-sonic launch speeds, arrows slow very little in flight. Their "penetration at range", is surprising.

These arrows pictured are in the 1,500gr. range, seems to me. Today, compound shooters are the rarity who uses 500gr. or heavier arrows.
Fellows hunting with modern glass-backed and bellied longbows and recurves usually shoot from 500gr. to 650gr. arrows. Around here, that is common, with the lighter bows in the 55 to 65 pound range shooting around 500 to 550gr. arrows.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#257994 - 18/12/14 03:13 AM

At the Clarisholm Alberta Longbow Safari, a memorial competition was held to raise money for 2 of the 'flock's' families. Their men were 'taken from them' while on a side trip on the way to the Safari, - white water rafting in Oregon - they fell from the raft and drowned this happening on their way to Clarisholm. The women, travelling together did not stop off in Oregon with them. What a shock for them.

There was a full sized bull elk (red wooden disk over the heart) situated approximately 185 yards from the firing line. $1.00 per shot, being collected for the familes of the "lost men". After the archers had fired what seemed like hundreds of arrows, we'd trudge out onto the mound and collect our arrows, then try again. Thus we learned it's range.

This target was to replicate after a fashion, the famous 185 yard shot that Howard Kill made on a bull elk, on film, in Yellowstone park. Howard's first arrow went over, his second stuck into the ground between the elk's feet. The elk actually kicked at it with a hind foot. The next arrow went right through both of his lungs. He took three or four steps in a tight circle and fell over. Howard used Grandpa (I think it's name), his 110 pound bamboo bow.

Taylor and I shot close around 50 arrows at that red spot, never hitting the elk - we were short, we were long and once we finally "had the range", and shooting perfect height, we were in front or behind as the wind's strength fluctuated up and down. We all just happened to have a 20 to 30mph wind crosswind to deal with. After 2 or 3 days of shooting this contest, someone finally sunk a broadhead into the disk.

Byron Fergusson (I think?) - put on a show for us, initially shooting foam target rings, hitting through the centre and having the rings left on the arrows, spinning around, then quarters, nickels and dimes out of the air, then Bayer's Asprin tablets, all thrown for him.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #258034 - 18/12/14 09:53 PM

Daryl thanks for sharing. Some nice equipment you have and a fountain of knowledged. I have learnt a bit.

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: Rule303]
      #258046 - 19/12/14 03:31 AM

Darly:
That must have been Safari #3, the one I missed in the early years. They had the 185yd elk at #1 also. I managed to hit it twice, using a 77# Hill bow. The target was set behind the house and up hill. What fun!
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: aromakr]
      #258108 - 20/12/14 09:02 AM

Yes - that is where it was.

Here is my Yew bow, made by a local BC resident, Jene ?????? - antler knocks and it sure is a bit of a wobbley limbed bow. The tiller is perfect, but the string is way overbuilt. I'll have Taylor make me a lighter one. The pictures are not very good - sorry - one of these day's I'll have my bro take some.
My 'hunting/shooting fedora' above the bow - made from Australian virgin sheep(yeah- right) It's turned a bit green over the years, from the ultraviolet.

The Arm-war (not sure of the spelling) my bow is sitting on, was commissioned to be made for and by my Great Aunt Maggie, in the very late 1800's or early 1900's. It is hand carved oak from Southern Ontario, Canada - so been in the family just over 110years, guess it's not that old afterall.
When we were kids, we'd hide in the bottom drawer - about 5' long and 14" deep, 3' to the back of the Arm-War. Lotso f room, for 2 or 3 little kids to hide in.

The Grandfather clock in the back-ground is a 1927 German clock with beautiful chimes, trouble is, it chimes every 15 minutes - so I have not had it running for a while.

My brother has Aunt Maggie's Cherry Hutch Cupboard(all 1" cherry) complete with all 18 or 24? panes of glass original, in the upper doors, except for one pane (4" x 6") - it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is a very large, heavy hutch.

Norman4
.300 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Vermont,USA
      #259470 - 26/01/15 07:56 AM

Quote:

The Arm-war (not sure of the spelling) my bow is sitting on, was commissioned to be made for and by my Great Aunt Maggie, in the very late 1800's or early 1900's. It is hand carved oak from Southern Ontario, Canada - so been in the family just over 110years, guess it's not that old afterall.
When we were kids, we'd hide in the bottom drawer - about 5' long and 14" deep, 3' to the back of the Arm-War. Lotso f room, for 2 or 3 little kids to hide in.

The Grandfather clock in the back-ground is a 1927 German clock with beautiful chimes, trouble is, it chimes every 15 minutes - so I have not had it running for a while.

My brother has Aunt Maggie's Cherry Hutch Cupboard(all 1" cherry) complete with all 18 or 24? panes of glass original, in the upper doors, except for one pane (4" x 6") - it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is a very large, heavy hutch.

Fascinating reading! Sounds like a lot of fun. You folks do a great service by keeping such culture and history alive. Who knows? Maybe the silent bow will be the only way to hunt again someday!

Arm-War! Armoire. Our cousins in Quebec you see. We Americans took Monts de vert and made Vermont out of it so I don't see why a longbowman can't have an Arm-war. I certainly wouldn't argue with him if he were armed for war. Norman4

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: Norman4]
      #259483 - 26/01/15 04:59 PM

LOL - Armoire sure looks like it should be right.

I agree - as long as I can make a bow & arrows or own a flintlock rifle and/or smoothbore, I will not be disarmed.

Currently here, flintlocks are not considered firearms, other than for storage - as someone who is lawfully banned by the courts from owning firerams, can still possess a bow or flintlock gun - rifle and/or smoothbore - but not so a caplock gun.

--------------------
Daryl

Norman4
.300 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Vermont,USA
      #259502 - 27/01/15 05:33 AM

My brother owns a beautiful custom Jaeger rifle. Flintlock of course. I should see if I can convince him to let me photograph it for the forum someday. He uses it for some of the same reasons as you do the bow. Yes there's the history, but he feels that he will always have a shootable firearm as long as he has a flintlock rifle. He's taken all of our native game here except the moose, and that only for lack of luck in the permit draw. One day I will have a nice flintlock fowler for the same reasons. I own an inline which is about as romantic as a club, though more efficient. I also have a nice Pedersoli .50 percussion long rifle. It's okay. Our laws are similar here regarding the possession of muzzleloaders and bows by felons. Percussions are allowed, except for any of the inlines that the BATF requires a person to fill out a firearms form for. Those aren't allowed. Of course that's just here in VT, some of the other states are not so generous. I am ambivalent there. Most felons I know have given up their right and privledge to possess a firearm. The only debate I could see, would be what makes a felon. That could get fuzzy someday. But I'll leave that one alone. Norman4

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Full length shot of the Arrows - Warbow thread [Re: Norman4]
      #259512 - 27/01/15 09:55 AM

Well stated, Norman4.
A simple assault, a gross mistake made many decades ago, can have disastrous legal effects later on in one's life, concerning firearms.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10918

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com