Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors
      #25534 - 02/02/05 03:44 AM

hello everyone, well i'm sure you guys have been asked this before, i'm considering in buying a new double, but unlike my 470 it has extractors, have never owned one with them, would you consider extractors in a DG rifle? or would the quick ping from the ejectors be better off. thank for your inputs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: chrispie]
      #25535 - 02/02/05 04:06 AM

1) Practially speaking, you'll get use to either, but extractors do keep you off the ground and fumbling for spent cases.

2) If it's an old gun, a collectible gun, then condition of the gun is more important to me than extractors or ejectors. If the gun is "right" - then it's right... with or without ejectors and is a rare find.

3) If it's a new gun you're in love with, and plan on keeping it then see number 1 above.

4) If it's a new gun that you're not in love with and is a model offered with or without ejectors, then history dictates that ejector guns bring more on the used market.

In today's hunting environment, you'll probably never find yourself in a situation where ejectors proved to be of any real advantage - especially not a life-saving one.

If the s*&t gets that bad, you've got a PH trained to sort the situation out.

Extractors also represent the absence of one more thing that can go wrong.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #25537 - 02/02/05 04:28 AM

I would assume most of us own both. My Kriehoff has extractors. My Valmet has ejectors. But most of my shotguns have ejectors. I can't ever recall an ejector gun fail, even after firing thousands of rounds through them. The difference is the pressures that a big bore DG rifle has. I don't know if that would change things. If I had a choice I think it would be ejectors.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
      #25541 - 02/02/05 06:55 AM

I've never had a sxs with ejectors, the extractors work fine, but my o/u have ejectors and that works fine too. I believe if i was in real trouble I'd prefer ejectors simply because it's a faster reload, BUT you are going to pay lots for for a sxs with ejectors. Example neither merkel or krieghoff have them and say they'd have to redesign to get them. This leaves you with paying lots for money for a questionable thing.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #25545 - 02/02/05 12:13 PM

The Hollis I hunted in Africa with was an extractor rifle. The Hollis I currently own is an ejector rifle.

To tell you the truth, I like the extractor rifle better. The ease of opening and closing with extractors is a joy. The cases just slide out as you elevate the muzzles. A rifle having them or not really doesn't mean much to me.

Resale, ejectors. Practical use, extractors!

Just my opine.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: Rusty]
      #25546 - 02/02/05 12:22 PM

I have had no problems with extraction
from my Kreighoff. The 375 h&h is
pulled out and is held in place by the
spring tension of the "plunger" that
engauge the case head. The spring tension
is slight. A sweep of the hand removes them.

Ken
San Antonio

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: k80]
      #25557 - 02/02/05 02:45 PM

new guy:
Your assumption that double-rifle shooters discharge only one or two rounds in the presence of a PH is not well founded! My friends and I hunt boar and buff with doubles year-in, year-out, with nary a PH in sight!

I personally prefer ejectors, though only one of my doubles is so-equipped. The hand can be placed over the opening breech to prevent the spent cases ejecting if so desired.

Owning a quality double is a satisfying experience for a number of reasons, not the least of which is a deep appreciation of the gun-makers' art. To my mind, ejectors are yet another facet of the marvellous craftsmanship that is the double rifle.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: new_guy]
      #25568 - 02/02/05 11:11 PM

In reply to:

In today's hunting environment, you'll probably never find yourself in a situation where ejectors proved to be of any real advantage - especially not a life-saving one.

If the s*&t gets that bad, you've got a PH trained to sort the situation out.

Now you're kidding right, yeah gotta be.
Have to be jokin', couldn't possibly be serious.

In reply to:

Extractors also represent the absence of one more thing that can go wrong.

New Guy,
Perhaps you would be better off with a single shot rifle as they only have half as many parts as a double which, using the above logic, must make them twice as reliable!

Edited by 4seventy (02/02/05 11:52 PM)

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: 4seventy]
      #25574 - 03/02/05 01:23 AM

Here is a new twist on this subject. Ejectors for rimmed cases and extractors for rimless. I have double riles in .375 H&H and .470 NE. The .375 has extractors - and I prefer that. The ejector force on a rimless may cause the plunger to slip off. The extractor system is gentler on the cases. BTW, I've never had one slip off. And those who are unwilling to consider a small or medium bore DR because of the rimless case is doing himself a huge disfavor. Think of how fun and usefull a light compact DR in 30-06 would be.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: Marrakai]
      #25581 - 03/02/05 03:04 AM

Marrakai:
If you will re-read my first post, you'll clearly see that i'm not reccomending one over the other. Just offering practical advice on the varieties of guns in which such a consideration could be made.

