Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Driving Band / Mono-Solid bullet tests

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Driving Band / Mono-Solid bullet tests
      #25632 - 04/02/05 09:36 AM

I've posted this over at AR, but there seems to be proportionally more DR interest on this forum.

I'm trying to figure out how hard these new mono-metal driving band solids are on barrels, particularly for Doubles.

I've devised a test in which I will use a hydraulic bottle jack to push a projectile through a few inches of rifled barrel.

I assume this short initial distance in which the bullet is first being engauged by the rifling is the most "stressful" and would be the portion of the bullet's path down the barrel that requires the most force to engauge the rifling.

The bottle jack has a gauge attached that will measure the force applied (relatively speaking) to push the bullet through.

I expect to find that a conventional lead core solid (Woodleigh, Hornady)requires X# of psi of pressure to push through the bore, and compare that to the X# of psi required to push the various Mono-metal solids (a-square, barnes, etc...) through the barrel.

Question: Does anyone that is interested in these results have a particular bullet (in .375) on hand they would like to see tested? If so, please PM me for an address to send them.

I've got:
woodleigh - softs & solids
north fork - cup point solids
hornady - softs & solids

I could use:
Barnes solids
Barnes "banded" solids
any other "solids" you're interested in comparing to conventional lead cored solids.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Driving Band / Mono-Solid bullet tests [Re: new_guy]
      #25633 - 04/02/05 10:07 AM

actually, this just came through from GS Custom.

I do the R&D for GS Custom Bullets.

When it comes to double rifles, especially older ones, I would not shoot anything other than jacketed lead and true drive band bullets in them. I have been gunsmithing since 1979 and have seen my share of trouble (expensive) with double rifles and hard bullets. According to Sabi Rifles, who are the appointed agents for Krieghoff doubles, they will not honour their guarantee if the gun was fired with bronze monometal bullets.

A jacketed lead bullet requires around 1200 pounds (roughly 10 000 psi on the base of the bullet) to get started through the throat of a barrel. A conventional copper monometal bullet takes around 1500 pounds and a drive band bullet will get going at less than 400 pounds depending on calibre. I do not have the numbers for bronze solids or grooved copper bullets and I am not set up to do a test of this nature at the moment.

GSCustom.co.za

Sound conclusive?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

BigRx
.224 member

Reged: 26/12/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Driving Band / Mono-Solid bullet tests [Re: new_guy]
      #25634 - 04/02/05 10:26 AM

new guy,

Sounds interesting. I am particularly interested how the fine body grooves of a North Fork compares to the Barnes (three?) grooved bullets and how much less effort is required than a solid mono shank or a conventional bonded lead such as Woodleigh. Please post your findings.

BigRx

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: Driving Band / Mono-Solid bullet tests [Re: BigRx]
      #25644 - 04/02/05 04:10 PM

I would expect that the relative hardness of the bullet or driving bands would be a consideration, also. Mike at North Fork told me that he would expect his banded solids to be made of a much softer material than the Barnes banded solids.

Anyone have a "Brendel" tester.. if that's what you call the gauge?... that can compare the two?

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com