Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini rechamber

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: Sarg]
      #264501 - 03/05/15 11:04 AM

A 200gr. Sierra or 220gr. Hornady might work OK on deer if close - ie: 100yards. The Hornady is the tough bullet here and worked really well on moose when driven at only 1,940fps, way below my .375 Winchester's top-end of 2,200fps.

A .38/55 with .375" groove diameter barrel can easily drive either of these bullets at 1,950fps in the Martini, I'd expect - at around or maybe less than 40,000psi.

Make a great little pig/deer rifle, Sarg.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #264505 - 03/05/15 12:30 PM

Quote:

Well I had the barrel off a couple of these Martini actions, a BSA 310 Cadet & BSA 22LR 12/15 & thought bugger it I (when I say I, I mean my mate with the lathe) will make a barrel stub out of wood to see for sure, then ended up making it out of a piece of nylon rod instead, chambered close to enough with a boring bar & turned a rim groove .

Well the 38/55 will slide in no trouble even with the .22 block in the 12/15, when the lever is pushed fully down & will slide straight out to, with the lever pushed fully down !

I don't know if this is allowable (to load with the lever pushed down, may not be ?) but it seems to work so far !

Great, sounds like you are good to go.

That is how it should be. It should necessary for the breech block to be slightly depressed an the breech block to spring back up and hold the edge of the rim.

If you can pull the lever down and admit the round to the chamber, then you have room to adjust the load position. Get a copy of Skennerton's SAIS 15 on the Martini Henry for the correct method for adjusting the load position. That SAIS also contains other adjustments for Martini actions.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: DoubleD]
      #264518 - 03/05/15 07:51 PM

Thanks Daryl & DD, so is there no more to it than that, if it makes the bend I'm good to try it ?

I took the extractor out as I didn't want to change that yet, will that interfere with the loading when fitted ?

I was surprised it fitted with the 22LR breech block & much smaller/shallower groove or feed ramp.

I can fit the BSA 310 Cadet block into the 12/15 frame, saving me from converting to CF & gaining (if I need it) a much thicker & I expect stronger action & weight, if I need that ?

Then I can fit a 17HMR barrel I have to the Cadet & have the rimfire block work on that, surly the small amount from LR rim to Magnum rim would be Ok ?

Does the 38/55 have much recoil, I read on the forums people complaining of the 32/40 having to much recoil in the converted 310 Cadet configuration ?

Also I tried the 375Win shells I had first & bugger I needed to push those in by a tad, but when I found a couple of 38/55 shells they just slid in & fell out !

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #264519 - 03/05/15 07:58 PM

DD I was playing with the action some more & when I slide the round in with the lever fully down then let it up the block just stops the round from falling out, so I could hunt with the round in the chamber with out fear of it falling out & be safe as there is no safety on these, then just close it to fire, is this how it should be ?

DarylS
.700 member

#264524 - 04/05/15 12:38 AM

Quote:

DD I was playing with the action some more & when I slide the round in with the lever fully down then let it up the block just stops the round from falling out, so I could hunt with the round in the chamber with out fear of it falling out & be safe as there is no safety on these, then just close it to fire, is this how it should be ?

That is the way it should be and the way I carry my Martini .17 HMR when hunting gophers - round in the chamber, lever down. The top lip of the clock prevents the round from falling out - however, if you trip the trigger with the block down, the lever will slam shut closing the block. In my rifle, this will not fire it's rimfire round, but may with a sensitive or overly crushed, deeply seated primer in a CF. I would test that to make sure.

--------------------
Daryl

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Martini rechamber [Re: DarylS]
      #264535 - 04/05/15 03:44 PM

The adjustment from RF to CF takes place in the horns of the lever. The 4A Cadet lever is straight hand, the 12/15 is pistol grip. It is not as simple as swapping trigger groups or just levers.

That SAIS I referred to in an earlier post tells the correct procedure for adjusting striker impact. That is the procedure used by BSA to make CF rifles from RF.

You will have reduce the striker and Bush the breech block when converting to CF. Some Smiths will square your breech face, but the change is virtually imperceptible and unnecessary.

To make 17HMR I put 17 barrel liner in 1215's. My 17HMR 1215 is my go to favorite gopher gun.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#264563 - 05/05/15 01:20 AM

Quote:

To make 17HMR I put 17 barrel liner in 1215's. My 17HMR 1215 is my go to favorite gopher gun.

I used a GM barrel for mine, a thin-side Cadet.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com