Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $?
      #252931 - 30/08/14 05:51 AM

A fellow I know has an Oberndorf Model S fullstock rifle in 7X57 Mauser for sale. There are two alterations: It has a Pachmayr swinging scope mount on the side of the receiver (two d+t holes) and a scope...seems to be an old low power Weaver with a single post. The bolt handle has been altered to fit under the scope, curved back more in the Winchester style. Aside from these changes (and a bit ground off the front of the wing safety to fit behind the scope)the rifle seems in good condition, bore looks very good. It has a single double-stage trigger, original, not just one trigger removed from a DST. He wants approx. $900. (US) for the rifle.

My question is...is it worth it (with these above two alterations)?

Edited by rpeck (30/08/14 05:56 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: rpeck]
      #252937 - 30/08/14 07:34 AM

The collector value is nil, given the alterations, but it would make a terrific hunting rifle. I wouldn't hesitate a moment. Should you decide not to buy, I will be glad to pay that amount.

However, I would replace the Pachmayr mount with a Griffin & Howe, using the same holes. G&H can do this, as this Type C Sporter illustrates. It had the same alterations you describe performed on it, but it makes it all the more useable as a hunting rifle, since I don't have to concern myself about risking a valuable collector's item in the field. I would replace the Weaver scope with a more appropriate period scope, such as a Zeiss Zielklein, a Lyman Alaskan, a Noske, or as in this case, a Unertl.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: xausa]
      #252944 - 30/08/14 01:14 PM

Quote:

I would replace the Pachmayr mount with a Griffin & Howe, but it makes it all the more useable as a hunting rifle

Quote:

I would replace the Weaver scope with a more appropriate period scope, such as a Zeiss Zielklein, a Lyman Alaskan, a Noske, or as in this case, a Unertl.

IMO here is a small contradiction; first he should replace the scope mount for more usefull one and then switch the scope to older one with less advanced features. Would he with that way get a better hunting rifle i.e. type of mounts is more essential than qualities of scope ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #252948 - 30/08/14 02:36 PM

It's easily worth $900 in my opinion. I'd buy it for that. Should be an outstanding hunting and shooting weapon and probably still a handsome rifle even with the alterations. I agree with xausa re: a zielklein or other vintage 7/8' or 3/4' scope.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: mckinney]
      #252951 - 30/08/14 05:01 PM

I dont agree with the " nil collector value" statement, and its worth considerabley more than the asking of $900. IMHO

Buy it immediately

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

xausa
.400 member

Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: Igorrock]
      #252954 - 30/08/14 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would replace the Weaver scope with a more appropriate period scope, such as a Zeiss Zielklein, a Lyman Alaskan, a Noske, or as in this case, a Unertl.

IMO here is a small contradiction; first he should replace the scope mount for more usefull one and then switch the scope to older one with less advanced features. Would he with that way get a better hunting rifle i.e. type of mounts is more essential than qualities of scope ?

It's not the date of the scope, it's the German antecedants. Noske and Unertl were both German immigrants who learned their skills in Germany, Bausch & Lomb made the lenses for the Lyman Alaskan. All have superior optics.

rpeck

#253006 - 31/08/14 07:24 PM

Well, for better or for worse, I bought it. I talked him down a little bit. I paid $875. (US).

At the same time, I picked up another Brno 22F 8mm, fullstock, round receiver, not drilled and tapped, 1948, in VG condition.

Edited by rpeck (31/08/14 07:25 PM)

xausa
.400 member

#253008 - 31/08/14 08:50 PM

I imagine you paid more for the BRNO.

rpeck

#253021 - 01/09/14 07:19 AM

No, the Brno was much less...about half the price of the Mauser Model S...This is Canada and prices for many vintage European guns are lower than in the States. (But we have to pay more than the US for new guns. ...By the way, I am putting these prices in US dollars so we have a common base currency...but the Canadian dollar is only about 92 cents US....so in Canadian money the Model S cost me $950.)

I was glad to get the BRNO because I feel better about possibly using it in the field. Its in very good condition but my other BRNO 22F is in minty, near new condition and is dated 1945. I shot it at the range but hestitated to use it beyond that.

According to the serial number list in Speed's Sporting Mausers book my Mauser Model S was made in 1914, so its a very early one. 100 years old! Its in better shape than I realized. Obviously it hasn't been used a lot and has been well cared for...

I'll post a few pictures of them soon.

Edited by rpeck (02/09/14 02:01 AM)

rpeck

#253094 - 03/09/14 06:01 AM

I put the photos on the Mauser Forum Photos and Archive:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=253093&an=0&page=0#Post253093

NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
      #255481 - 20/10/14 01:22 PM

When I saw that Robin was in Canada I sent him a pm asking him to let me know if he decided to sell the Mauser. When he decided to post it for sale he emailed offering me the first shot at it. I jumped at it as it is just about what I've been looking for. It is a great rifle in very nice condition. I look forward to hunting with it.
I live in a small, fairly remote town and there aren't any stores that carry 7x57 ammo and don't have the components yet to reload this caliber. I have an Austrian made Mauser in 7x57, so I had some Federal 175 grain ammo around. I fired off a couple of 3 shot groups and the scope needs some adjustment. I don't want to burn up my ammo so I have a few questions for those familiar with the vintage Weavers. What is the movement per click on this scope? Do I have to back off the screw in the center of the adjustment dial to get the dial to move? It needs to move 8" up and 8" left to put it on target. Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions.

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: NorthernBob]
      #255625 - 23/10/14 05:15 PM

if I remember correctly, the screw slot will take a quarter, the screw slot is the adjuster.

NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
Re: Oberndorf Model S for sale ...worth $? [Re: buckbrush]
      #256058 - 30/10/14 05:59 PM

Thanks buckbrush, but this scope is earlier than the wide screw slot. I think that someone over cranked the one adjustment knob. It seems stuck, but the other turned once the metal tab that locks it was pulled back far enough.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4555

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com