Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally....an Oberndorf

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Wurger
.275 member

Reged: 23/12/12
Loc: PA, USA
Finally....an Oberndorf
      #253833 - 21/09/14 12:39 PM

It has been modified, but the price was certainly right! While I have a few Mannlichers, I had never added an Original Oberndorf Sporter to my collection. This rifle shown below presented it's self and I couldn't resist. The purist will certainly note the modifications negatively affect the collector's value, but what I have (with a few minor additions) is a very usable field rifle which I do not need to unduly pamper while afoot.

It appears to be an all matching 1923-1924 manufactured rifle in "US 1906" (30-06) US chambering. Bolt has been modified for scope clearance. Receiver is drilled and tapped. Front sight has been replaced as has the rear sight. Rear sight base looks almost like a tangent sight base milled down (ugghh!) and dove-tailed for the new adjustable sight.(???) Trigger-guard serialed to rifle, as are the trigger parts and bolt shroud, also the stock. Stock has a 50's recoil pad, ugly as all but it sure was comfortable to shoot. The stock also has a rather ugly repair where a peep sight had been mounted. The included Weaver scope is in excellent condition. Bore has strong rifling with a hint of haze. Shooting produced 2" groups so the bore is at least not trashed.

Plans are to: (1)Replace recoil pad with a more up to date black solid unit. (2)Replace the weaver mounts and scope with Leupold bases and Leupold scope. (3)Shoot it to my hearts content being able to see the target clearly, having recoil tamed by the new recoil pad and most importantly having no guilt in taking it afield or in having performed said modifications since someone has already (unfortunately for collectability's sake) done them for me. Additionally, the rifle, including shipping, taxes and transfer was $492.00.

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/Tam-Tam_2007/library/Oberndorf?sort=9&page=1

Quote:

Edited by Wurger (22/09/14 01:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: Wurger]
      #253834 - 21/09/14 01:16 PM

Nice looking rifle. Great looking price!
Whats the caliber?

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Wurger
.275 member

Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #253835 - 21/09/14 01:39 PM

30-06 (I've added this info to my original post above)

Easy to reload for as I'm already well stocked with cases and .308 bullets. I really like the 8x57 chambering but most Oberndorfs I've seen for sale are the .318 variety which limits the bullet selection. Hawk bullets are the only ones I know of in the US.

When I first received the rifle, I checked headspace using a 30-06 NO-GO gauge. When the bolt fully closed, my heart sank a bit. After closer examination, I found that the bolt handle was contacting the stock before the action was completely closed. Carefully filing the stock allowed the bolt to fully lock. After that the NO-GO has slight resistance prior to closing, so it should easily pass with a field gauge. The prior owner probably had some problems with brass life if he reloaded for it.

Edited by Wurger (21/09/14 01:52 PM)

Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
      #253836 - 21/09/14 01:45 PM

Very nice looking little rifle. I'm betting it carries well. Use it like it was intended....burn the barrel out of it!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #253838 - 21/09/14 02:10 PM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #253854 - 21/09/14 11:29 PM

I am assuming that the photo showing the bolt handle is the "before" version, made prior to cutting the stock to allow the bolt to fully close. I don't see how the rifle could have been fired in the condition shown in the photo, since the bolt lugs would not be fully engaged and the striker would not fall all the way.

Considering the number of alterations already done, I don't think you should hesitate to make others which would make the rifle more useable, including relieving the stock until there is no contact between it and the bolt. The receiver may need to be relieved also. This can best be determined by removing tha barreled acttion from the stock and determining if the bolt turns through the entire 90 degrees when locking. If it fails to do so, some judicious filing or work with a Dremel tool is called for.

This should improve the accuracy as well.

Wurger
.275 member

Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: xausa]
      #253882 - 22/09/14 12:47 PM

Quote:

I am assuming that the photo showing the bolt handle is the "before" version, made prior to cutting the stock to allow the bolt to fully close. I don't see how the rifle could have been fired in the condition shown in the photo, since the bolt lugs would not be fully engaged and the striker would not fall all the way.

