Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
3000 yd shot attempt in Australia..
      #253350 - 09/09/14 06:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64u0O-pCBaU

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: Ripp]
      #253351 - 09/09/14 06:38 AM

I'm surprised he didn't go for a group once he got the condition.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: tinker]
      #253352 - 09/09/14 07:28 AM

Quote:

I thought the same thing...

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #253357 - 09/09/14 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the same thing...

Ripp

Same. I would of gone for at least 3 on.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: Rule303]
      #253389 - 10/09/14 01:18 AM

YES- 3 on out of 5, would have been nice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: DarylS]
      #253485 - 12/09/14 02:57 PM

Amazing shooting. I think he didn't shoot more as he was already frustrated by the lead up to the first successful one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: NitroX]
      #253486 - 12/09/14 02:58 PM

BTW that is the way I like to see internet extreme long rang shooting, on a target, not on wild game.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#253500 - 12/09/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

BTW that is the way I like to see internet extreme long rang shooting, on a target, not on wild game.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider long range?? Just curious is all...

Over here it is NOT uncommon to pop prairie-dogs at 4-500 yards and at times much further than that...shots on elk and mule deer , 3-400 yards is not uncommon. Same for antelope..

Think it is interesting to get different perspectives on what people consider long range??

thx

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #253519 - 13/09/14 05:14 PM

I would consider 300 to 400mts on most game to be long range, well for me. I do understand that in some places and some game 300 might be as close as you can get to game. On dangerous game anything over 75yd I would consider long range.

I dont have any problems with 300mt shots on game other than DG but 500 mts is too far for large game. Fire the shot and animal can move enough for a wounded animal to result. Just my thoughts.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: Rule303]
      #253536 - 14/09/14 12:27 PM

My limit would be 200m largely because I know where the rifle/s shoots out to this distance - this corresponds with the longest distance I use at the rifle range.

I do know a guy who shoots deer at 700m with a 338RUM - he is a much better shot than me of course.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#253557 - 15/09/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what do you consider long range?? Just curious is all...

Over here it is NOT uncommon to pop prairie-dogs at 4-500 yards and at times much further than that...shots on elk and mule deer , 3-400 yards is not uncommon. Same for antelope..

Think it is interesting to get different perspectives on what people consider long range??

thx

Ripp

No set standard for me. But if for example that guy was shooting at an animal at 3000 yards and he wounds an animal it should IMO be regarded a cruelty and an offence, as it is highly likely a miss or a wound would result. A kill would just be luck. Of course he is shooting at a steel plate and it is just good fun and a test of incredible shooting and accuracy.

In the "old days" it was common to encounter clowns selling a rifle, "this .308 Winchester" will easily and regularly kill goats to 800 yards ...". You knew you were talking to an idiot.

The point is most guys think 200 yards is a lot further than it really is. 400 yards is a hell of a long way. 600 yards is over the horizon ...

Rangefinders help these days and also aid better trajectory estimation.

Most of my 'trophy' kills have been at 150 yards or a lot less. Many of the feral kills have been further away. Why the difference? Maybe some factors include: trophy fees lost if wounding; wanting to make a clean kill shot on an important animal. Ferals are often shot in larger numbers and sometimes you try to kill a whole herd.

I think the longest shots at a herd of feral goats was about 400 yards away. Crossing a cliff face on a track, I had a rest on my daypack. I shot each one as it crossed the cliff, it fell off the cliff. Until I wounded one, and it lay below bleating. It took a number of shots and also getting closer to kill it.

The longest shot I have taken and a miss was at maybe 600 or 700 metres at a animal with a 7 mm STW. A friend's rifle, he urged me to take the shot.

In some places like plains and mountains a longer shot might be necessary and also where it may be the only opportunity. I can understand people doing this when necessary.

These extreme long range shots at game in the videos we see from time to time, why can't the guys stalk closer and actually hunt? In most cases it would be perfectly possible. Instead they choose to risk wounding and loosing the animal, say 800 yards away, and 800 yards of effort and time to get close to where the shot was taken before follow up can even be tried. Plus almost no chance of a second shot on a wounded animal at extreme long range. My reasons for not liking it.

The videos of the wounded game are almost never posted on these videos of people trying to sell their LR rifles, scopes or whatever. The guy shooting at 300 yds could easily have only shown the bullseye hit on the target, but is an honest guy.

As for long range practice on say woodchucks or rabbits or varmints with a big rifle. Usually any hit is a killer so good practice.

