Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leica Geovid HD-B

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Leica Geovid HD-B
      #253092 - 03/09/14 04:28 AM

Anyone using these?? Seems like a no brainer having it all in one unit..

From the articles I have read recently, the optics are for now, on the top of the heap compared to the current comp. from Swarovski and Zeiss.. I have used Swarovski for the past 20 years..but, based on this, might make a switch.

Ripp

http://www.eurooptic.com/leica-geovid-range-finding-binoculars.aspx#

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: Ripp]
      #253111 - 03/09/14 08:44 PM

I have a pair Ripp and very good they are too, best, Mike

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #253116 - 03/09/14 10:45 PM

This is a good review of the three for interest.

Suggests that the Swaro and the Leica are extremely close in performance, with the Swaro edging ahead on light transmission, but the Leica winning out on extra ballistic functions

Edited by JabaliHunter (03/09/14 10:51 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #253140 - 04/09/14 06:27 AM

Quote:

This is a good review of the three for interest.

Suggests that the Swaro and the Leica are extremely close in performance, with the Swaro edging ahead on light transmission, but the Leica winning out on extra ballistic functions

A couple of us went to the local sporting goods shop the other day and checked both out..Leica and Swarovski...it was later in the day and light was fading..our group felt the Leica was the brighter of the two and crystal clear resolution. I realize our test was probably not based as accurately as was done for this article..but that was the consensus among us..

Have a friend who has a pair..plan to grab them for a couple days and compare with my EL Swaro's..but may be a bit unfair as my current pair are 8 years old..

In addition the article I read in another publication stated both buttons on the Leica were the same size..on the pair we tested one was noticeably smaller than the other..so assuming they made a modification on that since they first came out..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #253158 - 04/09/14 03:18 PM

I won a deer photo comp and the top prize was a pair of the Swarovski 10x rangefinder binos,they havent arrived in the mail as yet so I cant input but seeing as the 'price was right' there will be nary any complaints im sure.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: gryphon]
      #253165 - 04/09/14 10:33 PM

Quote:

I won a deer photo comp and the top prize was a pair of the Swarovski 10x rangefinder binos,they havent arrived in the mail as yet so I cant input but seeing as the 'price was right' there will be nary any complaints im sure.

WE used a pair of those in Kyrgzstan last year..worked well..

FYI--One of the complaints I have heard on them is that that number is too light to see well. Some apparently have not read you CAN adjust the light level to make it easier to see..think there are 5 settings..

Enjoy, they are a great pair of bino's..

Ripp

--------------------

aam
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/09
Loc: adelaide, s.a.
      #253324 - 08/09/14 08:22 PM

This may help with another review on the Leica.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/12/leica-geovid-hd-b-review/

Scroll down to read Kiwi Greg's thoughts on the Leica.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/showthread.php?58-Leica-Geovid-rangefider-binos

Hope this helps.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: aam]
      #253332 - 08/09/14 10:54 PM

Quote:

This may help with another review on the Leica.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/12/leica-geovid-hd-b-review/

Scroll down to read Kiwi Greg's thoughts on the Leica.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/showthread.php?58-Leica-Geovid-rangefider-binos

Hope this helps.

Thank You for the info, appreciate it..

I find it very interesting how everyone has different opinions on things..guess the old adage, can't please everyone holds true in optics as well..

I have not read or talked to anyone who has stated to this point they didn't like the Leica's..really want to grab a pair and take them out for the weekend to use and compare for myself.

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (09/09/14 06:06 AM)

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #253460 - 12/09/14 02:24 AM

I have a pair of Leica's (8X20) compact and a pair of Zeiss (10x40), love both of them, each has its place. I find I go to my compacts more often than the 10x40's in my old age. When hunting with an open sighted rifle or bow. I don't really need the greater magnification.
Bob

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: aromakr]
      #253464 - 12/09/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

I have a pair of Leica's (8X20) compact and a pair of Zeiss (10x40), love both of them, each has its place. I find I go to my compacts more often than the 10x40's in my old age. When hunting with an open sighted rifle or bow. I don't really need the greater magnification.
Bob

That is what I do right now as well--I have a set of 8x32 EL Swaro's and a 10x40 EL Swaro's..use the smaller pair all the time when I bow hunt..but, during rifle usually switch to the 10's and pack a spotting scope as well...seems to work well.

