Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: So Rigby Rifles are now back in London....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Rigby270
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/14
Loc: Sussex, England
So Rigby Rifles are now back in London....
      #254313 - 30/09/14 05:19 AM

Having gone full circle, Rigby Rifles are now relocated in London and producing rifles using the Mauser 98L action. Before I travel up to the "Big Village" to see them, has anyone got any information/experience to offer regarding their current big bore rifles.

The last rifle they built for me was in 1979 (I'll post the story here one day) and I am sure much will have changed, not just their address.

--------------------
JH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: So Rigby Rifles are now back in London.... [Re: Rigby270]
      #254320 - 30/09/14 07:07 AM

JH

There has been a lot od discussion on this site surrounding the "New Rigbys.

Suggest you search here for all the latest information and comments.

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: So Rigby Rifles are now back in London.... [Re: paradox_]
      #254344 - 30/09/14 04:21 PM

Several threads on them.

John Rigby & Co of London now offer three different lines of Mauser 98 rifle.

1. The Big Game Rifle in .375 H&H and .416 Rigby and maybe a third chambering. I forget the last. This rifle was VERY successful and sold over a hundred rifles in only three months for Rigby and not long after another fifty were sold. Some members of NE feel the model lacks the lines of the classic Rigbys, but it is an excellent example of a modern big game hunting rifle.

I would have no trouble owning one of these and much in preference to many other modern commercial rifles such as Winchester, Remington, Savage, the modern European designs such as Blaser, Merkel, etc.

It is a Mauser 98 Big Game Rifle at an affordable price. Something the hunting world was crying out for, for decades.

2. The Classic or Vintage line. I will have to edit this and look up the range's title when I have time. These are probably the result of some of the comments of this forum. I was in contact with the MD of Rigby, Marc Newton, and he told me of this line to be released in the future. This would have been around May or June.

This range is designed to match the classic lines. I understand about one is sold for every hundred of the Big Game range. The BG rifle is just so popular with hunters wanting a user rifle for its price.

3. The London Best. These are bespoke / custom rifles.

4. Rigby Rising Bite Double Rifle - There was quite a number of Rigby Rising Bite double rifles under construction, nineteen or so I believe. At around one hundred thousand a pop for each of them, I think this shows the serious interest expected from customers.

So you can get virtually what you want, and what your wallet can afford.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rigby270
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/14
Loc: Sussex, England
Re: So Rigby Rifles are now back in London.... [Re: NitroX]
      #254375 - 01/10/14 03:55 AM

Thanks chaps,

John, It was Marc Newton I have been corresponding with. I asked for a copy of the chamber reamer drawing and your would have though I had asked for the combination of his office safe.

That said, he did explain that Mauser were the problem but he would pour a casting for me, if he couldn't get the drawing.

--------------------
JH

underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Re: So Rigby Rifles are now back in London.... [Re: Rigby270]
      #254414 - 01/10/14 07:12 PM

Had a run in with a real beauty of a genuine Rigby last month whilst in London. It occurred in The East End when my wife and I rocked up to a B&B and sat for a nice cup of tea with the owner.
She asked what I did for a job and told her the I engrave jewellery, knives, guns etc. She then related that her family had once been involved in the gun trade.
"Did your mob have a gun shop or something" I asked? She told me they not only had a few gun shops but they manufactured as well.
At this point I still only knew her by her first name, so of course the next question was what her surname was. " Rigby " was the reply. I almost fell off the lounge.
Then I thought it must be a gee up, as my daughter had booked it for us. But no, it was true. In a city of what, 7.5 million? I got to stay with a direct descendant of the founder of one of the great names in gun making.
We looked at family albums, brought her up to speed on the latest news regarding the Rigby guns, and know that the family still own a castle in Scotland that was purchased during the golden times.
So as I was lucky enough to find out through one of the greatest coincidences of my life, some Rigby's were in London all the time.
It was a very good, and most interesting, B&B.

Edited by underlever (01/10/14 07:20 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2377

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com