Nonetheless I see your point regarding a PH, but would argue that it is well founded and that you are the exception rather the rule for today's double rifle owner. Most hunters are visiting a foreign country for dangerous game and don't have the legal ability, practical training or expertise to hunt dangerous game on their own.

I wasn't intending to make my reply back to chrispie look like a disclaimer for a Life Insurance Ad at a Phillip Morris factory, but here goes...

If you're a resident of Australia and have the ability to hunt legally and unguided, then you may not choose to have the luxury of a backup. However, if the Asiatic Water Buffalo (I've never hunted) is really that dangerous, then I strongly recommend that you not hunt him alone. Nor would I suggest that you scuba dive, mountain climb or sky-dive alone. In case of injury or if things go terribly wrong you have no assistance available in either killing the animal or obtaining help for your injured self.

Now, as to the majority of double rifle owners, who hunt as a guest in a foreign country (particularly Africa) and go an average of once or at most twice a year - you will be required to hunt with a PH (that has hunted the animals and terrain daily for years prior to your arrival) and that PH is there for your hunting success. Furthermore, he's the one that will most likely take the wheel if you really screw things up. Why? #1-His safety and the safety of his trackers. #2-Your safety.

As for the situation in which you'll most likely find yourself hunting dangerous game ((Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, etc... (I've only hunted buff & elephant, and yes I actually own three DRs from .375-.470))- these animals are rarely found in the middle of a field at 50-yards broadsided waiting on your approach.

Most of the time you will get close to them in cover, and that cover necessitates that you get close (inside of 50-60 yards) and that's the perfect situation for your double rifle. If you're Hail Mary-ing shots at distant animals with your open sighted double, then someone that better appreciates the qualities for which the gun was designed should take it away from you. That's simply irresponsible, and should be undertaken with a scoped rifle inherently more accurate than any open-sighted gun, particularly the double.

When you get the chance at a shot, most animals will run away from you when place your first shot, given their location in the cover and the subsequent obstacles (specifically trees & brush) typically not much time is available for a re-load in a bolt gun and most guys get off one accurately placed shot - or rather one shot placed with confidence. The double rifle will enable you to get off a second shot more quickly than the bolt gun, and therefore you stand a better chance of placing a more accurate second shot.

After the animal has run out of sight, you'll have plenty of time to compose yourself and reload your double (with either extractors or ejectors).

In the following up and finding the animal still alive and at close quarters, or in the event that the animal charges after the first shot, you're probably not going to have time to reload your double. However if you find yourself in the <1% of hunters that actually get charged and feel that ejectors will help you reload faster, then by all means get them. If you feel that the "ping" of ejectors will give away your location to the animal, the I suggest you prepare for hunting in the 21st Century while retaining an appreciation for the style and nuances of the 19th.

In reality, you will either have one shot left in the second barrel (assuming the animal charges after the first shot) and most hunters try to put that bullet in the biggest part of the charging animal they see (which typically fails to stop the charge...)

or they will aim for a frontal brain shot, and may put his lights out. Again, most likely however, the yearly hunter will not have the skills to pull this off.

But the even more likely event is that the PH will judge the distance from the charging danger to you and make a split-second decision as to whether or not he has time to get off two shots. If he does he'll aim for a "stopping point" on the animal and pop off the first shot and if it's ineffective, he'll wait until the animal gets to "can't miss” distance and put his lights out with a second shot. He has more experience than you do. He's a Professional hunter. This is one of the many tasks he's been trained to deal with.

So, in the average double rifle, dangerous game, visiting a foreign country hunter’s scenario – this is what can be expected... certainly not guaranteed, but expected. From there, if you feel strongly about ejectors vs. extractors, then by all means get what it is you feel comfortable with.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

new_guy
Sponsor

#25582 - 03/02/05 03:10 AM

In reply to:

New Guy,
Perhaps you would be better off with a single shot rifle as they only have half as many parts as a double which, using the above logic, must make them twice as reliable!

4seventy, I know that you know that wasn't my point, nor would i suggest that a steel pipe has no parts to break and that should be the preferred weapon for dangerous game.

Logical or not, it is an argument that is often made: and if you're of the KISS school of thought, then you should know that extractors don't have as many parts as ejectors and thereby stand a greater chance of not breaking. Ejectors are a great invention and marvel of modern gun building.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #25602 - 03/02/05 03:04 PM

For the $1K extra that ejectors cost, I figured I could pick the brass out of the chambers with my fingers, and use the $1K to pay for a kudu and an impala.

Jeffeosso
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Porter, Texas
      #25656 - 04/02/05 10:59 PM

Since Murphy is my family totem god, and Darwin an ancestor, I have a really simple philosophy in life,

the more moving parts a thing has, the sooner it WILL break...

extractors... about as complicated as blacksmith tongs

ejectors...

