Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini rechamber

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Martini rechamber
      #254930 - 09/10/14 07:45 PM

I have a take off barrel in .380 from a small frame Martini & a bunch of small action Martini's, some of them with the thick side wall frame, I see in old BSA catalogues that they chambered them in 32/40, which is a long sort of cartridge for this action I thought .

Any way I was thinking I could re chamber this .380 barrel (has .375 bore) to 38/55, looks like it might just fit around the corner, any one done this or heard of any one doing it ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: Sarg]
      #254940 - 09/10/14 10:42 PM

Hi Sarg,
I will follow this post with interest, as I have a 380 rook in a small frame martini, I have been wondering what to do with.
LesLeeSpeed

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #254952 - 10/10/14 12:15 AM

^

Wondering what to do with it? Sell it to me, of course! :P

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: Ash]
      #254958 - 10/10/14 01:38 AM

Sarg - I think the standard 2" case would work better than the slightly longer .38/55 - as in blown out .30/30 or .375 Winchester case. Also - easier to get brass, ie: .30/30's.
It still seems a long case for such a tiny action.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: DarylS]
      #254972 - 10/10/14 02:12 PM

I would be surprised if you can get a 38/55 to feed in the small action...won't turn the corner.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: DoubleD]
      #255246 - 16/10/14 07:53 AM

Thank you for the thoughts guys, I might just give it a go, does not look a huge difference from 32/40, nothing to loss if it does not work I will rechamber to 375EX & screw it onto a 303 barrel stub & put it on a BSA MLE, that may not work either LoL !

DarylS
.700 member

#255251 - 16/10/14 10:39 AM

DD-Ret - didn't some of those little Martini's get re-barreled and chambered for the 5.54x50mm - or whatever that little .22 cak, long case was.
This made me think the .375 on a .30/30 case (.375 Winchester) would work as the ones I necked up are only 2" long, opposed to the almost 2.1" for the .38/55.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #255549 - 21/10/14 11:54 PM

Sarge:
Just for interest: I have a Martini Cadet re-chambered to .32-40 using the original .310 Cadet barrel. Case length is 2.13" and it fits just fine. The twist rate is not really high enough to stabilize the slow 165gr factory-load, but 150gr 8mm bullets swaged down a few thou and revved up a bit are straight shooters. This was a common conversion in the NT many years ago when a ban existed on high-velocity cartridges:- a .310 cartridge could still be chambered and fired to satisfy a curious copper!

...and a friend has a Cadet fitted with a Ruger Mini-Thirty barrel (.308 cal) chambered for the .30-30 and it safely shoots and ejects Winchester factory loads all day long.

Nothing to add regarding the .38 cal chamberings though, sorry....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: Marrakai]
      #255571 - 22/10/14 06:42 AM

Quote:

...and a friend has a Cadet fitted with a Ruger Mini-Thirty barrel (.308 cal) chambered for the .30-30 and it safely shoots and ejects Winchester factory loads all day long.

Strange, my Mini-Thirty is chambered for the 7.62X39 cartridge, which uses a .311" bullet. Surprising that a .30-30, with its .308" bullet would shoot accurately in such a barrel.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: xausa]
      #255576 - 22/10/14 11:03 AM

30-30 and 32-40 are fine in the little Martini action. Geometry prevents the use of longer fatter cartridges in the action, There isn't enough clearance for the cartridge to enter the chamber and turn the corner.

In the small Martini the 357 Maximum is marginally able to chamber. Sometimes it will fit and in other actions it will not. Some grind the feed trough out to make it work, but that has been the cause of a number of block failures---after all the breech block is technically the locking lugs.

Sometimes you can get more room for the Maximum by lowering the feed position by lowering the web of the lever. That is the correct way to adjust feed position not welding the trigger and recutting it as some practice.

The other issue of course is the barrel tenon of the small martini is only 3/4". Too large a cartridge body will lead to a bulge in the chamber over the threads. I have had this happen to every single .225 Winchester I chambered for customers. They all were warned. They all said they were going load down. What's the point? If you are going to load down use the lesser cartridge.

5.56 x 50R good choice!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (22/10/14 01:37 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

#255588 - 22/10/14 08:59 PM

Thank you for the replies guys, yes Tony that's why I was thinking 38/55 as it looks close to 32/40 & BSA chambered small Martinis in that caliber, I see what DD is saying on the tenon, it sure is small, if I use the heavy BSA 12/15 I could fit a larger barrel tenon, but was only thinking 38/55 as I had this spare Francotte (or what I thought was) barrel, I only want a 357Max really & would get one of the worn hexagonal barrels rebored if I was in the US, the .380 barrel is a Ovate style !

