Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :)
      #255180 - 14/10/14 11:55 PM

Went hunting with my old buddy this weekend..he introduced me to German Wirehairs about 24 years ago..he is still hunting the birds at 80 years old..pretty awesome..

Had an interesting weekend with the dogs getting into porcupines, skunks and an occasional rattlesnake spotted as it was warm--70F...

I had not hunted the opening weekend for several years as antelope usually opens the same weekend however I got one with the bow this year so tried this again..have to say I much prefer snow on the ground and colder weather for hunting them. There was a lot of rain a month ago in the area and as such, lots of bugs..will take the cold over mosquitoes any day

Had a great time, lots of birds..limited out every day with lots of laughs...can't beat that..

Ripp

Edited by NitroX (17/10/14 07:39 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :) [Re: Ripp]
      #255186 - 15/10/14 04:35 AM

what a great day for pheasant hunting

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :) [Re: lancaster]
      #255209 - 15/10/14 06:00 PM

That's a nice brace (or two - how many makes a brace?) of pheasants and a great hunting dog too. I'm afraid I would be hunting the rattlers first, don't know how you guys put up with snakes in the field. How do your dogs get on around snakes, is it just a learning curve for them?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :) [Re: eagle27]
      #255222 - 15/10/14 11:54 PM

Quote:

That's a nice brace (or two - how many makes a brace?) of pheasants and a great hunting dog too. I'm afraid I would be hunting the rattlers first, don't know how you guys put up with snakes in the field. How do your dogs get on around snakes, is it just a learning curve for them?

A brace of birds is two ---

As to snakes..what a lot of people do is snake break them if they get a chance..a dog trainer will have a snake and you can bring your dog there to introduce the dog to the snake..trainer will put on a collar and crank up the power a bit ..when the dog gets too close to the snake you hit the power button on the collar...usually takes care of it..

As to porcupines which can be horrible for a dog as well, some get really upset and seem to want to get even. They will keep trying to bit them and get more and more quills in their face and mouth..which was the case with one of my friends dogs...the smart ones will get the hint more quickly and never go near them again..

For myself, I usually hunt birds more as it gets colder. I enjoy it more and the birds move into the cattails or around them easier to find plus its easier on the dogs being cooler..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :) [Re: Ripp]
      #255335 - 17/10/14 07:20 AM

The snakes are out here too again. Lots of high grass needing mowing. That's how I train my dogs for snakes too, but they are still damned too curious. Need refreshers each year if something is conveniently found.

A good days pheasant shooting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1173

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com