Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS
      #257673 - 10/12/14 03:15 AM

I own several MS in various calibers and are familiar with them and other rifles.

This one is a very nice rifle in which someone in the past (it has the nice Steyr swing mounts now) did cut a "sizable" dovetail in the front receiver ring. It removes most of the words lower than the "Patented..." on the stippled area.

I am concerned that the rifle is unsafe to shoot.

I do have other Mausers with this size of dovetail cut in, and I generally do not worry about it.

What thoughts do you have on this? Too risky to contemplate? Or ok...?

I am not looking for " the correct answer", just examples that you may have had with your MS rifles.

I hope to get it to a Euro gunsmith to look at it for his opinion.

I will try and get a picture up soon.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS [Re: farshot]
      #257679 - 10/12/14 04:26 AM

My 1903 M/S in 6.5X54 M/S had such a dovetail cut in it and some previous owner had removed the scope mount and plugged the dovetail with a nicely fitted insert, which I decided to conceal with a Redfield style mount. Neither your 9.5 nor my 6.5 is a very intense cartridge compared to more modern ones and with loads comparable to factory loadings I am not concerned about the strength of the receiver ring. I also have more than one Mauser factory sporter with similar dovetail cuts, presumably made at the factory.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS [Re: xausa]
      #257683 - 10/12/14 06:01 AM

Ackley used a standard M98 Mauser with the large dovetail cut on top of the front bridge.
This one, with the round used in the blowup tests, blew the barrel and top of the bridge off with the same load & ctg. that gave "normal" pressure in some of the other actions, among them a P17, iirc. I think the round was a .270 magnum probably on a belted 2 1/2" case - just a guess. So there you have the combination of what might or might not be be an overload for a normal action, with the larger diameter magnum case.

I expect it will be just fine with factory level loads.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS [Re: DarylS]
      #257684 - 10/12/14 07:08 AM

My M1925 Mannlicher – Schoenauer in 8x60 Magnum/S also has the front mount base dovetailed into the receiver ring. Through the last 20 years or so it never gave any troubles, though I shot about 100 heads of game with it, many more shots on targets. Recollecting, I must have sent about 500 bullets through it.

The Mauser, Oberndorf factory usually dovetailed their factory option scope mounts into the receiver ring too. Only quite recently European proofhouses frown upon these dovetail cuts, but this came only with the use of modern Magnum cartridges and the practice of many handloaders who try to squeeze .300 Mag ballistics out of a .30-06. Up to a few years ago, the proofhouses drove the scope base out of the slot to have a look beneath. Only if the slot was so deep to cut into the barrel threads, the receiver was rejected. If there still was solid steel in the bottom of the cut, the rifle was accepted for proof.

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Dovetail cut into the receiver ring of my 1910 MS 9.5x57MS [Re: kuduae]
      #257685 - 10/12/14 07:35 AM

Thanks you for these replies guys... it helps a lot.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com