Just my thoughts and some comments in answer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (15/09/14 04:40 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#253578 - 16/09/14 05:22 AM

John,

Think you have hit the nail on the head..think the reason the people are shooting at the long ranges and doing what they do is they are selling a "package"..

I went to a school a few months back hosted by one of the groups that does the tv shows..we shot at 400,850 and 975 yards the first and second day..and with their directions and equipment, it really was not that hard to hit the targets at those distances..BUT, this is way different than shooting at game. I agree with you..don't think it is fair or the proper thing to do shooting at animals 1000 yards away..or more..

They are selling, as you stated, the expensive rifle, scope, rangefinder and everything else to JOE BLOW off the street who automatically things all he as to do is buy this stuff and he too can shoot game at 1000 yards. Can say it can help, but it will not make you a great shot or great hunter.

It is not uncommon for people here to shoot elk out to 400 yards..usually closer but some further..the people that live here and are use to the distance dont really think much of it..but the guided hunt clients that come from areas where that distance seems reallllly long, can be quite intimidating..

Ripp

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#253587 - 16/09/14 08:43 AM

With all the gear and a little wind and no experience you're stuffed before you close the bolt.
Same if the buck farts while the bullet's on it's way.

400 yards is common here in the high desert.
Closer is great.
Like Ripp notes most folks who give a damn can tell the difference between a good shot and a good chance.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#253590 - 16/09/14 02:47 PM

I know I need to practice my longer range shooting a fair amount. Out of practice. I mean say up to 400 yards, maybe a few shots longer just for fun. From field positions, no benches. No wind flags. Maybe a range finder binocs seeing I have them now.

When you give it a try on paper, it is amazing how bad one really is. At first at least.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tinker
.416 member

#253591 - 16/09/14 03:17 PM

Practice on long shots has a humbling effect.
Gives a guy good reason to work on his stalking skills.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#253592 - 16/09/14 03:26 PM

What I am finding really useful for accurate shooting, is my Mauser M03's set trigger. I use it now way too much. It is extremely light. Head shooting rabbits many days a week at the moment, provides a lot of good accuracy practice. Except it is often made harder when sitting on my quad bike with my dog leaning on my back and making it so much harder! Doubles or triples the variations on the reticle. Then shoot the rabbits, often thinking I missed because it runs away. Then find a tiny little baby rabbit torn apart on the ground. Thought is was bigger than that ... Shot a few does with the .222 in the brain last week for meat. Again used the set trigger a couple of times, again let one round off too early I thought, but perfect brain shot. The danger of these super light triggers is they can go off unexpectedly when aiming if one is not careful.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#253609 - 16/09/14 11:09 PM

Quote:

What I am finding really useful for accurate shooting, is my Mauser M03's set trigger. I use it now way too much. It is extremely light. Head shooting rabbits many days a week at the moment, provides a lot of good accuracy practice. Except it is often made harder when sitting on my quad bike with my dog leaning on my back and making it so much harder! Doubles or triples the variations on the reticle. Then shoot the rabbits, often thinking I missed because it runs away. Then find a tiny little baby rabbit torn apart on the ground. Thought is was bigger than that ... Shot a few does with the .222 in the brain last week for meat. Again used the set trigger a couple of times, again let one round off too early I thought, but perfect brain shot. The danger of these super light triggers is they can go off unexpectedly when aiming if one is not careful.

I have a little CZ in .204 with a set trigger..it does take a little to get use too..everyone who shoots it for the first time shoots before they intend too. Even after I warn them repeatedly that it is incredibly light compared to a normal trigger pull..but really like them for longer shots and with that light recoiling caliber can watch the hits normally through the scope..really puts the hammer down on prairie dogs ..blows them in half at times depending on the hit..does well on coyotes as well..but have to really watch the wind with that light caliber..

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #253828 - 21/09/14 10:49 AM

Perspective and knowing your limitations are pretty important. Most of my rifle shooting has been limited to 200yds and I feel comfortable taking shots at this range. I finally got my membership in a range (it took two years on a waiting list) that has a 600yd rifle range. First impression looking at it without having fired a shot, "damn that's a long way out there." It should be fun learning how to stretch the distance out that far.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 3000 yd shot attempt in Australia.. [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #253841 - 21/09/14 05:21 PM

One MOA is Thirty Inches at that range. Irrespective of wind or trajectory estimations.

If a kill zone can normally be estimated as a twelve inch circle, that's less than half an MOA.

One would want a large target.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4418

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com