But this is all mute now as I pulled the barrels out of most of the Martinis I have & the .380 is much smaller in the treads & a loose fit in all the small actions I have, the BSA 12/15 is the same as the BSA 310 Cadet the Francotte 297/230's barrel is a loose fit in the BSA actions & the .380 barrel is a loose fit in the Francotte action, so I'm out of luck on this idea, for now any way !

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
      #255591 - 22/10/14 10:18 PM

how about the below someone please buy it and take temptation out of my way

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/sh...ifle-in-7-x-57R

greenshoots

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: greenshoots]
      #255606 - 23/10/14 03:05 AM

Let me say this one more time, you will not be able load a 38/55 into the chamber on a small action Cadet or 1215. The straight walled cartridge is too long and fat.

Any cartridge loaded into a martini must turn an arc to be loaded. A 38/55 rim will bind at the rear of the breech block and on the bullet or case wall at the top of the chamber.

Large long cartridges must be tapered to fit-smaller in front to make the arc.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#255607 - 23/10/14 03:10 AM

Yes - understood - the rim on the fairly straight sided case will bind, got that, DD.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#255613 - 23/10/14 04:06 AM

I was pretty sure you got it, Daryl, but it didn't appear others did also.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (23/10/14 07:13 AM)

Sarg
.400 member

#255618 - 23/10/14 07:44 AM

Oh I got you on that also DD, I would never bother to get a new barrel & try this longer fatter case in a small action, I meant the 12/15 for a higher pressure round, I know the 38/55 has very lower pressure, just you mention the 225Win also !

I had nothing to lose if this barrel fitted other than my time & I'm sure you are correct that the case would not fit around the bend & I thank you for the advise !

I also have this banged up .380 Rook drop type action that I was going to try next, but that I dont know if it is strong enough for the 38/55.

DoubleD
.400 member

#255619 - 23/10/14 12:05 PM

38/55 would work good on a full size Martini Action. I had for a while a 375 2 1/2" NE. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Basically a 303 blown out straight. Case on the .303 is a bit short however. NE brass just fine at 2 1/2".

Down side was using it to hunt with Jacketed bullets. Most .375 bullets are made up for H&H velocities. Not any good for deer. I am inclined to build another and use the lighter bullets designed for the .375 Winchester or just plain old cast bullets.

Probably the best cartridge I have seen used on the small Martini action is the 7-30 Waters. It is a good deer cartridge to start with and fits the small action like it was made for it.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
      #255629 - 23/10/14 06:13 PM

Hi Double D,

I have had a long love affair with martini's since owning a .22 as a small boy. I have a long held ambition to build a 7-30 waters for muntjac, roe and fallow deer(I am having build a GP jungle gun built at the moment, pics to follow).
Can you expand on the issues of action strength requirements please! I nearly bought an old .22 small frame with a safety, but I thought it probably would not be strong enough? (it is very difficult to buy and store actions or barrels etc for projects in the uk). I understand the issue of the case base size in relation to the knock form on the barrel but what about the action strength of older francotte actions etc?

Regards - Karamoja

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: karamoja]
      #255636 - 23/10/14 11:03 PM

First, I am not going to go into any theoretical discussion on the relative strength of the Martini actions. I am not an engineer. I am not a aware of any analytical testing done when these designs were created. So I can not quote any mathematical answers to your question.

I don't put much stock in the CIP system of proof to give us an answer as it does not give us a true measure of strength of a given action. Rather it gives us a measure of an action to contain a given chambering. It may be no where near to maximum values for the action. Further the CIP proof charges are only 120% of peak working pressures. The American proof system test the design from 140% to 180% of peak working pressure depending on chambering. The test piece is retained as an archival reference in the American system.

I am aware of some later individual tests of these action to failure similar to Ackley's test of post WWII actions. But just like Ackley's test, the resulting wrecked actions don't really transmit to hard numbers on strength, since pressures involved are unknown. It does give a subjective idea of strength.

I stick with what I have been taught and what I have experienced, and what I have learned from others-credible others. People like Chick Donnelly, Bob Snapp, Frank De Haas and P.O. Ackley. I knew Donnelly well and lived a few miles from him. I talked with Ackley a number of times at Donnelly's shop. I corresponded with Bob Snapp a number of times. I corresponded with De Haas by letter and telephone a good deal during Gunsmithing school. I listened to these most wise men and learned.