WLL break, more along the lines of a canjar single set trigger in comparision

jeffe

--------------------
Why do Scots men wear kilts? Because it's far easier to run with your kilt up than your pants down

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: Jeffeosso]
      #25669 - 05/02/05 08:59 AM

In reply to:

ejectors...

WLL break, more along the lines of a canjar single set trigger in comparision

Most ejector systems are really not very complex at all.
They work in a similar way to the locks in that they have a spring, tumbler, and some form of hold/release.
The hold/release is usually a simple sear or an even simpler over-center system.

But that said, if you are going to worry about them breaking all the time while you're hunting, you are probably better off without them.

Marrakai
.416 member

#25673 - 05/02/05 11:20 AM

If ejector guns could be bought at exactly the same price, and were just as common, as extractor guns, I wonder how many of us would still show a genuine preference for extractors? I suspect the number would be reduced some!

Given the way some posters here hunt (or don't hunt!), I can certainly appreciate that ejectors may not be worth the premium they command, and that's fine with me. But the fact that they always add a grand or more to the asking price of a pommie double (not sure about the modern stuff), speaks volumes about their actual worth IMO.

I would guess that most of us buy used doubles on an opportunity basis, so the relatively lower representation of ejectors in the market-place, coupled with the need to justify a purchase, will ensure this debate remains a lively one!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BTW, has anyone tried the 'Boddington method' of tipping the open extractor-gun 'over and out' to dump out the fired cases? What a stuff-up, throws the gun out-of-line and the shooter off-balance, and ends up with a scramble to get the new cartridges chambered. A smooth mount is then out of the question, the LAST thing you'd want in a tricky spot with DG!

Bit like holding a pair of cartridges between the fingers of the forward hand. Sounds great on paper, even works OK at the club, but in the shooting field on DG...? Please!

--------------------
Marrakai

Edited by Marrakai (05/02/05 11:33 AM)

Rusty
.333 member

#25674 - 05/02/05 11:45 AM

Yes I have! It works!
Breakng the rifle open on it's side with muzzles elevated is usually enough.

As in most techniques it just takes a bit of practice.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

new_guy
Sponsor

#25692 - 05/02/05 03:17 PM

In reply to:

Given the way some posters here hunt (or don't hunt!)

Come on now Marrakai, I was being nice and polite. You weren't taking a shot at me - were you?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #25728 - 06/02/05 12:45 AM

In reply to:

BTW, has anyone tried the 'Boddington method' of tipping the open extractor-gun 'over and out' to dump out the fired cases? What a stuff-up, throws the gun out-of-line and the shooter off-balance, and ends up with a scramble to get the new cartridges chambered. A smooth mount is then out of the question, the LAST thing you'd want in a tricky spot with DG!

I have seldom found anything educational or helpful in CB's writings, so I gave up reading the material in frustration a few years ago. Lots of words - very little info.

In reply to:

Bit like holding a pair of cartridges between the fingers of the forward hand. Sounds great on paper, even works OK at the club, but in the shooting field on DG...? Please!

I have used that technique in the summer hunting elephant. First, it it not useful on a stalk. I just get the rounds between my fingers during the final approach for the shoot. Second, it works a lot better if I wear a deerskin glove on my left hand. But I do not like a glove on my right hand while shootong, so I walk around with one glove like Michael Jackson.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: 500grains]
      #25736 - 06/02/05 01:48 AM

In reply to:

has anyone tried the 'Boddington method' of tipping the open extractor-gun 'over and out' to dump out the fired cases?

Though my experience is limited to North America, and Alaska, I do that maneuver all the time. I practice it when shooting the rifle at the range, and the empties do just fall out. When I shoot in the field I do the same thing and gets to be a natural response after shooting both barrels. As Rusty says you don't have to really "muscle" the gun over to the side and up out of you line, just tip the barrels up or give it a quick flick of the wrist to the side and they are out in my 9.3x74r. I wil cavet this with the statement that my "dangerous game hunting" is limited to bears in Alaska, so this might be less suited for buff in Australia or Africa. But just sharing my thoughts...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: pro's and con's on ejectors / extractors [Re: Chasseur]
      #25773 - 06/02/05 02:50 PM

Hmmm. Perhaps practice does make perfect. My apologies to those who have mastered this technique. I tried it with the two extractor-doubles I owned when 'Safari Rifles' first hit the shelves, and found that a really fast re-mount was out of the question. No doubt it works well when you're not in a hurry, though. I would definitely need to practice it a helluva lot to be game enough to do it while facing down an inbound buffalo.

--------------------
Marrakai

Rusty
.333 member

#25812 - 07/02/05 12:23 PM

Marrakai

As in all good things, a little practice goes a long way.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3756

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com