Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First pig!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
First pig!
      #256537 - 10/11/14 09:14 PM

Well, my el cheapo spanish VG Bentley secured me my first pig ever, hooray!

Went out Friday evening/night. Walking around by the light of the full moon and the occasional flick of a small hand held torch. About 11pm my friend stopped, and went "are those pigs?". About 30m away was a black lump in the grass.. I crept up with a small headlamp, and they started running. I had the 12 gauge (side by side) loaded with buckshot, and fired after them as they ran, seeming to miss them all (6-8 pigs, I thought there was only 1 until they all ran, couldn't see the rest!). So I started running after them (on a broken toe) and trying to stuff 2 fresh rounds in. Trying to run after one, with the headlamp bouncing loosely from pig to sky..I hit a log and tripped.

Well, we were heading towards a dam, so I figured if there was any more pigs they'll be there.. It ended up only being about 50m further, we had no idea where it was before. Anyways, nothing at the dam, but about 30m past it I went to nick "is that a pig?". Went around, shon the torch..I think so..see an eye glow..YES. Crept up, about 10m away and holding the torch against the barrels I clicked it on, raised and fired. Down it went. My first pig ever!
Upon inspection it had blood from it's rear area, so it must have been shot the first time I saw them. Guessing this caused it to fall behind. I dragged it to where it is in the photos and left it the night. We ended up getting about an hours sleep between 2:30am and 4:30am, we got up and went and took the photos and had another poke around. In the neighbours we saw a pig that was estimated over 100kg. The one I got i'm guessing to be a 35ish kg sow.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: First pig! [Re: Ash]
      #256552 - 10/11/14 11:51 PM

The Germans have a traditional 'greeting' or congratulations on the killing of a game animal.

"Waidmannsheil"

Loosely translated congratulation s or hail to the hunter.

To which the hunter replies

"Waidmannsdank"

Or thankyou. And as my Austrian friend would do, you might also toast the kill with the drinking of some spirits in lovely little pewter shot 'glasses' engraved or moulded with game scenes, but using your left hands to drink only.

It is also about respect for the game. Giving it its last meal with a sprig in its mouth, a small sprig dipped inits blood is also put in the hat band to signify the successful hutner.

Another tradition of many is the blooding of the hunter. I hope your mate smeared some blood on your cheeks and forehead.

After all the above! Congratulations and Waidmannsheil. Its good fun taking your first pig and no doubt handfulls more in the future.

(PS Apologies to any of our German friends on NE if I got any of the above wrong! )

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ash
.400 member

Re: First pig! [Re: NitroX]
      #256596 - 11/11/14 09:32 PM

"Waidmannsdank"

Thanks John! I dont drink though, and only had Pepsi Max back at camp!

They have a lot of traditions. I'll be sure to do some on the next.

That pig went to the farmers dogs food supply. If i ever get a dog it's going to be named the same as one of those dogs..Kedrick. I like it.

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #256598 - 11/11/14 09:39 PM

Waidmannsheil to your Wildboar! //Staffan

Ash
.400 member

Re: First pig! [Re: Sville]
      #257811 - 13/12/14 11:43 AM

I accidentally deleted my photos.. Gah.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #257841 - 14/12/14 09:02 AM

Ash,
have to say running on a broken toe is not a good thing, but going after pigs in the dark for a farmer is certainly a noble cause - those buggers cause a lot of damage & there's not a lot of water left out there now if any at all.
I speak to our fellas from the Isa in & the cattle are just about licking the dirt off the ground its so dry & hardly any feed whatsoever; looks like your patch has still a bit of feed & water about - guess where the pigs will be!
Keep up the good work matey & thanks for the PM the other day, I'll chase that sight info up when I get that '92 home!
"Waidmannsheil"
93x64mm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2189

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com