Where no data exists, I follow the guidance of these men, I try to stay with in the range of historical chamberings and similiar cartridges.

The .225 Winchester is a chambering that is argued as safe/unsafe in the the Cadet. I mentioned bulged chambers in this cartridge. I am relying on my memory of work I did in the mid to late 80's. I remember two of these for sure and possibly a third. I discussed with the customers the issues expressed by others about this chambering being to large for the tenons.

After shooting these rifle for a bit they were all returned with brass sticking in chamber-determined to be from bulged chambers. I of course looked these actions over and checked the dimensions from the original build ticket and since all were unchanged, othe than the barrel, all were rechambered, .219 Donaldson Wasp, with never another problem.

Bob Snapp has done a number of these in 7-30 Waters and when I asked about that, he reported no issues or problems. In fact Bob told me he built one of these for himself and took it Caribou hunting. Bob did most of his work on the 4A action, the thinwall cadet. He told me he thought the thick side was big and ugly, and did not do much with them.

When you ask about the merits of the Francotte action, you do need to be clear about which you are talking about...Saying "Francotte Action" is like saying Winchester Lever action. While I assume you are referring to the Francotte style actions found in the various version of the BSA single shot, Francotte and various others did make this action also. I would have no qualms working with the Francotte made guns, and most of the Belgium made using the Francotte patent. There are others I would be reluctant to deal with if I were still doing this work.

The other small Martini's I would not do anything that was greater than the original chambering.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
      #255644 - 24/10/14 04:30 AM

Many thanks, it is very much appreciated!
Regards Karamoja

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #255651 - 24/10/14 07:56 AM

Quote:

Some grind the feed trough out to make it work, but that has been the cause of a number of block failures---after all the breech block is technically the locking lugs.

I have seen this done as well and have wondered that if the loaded cartridge is just too big to turn the corner if maybe shaving the rim of the brass on one side could be just enough to get chambered. Maybe cut on a radius from the rim edge on the opposite side. Of course it would be critical to load with the shaved side down but if the trough was a good fit to this contour, it would ride right down until chambered and the extractors would still have full rim width to work on.
Kind of silly, I know, but if there were that cartridge that you just had to have that almost fit in a cadet...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: Huvius]
      #255720 - 26/10/14 01:11 PM

Late post, apologies, responding to xausa's query:
Quote:

my Mini-Thirty is chambered for the 7.62X39 cartridge, which uses a .311" bullet. Surprising that a .30-30, with its .308" bullet would shoot accurately in such a barrel

The stainless mini-thirty barrel mentioned was indeed originally chambered for the 7.62x39 cartridge, but was .308 or .309 groove diameter, ie the bullet swages down a couple of thou in the throat. I was led to believe that this is the case with all Ruger mini-thirty barrels. Does anyone here know for sure? Have you ever slugged yours, xausa? Now I'm curious....

Also, the tough Ruger stainless barrel-steel might add strength to the otherwise thin tenon to overcome any tendency to bulge the chamber with .30-30 factory loads.

A bulged chamber would almost certainly mean a stretched action at the front, a pretty scary thought!

I can only reiterate the urge for caution in previous posts.

--------------------
Marrakai

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #255837 - 28/10/14 02:06 AM

iirc read once the Mini 30 startet because ruger had .308 barrels on stock because of a project that did not happen. they use .310 barrels today for current production and the proof houses in europe will not accept any rifle with a .308 barrel for 7,62x39 anymore.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Martini rechamber [Re: lancaster]
      #255866 - 28/10/14 11:07 AM

OK, makes sense, thanks for clearing that up, lancaster.

--------------------
Marrakai

Sarg
.400 member

#264497 - 03/05/15 09:35 AM

Well I had the barrel off a couple of these Martini actions, a BSA 310 Cadet & BSA 22LR 12/15 & thought bugger it I (when I say I, I mean my mate with the lathe) will make a barrel stub out of wood to see for sure, then ended up making it out of a piece of nylon rod instead, chambered close to enough with a boring bar & turned a rim groove .

Well the 38/55 will slide in no trouble even with the .22 block in the 12/15, when the lever is pushed fully down & will slide straight out to, with the lever pushed fully down !

I don't know if this is allowable (to load with the lever pushed down, may not be ?) but it seems to work so far !

