Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Advice on Mauser in 7x57

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Kiwishooter
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/13
Loc: Alexandra, New Zealand
Advice on Mauser in 7x57
      #256921 - 17/11/14 08:36 PM

Hi guys, I purchased this Mauser in 7 x 57 about a year ago. Since then it's been sitting in my gun cabinet while I've decided what to do with it.

I got it for an absolute bargain - mainly because the previous owner was going to spend some time restoring it, but he lost interest in it. I on the other hand snapped it up because I feel that it is rather a unique rifle with potentially a bit of history to it.

According to the previous owner, a reputable gunsmith here in New Zealand (Din Collings, based in Wellington, New Zealand) advised him that it dates back to 1923. Evidently, the stock and fittings were German and it arrived in England where it was fitted with a 7x57 barrel made by Midland Arms. Stamped on the barrel is the load – 38grs Cordite and a 173 grain projectile.
Barrel length is 25 inches and the island sights have one standing at 100 yards then 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards.

While I have not had a chance to fire this rifle yet, the previous owner told me that it shot a very tight group with 140gr factory ammo. The bore is in excellent condition.

The gunsmith also said that the silver line on the sight leaves are platinum. The pistol grip cap is evidently made from Bakerlite?, but the front tip Buffalo Horn. The trigger is 2 stage military. At some stage it was also drilled and tapped for scope bases but they have been filled and blued. They look a bit shonkey, as does the bolt handle which may have been altered for scope use.

I would like to know what the history of this rifle is, however I’m aware that it may not be possible to trace this rifle. Is it possible that this may have been used in Africa?. The only Serial number is 114999 which is on the barrel but nothing on the action. There are no matching numbers on the rifle at all. There is no Mauser stamping on the left hand side of the receiver like other Mausers I’ve seen.

I have been advised by some of the guys on the Accurate Reloading forum that it should be appraised properly before any restoration work is undertaken. There is a very talented guy here in NZ who does stock restoration and re stocking. As you will see the stock needs some TLC.

I would be very grateful for any advice, in particular on how to fix the blade on the tangent sight since it is missing the spring.

My goal is to have it restored back to its former glory. I would like to keep it as a shooter.

Regards,

Michael.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Advice on Mauser in 7x57 [Re: Kiwishooter]
      #256930 - 18/11/14 12:42 AM

First, welcome to Nitro Express!
Looks like an honest rifle but I don't see anything which would tell us anything of its history.
The grip cap looks like horn and the forend tip looks like it may be plastic or a bakelite type material.
If you take it out of the stock, you will be able to tell pretty easily what the tip is made of.
I say just give it a good cleaning and use it as-is.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Advice on Mauser in 7x57 [Re: Huvius]
      #256932 - 18/11/14 03:14 AM

Michael if it was mine I would do as Huvius suggests, well almost, I would clean up the metal, fix the sights and refinish the stock and call it a day. Nice old rifle, I'm a sucker for that type of gun - used, not abused just needs to be cleaned up.

I've seen that type of sight on Lee Speeds, that might help in finding your parts. --- John

Tentman
.300 member

Reged: 13/06/10
Loc: Southland, New Zealand
Re: Advice on Mauser in 7x57 [Re: John303]
      #256936 - 18/11/14 05:36 AM

Gidday Micheal (from Invercargill)

I saw that rifle come up at auction and you did indeed get a good deal on a nice rifle. There are several pretty knowledgeable people just within the lower South Island who will be able to help you with the bits you need to do it up, and I can put you in touch with a gunsmith who has done some very high class work on a Oberndorf Mauser of mine (saddle scope bases, rust blue etc).

For the public record I'd say that your rifle could be an English equivalent of a German "Guild" rifle, which were usually made up as an "individual rifle" by smaller scale gunsmiths (some very very talented, others more tradesman than artisan) to patterns of their own liking between the wars. This differentiates them from rifles offered by the larger makers who had established patterns/styles for specific markets.

I'll PM you if you want to make contact.

Cheers
Foster

--------------------
Southland, New Zealand

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2513

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com