Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Burning midnight oil

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: ozhunter]
      #224529 - 31/01/13 01:58 AM

Yes guys - all well here - after I have delivered a Coup de Grace - bitch climbed up to me - without a scratch - one gets lucky occasionaly

Oz - it wasn't that old - into his 7th year - wound was a month old or so, caused by another Chamois in a fight - hooked poor bastard right through the eye toward the nose. Wound healed cleanly.

Here is the main dish from my recent Croatian hunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCiQVqRH0M

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: 93mouse]
      #224534 - 31/01/13 05:03 AM

That's quite a herd.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: DarylS]
      #224536 - 31/01/13 05:23 AM

Daryl actually it is quite a rare occasion to see them in such numbers. First it is mostly upon season - winter time they tend to make groups - tho smaller - up to 15-20 maybe. However sometimes those groups coincide with each other and you may witness a display as above.
It should be noted that almost all those stags are young to middle aged (up to 8 years old). Old bulls (over 10 years old) tend to hang in smaller groups - usually 3-4 and you may take my word you won't see them flashing out in the open in the daylight hours.

I saw 3 of those "Old Dugga Boys" (sorry for expression that I borrowed from African terms - but they are just that) on my last day.

They passed nonchalantly by our empty vehicle and stood in the dense thicket some 30m away, when we spotted them.

Huge heavy long bodies, massive necks, heads held low, standing perfectly still...you tend to imagine the huge antlers they carry - untill there is a turn of the head - eish - like the whole tree moved - bright spikes so far and away from the head and so many of them supported by massive, hand thick, almost 5 feet long stems...yeah they do belong into one of the Categories of THE Hunting Species...

Here are a couple of trophies hanging in the Hunting Maison

This one was suppose to be hunted by ex-Yugoslav president Tito - never happened - somebody else shot it and it was a well kept secret for quite some time (245 CIC points) - free ranging, natural fed don't get any bigger (odd angle so - for comparison - length of the scull is app 40cm ~ 16 ""!:

Or this one - only pair of its antlers were found after Yugoslav war in those places - stag was never seen or shot (known to public):

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #224547 - 31/01/13 10:37 AM

Wow for sure - incredible rack!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: DarylS]
      #224575 - 01/02/13 07:44 AM

Let me share some more light on the place and a "typical" hunting day - latest season cull type hunt.

Place is called Belje and it sits on the border of the National Park called "Kopacki rit" - Kings hunted There - see more:

http://www.kopacki-rit.com/indexen.html

The most important fact is that there is no usual "civilized" press on the game. Place is isolated from all but foresters and hunters that are alowed to enter those premices. So game is very relaxed and you can see their usual day pattern - quite opposite than in most populated areas in EU.

Day would start by sitting on high seat as on pic

sometimes in the wooded terrain with view like this

waiting for boars that would be returning from night feeding toward their day rests.
You have to be quite sharp and fast, since boars would be passing those clearings without stopping - chalenging shooting stuff...you pass many before you manage to squeeze one in.

After 8 a.m. or so pigs would be already in their daytime dwellings and guides know those places alright. So you would be stalking those favourite spots (bases of huge old trees, thickets, remains of fallen old trees...). Ofcourse boars bedded down, out of sight, do spot you sooner or later - well before you spot them - and take off. You do your best and try to ceonnect with a shot - many times through some thick stuff, sometimes they pass the clearing however usually over 150-200m - trotting - tricky...On occasions one of the lot isn't aware quite what is going on and hesitates for a moment...consider it a gift!

This goes on till noon, when you retrieve to mansion and take lunch and a short nap till 1.30 p.m. when guide picks you up and you start your afternoon hunt by stalking toward feeders, that have been filled by your lunch time and boars are usually already on their feet, plowing around - chances are quite good you will stumble upon a lot and gave them some fire.

In any case, you would than proceed to the high seat and await dark. If boars would appear 1 hour before dark you would have a good chance for another herd to come in - taking two from one seating is nothing to write home about - no need to seat in the night, unless you are after trophy male boar. Now those are willy old birds - I have whitnessed many times them coming close to feeders and stand in some thick stuff totaly still for 1 hour or even more. They would come out only if everything is spotless, very late, many times in pitch dark. Here is one (as much as you can see of it)

Have bumped a couple of them by stalking - fair chance and great sport - if you are quick enough and have a thick wallet .

Anyway it happend so we have wounded a piglet and a friend that was with us employed his Bavarian Tracking Dog. Piglet shot in the guts with 7x65R and RWS Evo bullet made 1 mile "U" shaped track when we bumped it. Guy let his dog loose and finished it off - good chance to see how those trackings end up - tight thick close quarter stuff .

GPS data of the track

And a final approach with a Coup de Grace - Enjoy - it doesn't get much better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtijV82jCY

AdamK
.224 member

Reged: 28/04/12
Loc: Sydney Australia
      #224646 - 02/02/13 05:39 PM

Love your work!
That Red Deer footage was awesome. They just kept coming.

How do I get to hunt those monsters (the Reds)? Whats the best time of year and cost? I will be doing a few trips to Slovenia again this year and would love some of that action.

Good hunting mate.
Adam

--------------------
Rifle, bow, speargun....

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: AdamK]
      #224690 - 03/02/13 08:15 PM

Season for Red Stags starts at August the 16th ends at January 15th. Prime time rut (roar) time (September).

As a matter of fact I will give that option (Stag in rut) a serious thought - guys there are in a rather strange situation. While they don't have problem selling biggest trophies (CIC gold and silver medal stuff), there is a big amount of trully big trophies in bronze (up to silver medal) stuff, and they are ready to drop the prices on those quite dramatically.

Here is a nice 195 CIC trophy of an old 10+ years old stag:

Trophy fee should stand somewhere between 2-3K euros...

93mouse
.375 member

#256926 - 17/11/14 10:29 PM

Back from a driven weekend in Croatia

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #256933 - 18/11/14 03:27 AM

Good times!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Burning midnight oil [Re: tinker]
      #257354 - 30/11/14 01:46 AM

Quote:

Good times!

...Roll - as of today:

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13477

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com