DarylS
.700 member

#264501 - 03/05/15 11:04 AM

A 200gr. Sierra or 220gr. Hornady might work OK on deer if close - ie: 100yards. The Hornady is the tough bullet here and worked really well on moose when driven at only 1,940fps, way below my .375 Winchester's top-end of 2,200fps.

A .38/55 with .375" groove diameter barrel can easily drive either of these bullets at 1,950fps in the Martini, I'd expect - at around or maybe less than 40,000psi.

Make a great little pig/deer rifle, Sarg.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#264505 - 03/05/15 12:30 PM

Quote:

Well I had the barrel off a couple of these Martini actions, a BSA 310 Cadet & BSA 22LR 12/15 & thought bugger it I (when I say I, I mean my mate with the lathe) will make a barrel stub out of wood to see for sure, then ended up making it out of a piece of nylon rod instead, chambered close to enough with a boring bar & turned a rim groove .

Well the 38/55 will slide in no trouble even with the .22 block in the 12/15, when the lever is pushed fully down & will slide straight out to, with the lever pushed fully down !

I don't know if this is allowable (to load with the lever pushed down, may not be ?) but it seems to work so far !

Great, sounds like you are good to go.

That is how it should be. It should necessary for the breech block to be slightly depressed an the breech block to spring back up and hold the edge of the rim.

If you can pull the lever down and admit the round to the chamber, then you have room to adjust the load position. Get a copy of Skennerton's SAIS 15 on the Martini Henry for the correct method for adjusting the load position. That SAIS also contains other adjustments for Martini actions.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Sarg
.400 member

#264518 - 03/05/15 07:51 PM

Thanks Daryl & DD, so is there no more to it than that, if it makes the bend I'm good to try it ?

I took the extractor out as I didn't want to change that yet, will that interfere with the loading when fitted ?

I was surprised it fitted with the 22LR breech block & much smaller/shallower groove or feed ramp.

I can fit the BSA 310 Cadet block into the 12/15 frame, saving me from converting to CF & gaining (if I need it) a much thicker & I expect stronger action & weight, if I need that ?

Then I can fit a 17HMR barrel I have to the Cadet & have the rimfire block work on that, surly the small amount from LR rim to Magnum rim would be Ok ?

Does the 38/55 have much recoil, I read on the forums people complaining of the 32/40 having to much recoil in the converted 310 Cadet configuration ?

Also I tried the 375Win shells I had first & bugger I needed to push those in by a tad, but when I found a couple of 38/55 shells they just slid in & fell out !

Sarg
.400 member

#264519 - 03/05/15 07:58 PM

DD I was playing with the action some more & when I slide the round in with the lever fully down then let it up the block just stops the round from falling out, so I could hunt with the round in the chamber with out fear of it falling out & be safe as there is no safety on these, then just close it to fire, is this how it should be ?

DarylS
.700 member

#264524 - 04/05/15 12:38 AM

Quote:

DD I was playing with the action some more & when I slide the round in with the lever fully down then let it up the block just stops the round from falling out, so I could hunt with the round in the chamber with out fear of it falling out & be safe as there is no safety on these, then just close it to fire, is this how it should be ?

That is the way it should be and the way I carry my Martini .17 HMR when hunting gophers - round in the chamber, lever down. The top lip of the clock prevents the round from falling out - however, if you trip the trigger with the block down, the lever will slam shut closing the block. In my rifle, this will not fire it's rimfire round, but may with a sensitive or overly crushed, deeply seated primer in a CF. I would test that to make sure.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

#264535 - 04/05/15 03:44 PM

The adjustment from RF to CF takes place in the horns of the lever. The 4A Cadet lever is straight hand, the 12/15 is pistol grip. It is not as simple as swapping trigger groups or just levers.

That SAIS I referred to in an earlier post tells the correct procedure for adjusting striker impact. That is the procedure used by BSA to make CF rifles from RF.

You will have reduce the striker and Bush the breech block when converting to CF. Some Smiths will square your breech face, but the change is virtually imperceptible and unnecessary.

To make 17HMR I put 17 barrel liner in 1215's. My 17HMR 1215 is my go to favorite gopher gun.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#264563 - 05/05/15 01:20 AM

Quote:

To make 17HMR I put 17 barrel liner in 1215's. My 17HMR 1215 is my go to favorite gopher gun.

I used a GM barrel for mine, a thin-side Cadet.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com