Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book
      #257081 - 23/11/14 04:01 AM

I am looking for a crocodile hunting book but I don't remember the title. It's not a particularly desirable book but is an interesting read for me because a relative was involved. It documents an illegal crocodile poaching expedition into Dutch New Guinea by ship in the late 40's (maybe early 50's). It was led by a WWII German Afrika Corps officer who had deserted during the war. Mannlicher-Schönauer rifles were used on both the crocodiles and to put down an uprising of the local head hunters employed as skinners. I think thats enough detail to be able to identify the book. If you have one for sale or know of one for sale somewhere, or even if you know the title, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by rpeck (24/11/14 03:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: rpeck]
      #257093 - 23/11/14 11:20 AM

Spent about an hour doing this..but i think i have a name for you...

Gunther Bahnemann.

As for the book title..I'm unsure. I found this lsited as a source on Wiki for another article whilst trying to find it for you: Gunther Bahnemann, New Guinea crocodile poacher, London, Jarrolds, 1964, p. 265; reference 62 on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Detzner

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discus...=Tx6ARB0WYL30IU

^
"I thought that some readers might like to know more about my father.

Dad lived an adventures life. He first left his hometown of Hamburg in at the age of 13 as an apprentice aboard a one of the last great merchant sailing ship the "Pamir". Aboard this ship he learnt the ropes of sailing and eventually became a navigator. I recall the fantastic stories he told of rounding the Horn of Africa and the stormy passage of Cape Horn several times. The sea became a life long love of dads.

At just 17 he jumped ship in Manaus on the Amazon River and married a young native South American Indian.

From there he was called up to serve in the WW2. At 18, like so many men he saw that as a great chance for adventure. He volunteered in to the German army to avoid being conscripted into the navy. He went on to earn many medals before being taken prisoner of war in Africa.

Dad arrived in Australia at the age of 21 as a prisoner of war. After being released in 1946 he worked as a blaster in a remote Australian mine where he built a sailing boat and traveled to the Philippines and New Guinea before trading the boat in on a WW2 vessel he used to start a pearling business and also as a crocodile hunter.

He was later unfairly sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit and spent some years in jail where he wrote a number of books, some of which were published and even won many literary awards. The lead police officer won a bravery award for his arrest of dad and later became the commissioner of police. He was later caught out and was sent to prison himself following a major investigation into the police force and the government of the time.

Following this time he spent the rest of his life building boats and dreaming of the sea. There are a number of manuscripts of his adventures that are unpublished. I think at the time he tried to publish them in the 80s there was less interest in the type of stories he had to tell.

He died in 1995 in a small town in outback Australia."

http://www.amazon.com/I-deserted-Rommel-...1962&sr=1-1

Book written by him, whether the right one? I don't know.

Hope this helped.
Cheers,
Ash.

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: Ash]
      #257095 - 23/11/14 11:27 AM

I believe this is your book..

http://www.austlit.edu.au/austlit/page/C378440

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #257096 - 23/11/14 12:42 PM

May have to hunt these books down. Looks like they would be good reads.

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: Rule303]
      #257120 - 24/11/14 03:44 AM

Thank you all very much for the help. I have now found a copy.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: rpeck]
      #257288 - 28/11/14 10:00 AM

Sounds like a damn good adventure story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#257289 - 28/11/14 10:08 AM

Quote:

Spent about an hour doing this..but i think i have a name for you...

Gunther Bahnemann.

As for the book title..I'm unsure. I found this lsited as a source on Wiki for another article whilst trying to find it for you: Gunther Bahnemann, New Guinea crocodile poacher, London, Jarrolds, 1964, p. 265; reference 62 on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Detzner

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discus...=Tx6ARB0WYL30IU

^
"I thought that some readers might like to know more about my father.

Dad lived an adventures life. He first left his hometown of Hamburg in at the age of 13 as an apprentice aboard a one of the last great merchant sailing ship the "Pamir". Aboard this ship he learnt the ropes of sailing and eventually became a navigator. I recall the fantastic stories he told of rounding the Horn of Africa and the stormy passage of Cape Horn several times. The sea became a life long love of dads.

At just 17 he jumped ship in Manaus on the Amazon River and married a young native South American Indian.

From there he was called up to serve in the WW2. At 18, like so many men he saw that as a great chance for adventure. He volunteered in to the German army to avoid being conscripted into the navy. He went on to earn many medals before being taken prisoner of war in Africa.

Dad arrived in Australia at the age of 21 as a prisoner of war. After being released in 1946 he worked as a blaster in a remote Australian mine where he built a sailing boat and traveled to the Philippines and New Guinea before trading the boat in on a WW2 vessel he used to start a pearling business and also as a crocodile hunter.

He was later unfairly sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit and spent some years in jail where he wrote a number of books, some of which were published and even won many literary awards. The lead police officer won a bravery award for his arrest of dad and later became the commissioner of police. He was later caught out and was sent to prison himself following a major investigation into the police force and the government of the time.

Following this time he spent the rest of his life building boats and dreaming of the sea. There are a number of manuscripts of his adventures that are unpublished. I think at the time he tried to publish them in the 80s there was less interest in the type of stories he had to tell.

He died in 1995 in a small town in outback Australia."

http://www.amazon.com/I-deserted-Rommel-...1962&sr=1-1

Book written by him, whether the right one? I don't know.

Hope this helped.
Cheers,
Ash.

"New Guinea Crocodile-Poacher"

Gunter Bahnemann

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: NitroX]
      #257293 - 28/11/14 10:28 AM

I just bought one of the "New Guinea Crocodile Poacher" in hardcover and a "I deserted Rommel" paperback. Should be interesting to read.

I really want to go to NG and hunt oneday. It would be quite an adventure for a lot of reasons.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: WANTED: New Guinea Crocodile hunting book [Re: NitroX]
      #257316 - 28/11/14 10:00 PM

Bahnemann's Croc Poacher book has been in my library for many years, first read it about 30 years ago and couldn't believe some of the adventures, narrow escapes from headhunters etc, a real "boys-own" yarn if ever there was one!

My copy once belonged to the L.R.W.E.R. Senior Mess at Woomera, and I paid six bucks for it!

Anyone know what that unit is, BTW? They had a Survey Section and surveyed the lines for the nuclear testing at Woomera during the Cold War IIRC.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com