Considering the number of alterations already done, I don't think you should hesitate to make others which would make the rifle more useable, including relieving the stock until there is no contact between it and the bolt. The receiver may need to be relieved also. This can best be determined by removing tha barreled acttion from the stock and determining if the bolt turns through the entire 90 degrees when locking. If it fails to do so, some judicious filing or work with a Dremel tool is called for.

This should improve the accuracy as well.

First, Lancaster, thanks for posting the photos.

XAUSA, Yes, the photo showing the action is prior to the mentioned stock modification for bolt clearance. I hadn't realized that the photo so clearly showed the bolt root not seated down at 90 degrees until you mentioned it. Also, I'm surprised the firing pin dropped as well. It does have the safety lugs so perhaps the firing pin would not have protruded past the bolt face to touch off a primer. As such I had only fired the rifle after I determined the headspace was in specification.

I was just having a rummage for the brass I want to reload. I have a bunch of Federal once fired brass that I think I'll start with. My usual powder to start with is IMR 4064 but a also have a supply of Vit. N140 that I'd like to try. Need to dig up my reloading manuals and get started.

Wurger
.275 member

#253883 - 22/09/14 12:50 PM

Quote:

'Lancaster' using your format I was able to post a photo of the entire rifle, thanks.

Edited by Wurger (22/09/14 12:55 PM)

Wurger
.275 member

Re: Finally....an Oberndorf *DELETED* [Re: Wurger]
      #253887 - 22/09/14 01:08 PM

Post deleted by Wurger

Wurger
.275 member

#253888 - 22/09/14 01:09 PM

Quote:

Any opinions on the front sight hood? It fits loosely on the front sight ramp and doesn't appear correct. Looking through Speed's Oberndorf book, I see a Mauser sight hood of similar appearance. I'd doubt the owner would have kept an original sight hood while replacing both front and rear sights. but does anyone have an original Oberndorf sight hood for comparison?

Edited by Wurger (22/09/14 01:16 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #253889 - 22/09/14 01:41 PM

Wurger;

Neat rifle!

Have you slugged the bore?

Let us know what the dimensions are if you decide to do so. I for one have always wondered what the Mauser .30-06's actually mike at in both bore and groove. Could be interesting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #253890 - 22/09/14 03:41 PM

The ramp shown in your photo appears to be one made by the Williams Gun Sight Company. As far as I know, Oberndorf Mauser ramps were either integral, sweated on, or attached with a sleeve, like this one:

You are right. The front sight hood in the photo is not the correct one for a Williams ramp. They are available from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184126...=ProductFinding

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: xausa]
      #253893 - 22/09/14 06:06 PM

To me the front sight hood looks like an original Mauser one. Of course it does not fit on the narrow, non original Williams ramp.

kuduae
.400 member

#253899 - 22/09/14 08:51 PM

Quote:

plans are to: (1)Replace recoil pad with a more up to date black solid unit.

I would think twice before replacing the recoil pad! These red rubber "Jostam Anti Flinch" pads with the slant vents are quite "period" with the rifle, as they were availble well before WW2. They are quite often found on pre-war Mauser sporters. See f.i. Jon Speed's "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles", page 193. Afaik These recoil pads were offered by Mauser as a factory option. So it may be original to the rifle, other than the open sights.

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: kuduae]
      #253918 - 23/09/14 06:18 AM

I agree with kuduae. that sight hood looks to be genuine. If you don't want it I'll buy it. I need one for my Kurtz.

all the best

Wurger
.275 member

#253933 - 23/09/14 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

plans are to: (1)Replace recoil pad with a more up to date black solid unit.