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #253558 - 15/09/14 04:57 PM

I have a set of EL 8.5x42 Swarovskis and a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD s with basic range estimation.

The Leicas are far more clear and better light. The range estimation is why I bought them. Have to say though the range target box is crooked. They could have got it straight. No extra ballistic functions? Not sure what is meant by that in an earlier post.

The Swarovskis are probably 15 to 20 years old. I still like them and still use them. But I am terrible at good range estimation so having that is a big plus. The Leicas were the ones that came out with it first, at least to what I saw. First with a friend in Norway who was getting them from Germany, he is German. I was going to buy a set, but glad I didn't as they were huge big 10x binocs that German's like to cart around. Then a friend and member on here who used to manage a Melbourne gun shop told me he had one set left of the Leicas as an introductory sale and sold them to me at a good price. The new improved range came out a couple of months later, but I do not know what additional features they have.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: gryphon]
      #253559 - 15/09/14 05:13 PM

Quote:

That was an excellent prize. Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: NitroX]
      #253568 - 16/09/14 02:38 AM

Quote:

No extra ballistic functions? Not sure what is meant by that in an earlier post.

The new Leica HD-B is quite a significant departure from the older versions, both optically with its new Perger porro-prisms and in terms of its range-finding and ballistic calculation functions
http://uk.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Details-HD-B-42

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leica Geovid HD-B [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #253628 - 17/09/14 04:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No extra ballistic functions? Not sure what is meant by that in an earlier post.

The new Leica HD-B is quite a significant departure from the older versions, both optically with its new Perger porro-prisms and in terms of its range-finding and ballistic calculation functions
http://uk.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Details-HD-B-42

Apparently the folks at PETERSON'S HUNTING felt the same way based on their testing they find this to be a pretty good product..
Ripp

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/editors-choice-best-hunting-gear-2014/

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#254769 - 07/10/14 10:23 PM

My two sets of binoculars but two very different ones, one excellent optics, the other later with newer excellent optics but also laser range finding.

Quote:

I have a set of EL 8.5x42 Swarovskis and a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD s with basic range estimation.

The Leicas are far more clear and better light. The range estimation is why I bought them. Have to say though the range target box is crooked. They could have got it straight. No extra ballistic functions? Not sure what is meant by that in an earlier post.

The Swarovskis are probably 15 to 20 years old. I still like them and still use them. But I am terrible at good range estimation so having that is a big plus. The Leicas were the ones that came out with it first, at least to what I saw. First with a friend in Norway who was getting them from Germany, he is German. I was going to buy a set, but glad I didn't as they were huge big 10x binocs that German's like to cart around. Then a friend and member on here who used to manage a Melbourne gun shop told me he had one set left of the Leicas as an introductory sale and sold them to me at a good price. The new improved range came out a couple of months later, but I do not know what additional features they have.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#254802 - 08/10/14 05:53 AM

From all I have read and seen, the Leica's are a very nice bino and what I would buy today if I was in the market for a new set of bino's. I still use my swaro's --hv 2 sets--10x40 and 8x30 El's..like the smaller pair for bow hunting etc..but always use the 10power when rifle season opens..

Used a pair of Swaro's range bino's last year in Kyrgyzstan..really like the idea of it all being in one unit.look at an animal, hit the button for range, pull up the rifle and shoot..doesn't get much simpler..

I do know for personal experience that the new Leica's are lighter than the earlier models and have the ballistic info you can input for your rifle which would be great for longer range shooting..but in checking lately, in low light I felt the Swarovski's were a tiny bit better as to clarity at long distances and in low light..I realize everyone's eyes are different but that was my take on it..

Ripp

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #256740 - 14/11/14 06:17 PM

Have a look at the electronic component warranty. Something like twelve months? What will they be like in ten years let alone twenty or thirty?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4536

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com