I would think twice before replacing the recoil pad! These red rubber "Jostam Anti Flinch" pads with the slant vents are quite "period" with the rifle, as they were availble well before WW2. They are quite often found on pre-war Mauser sporters. See f.i. Jon Speed's "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles", page 193. Afaik These recoil pads were offered by Mauser as a factory option. So it may be original to the rifle, other than the open sights.

Ye-Gads!!!! It is a Jostam pad. Never even thought it might be original. It has patent dates of 1914, 1915 and 1927 printed on it. I just assumed it was a Pachmyer pad from the 50's. Who would have thought?

Do you know of any of the current reprint Mauser catalogs that shows this option?

Wurger
.275 member

Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: sbs470]
      #253934 - 23/09/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

I agree with kuduae. that sight hood looks to be genuine. If you don't want it I'll buy it. I need one for my Kurtz.

all the best

I was thinking of looking for an original sight base to replace the one I have in which case I could use the hood.

If I decide to part with it, what type of value range might this hood be in?

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
      #253941 - 23/09/14 07:18 PM

Wurger PM sent
sbs470

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: sbs470]
      #253942 - 23/09/14 08:10 PM

Quote:

Do you know of any of the current reprint Mauser catalogs that shows this option?

In Jon Speeds book "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" in page 193 is fotos of factory-engraved Model S carbine Mauser 98 which seems to have bespoken model recoil pad.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

kuduae
.400 member

#253943 - 23/09/14 08:59 PM

[quoteDo you know of any of the current reprint Mauser catalogs that shows this option?

AFAIK the old Mauser catalogs don't show these pads in pics. They just mention "Weichgummikolbenkappe" = "soft rubber butt pads" among the special order factory options. Jon Speed's books show photos of several Jostam recoil pads on original Mausers. Not only the "Anti-Flinch", but their "Hy-Gun", "Air Cushion" and "No-Kick" models as well.
Note, I did not write "certainly factory original". It may be factory original or a contemporary aftermarket add on. At least, it is much more "period" than the American open sights, the Weaver scope mounts, the altered bolt handle, the low safety. So it is the last item I would bother to change.

Wurger
.275 member

#254166 - 28/09/14 08:45 AM

Is there a source for a front sight ramp that would be a replacement for the original
Mauser factory sight? The aftermarket one in the rifle is ok but it is actually a bit crooked! Even if I never intend to use the sight, it would drive me nuts seeing it was off center. I have some nice Lyman banded front sight bases that I will use if I can't find one that looks close to an Oberndorf model.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #254201 - 28/09/14 11:33 PM

Could send you an original Oberndorf front sight ramp (the one that must be soldered on-no ring) if you will pay the shipping to the USA.
If interested PM me.

Wurger
.275 member

Re: Finally....an Oberndorf [Re: justcurious]
      #254221 - 29/09/14 12:58 PM

Thanks for the generous offer. I'm not sure I'd want to solder one on though. I want something that makes the rifle look appropriate. Let me think on it. If the original tangent sight was still intact I'd definetly have to have an original ramp, soldered or otherwise.

I'm also working on buying new Leupold bases and rings for mounting a new Leupold scope I have.

When I get a chance, I want to pull off the existing front sight and slide on my Lynan banded ramp to see how that would work out. I'll know better then if I want to go the rout of mounting an original ramp or if I'd be happy with the Lyman.

Wurger
.275 member

#254635 - 05/10/14 03:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any opinions on the front sight hood? It fits loosely on the front sight ramp and doesn't appear correct. Looking through Speed's Oberndorf book, I see a Mauser sight hood of similar appearance. I'd doubt the owner would have kept an original sight hood while replacing both front and rear sights. but does anyone have an original Oberndorf sight hood for comparison?

Happened to be paging through the Oberndorf Sporting Rifles book last night and saw this drawing. All dimensions match, so it seems I received a bonus in obtaining an original hood with the rifle. It fits loosely on the Marbles front sight base so I think I will keep a hold of it in case I end up buying another Oberndorf Mauser which I could use it on. They don't seem to be common on rifles I've seen for sale.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7157

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com