Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best caliber for DR with scope?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Best caliber for DR with scope?
      #25345 - 29/01/05 04:28 AM

I'm looking for a medium bore that is managable with a scope. I'm thinking 416/500 or maybe 450/400. The 375f or 9.3x74r are not enough as an all round, hunt everything rifle, so I'll eliminate them right off. Any suggestions?

I'm going to order a boxlock searcy with the talley R+B's. The other question is do I order it with false sideplates or the tear drop option?

These are problems I can really sink my teeth in.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Best caliber for DR with scope? [Re: Rell]
      #25346 - 29/01/05 04:59 AM

Rell,

Sounds like the "scope" is your first choice and caliber second. In all honesty I'd say the 375F is a great all around cartridge and manegable with a scope. I have a .375H&H double that I'd not feel under guned on DG.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #25348 - 29/01/05 05:49 AM

In reply to:

The other question is do I order it with false sideplates or the tear drop option?

This is of course a matter of personal taste, but since you asked I'll tell you my veiw!

I'm not very fond of false sideplates for the simple reason that I feel they try to make the gun into something it isn't. Either it's a sidelock or it isn't, and although false sideplates give you room to have engravings done, they just don't do it for me. I'd rather enjoy the gun as it really is if you know what I mean. Maybe it's silly, but the side plates being fake kind of brings an otherwise good gun down a bit IMO. No matter who made it.

Btw, I see Searcy has a new look to his website!

Erik

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #25349 - 29/01/05 06:30 AM

When I bought my double it came with a scope for each set of barrels. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to fire the 470 with a scope on it.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #25352 - 29/01/05 07:00 AM

It'll cost more, but I sure would try to talk you out of the Talley's on a DR (a little "untraditional" to the lines of a good double.)

Look at the new swarovski with the built in mounting rail and consider the Recknagel Claw Mounts.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #25375 - 29/01/05 09:38 AM

rrell

I have both, a 400 3 1/4 and a 9.3x74R with scopes. I like them both but if something heavy was on the table I would opt for the 400. If it was not available I would not feel terribly at risk with the 9.3.

I am not sure if I would like any more power in a rifle than that for a scope. Handling and fit are critical when the rifle becomes heavier and recoil goes up.

I agree with Eric. Sideplates seem out of place on a boxlock and I have yet to see any that are not obviously sideplates.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Best caliber for DR with scope? [Re: mickey]
      #25505 - 01/02/05 09:55 AM

Mickey and EricD,

Ditto, ditto, ditto on the false sideplates for the very reasons you have said.

A well-made boxlock is a thing of beauty for what it is. Why make it look like something it's not?

All my opinion. Obviously some people think differently, and I respect their right to see beauty in other forms from my taste. That's the fun of it all. And to conclude my remarks, I want to emphasize to rrell that his choice should be based on his concept of beauty. The false sideplates are strictly cosmetic, after all. If you like them, go for them. I have seen people spend gobs of $$$ to custom fit them on Ruger #1's.

Regards,
CptCurl

I just had a thought after posting, so these comments are added by way of edit.

The classic SxS boxlock, which has now become the standard of the world, was perfected by Anson and Deeley while in the employ of Westley Richards. I don't think I have ever seen a Westley Richards boxlock, whether rifle or shotgun, that had false sideplates.

Curl

Second edit:

And by the way, If you have doubts about the beauty of a best quality boxlock, just look at the backdrop picture for this forum - a Westley Richards, if I'm not mistaken, and a real beauty!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Edited by CptCurl (01/02/05 10:02 AM)

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Best caliber for DR with scope? [Re: CptCurl]
      #25516 - 01/02/05 02:55 PM

Ok I'm convinced on the side plates I'll leave them off, I do like those tear drops though. As to the mounts I'm still leaning towards the talleys, but I'll talk to Butch at searcy first.

Now for caliber; 450/400 3 1/4, 450/400 3, 416/500, or 375 flanged? Is the 416/500 managable with a scope? Wich has better availability of components? wich has better performance on a scoped DR? And what about resale value, I'm not planning on selling but...?

I've got to get this right and it's not like going down to the local gun store and looking at a remington.

Rell

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #25520 - 01/02/05 03:30 PM

No one can speak for you but if those were my choices I would go for either the 375 Flanged or the 400 Jeffery. For resale I think either would suffice.

The 375 would be a better N. American type rifle and the 400 a better Africa rifle. Either could be scoped but if you go with Tally's you will pay in the resale. If you cannot get claw mounts than look at the ERA quick detaches.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Best caliber for DR with scope? [Re: CptCurl]
      #25524 - 01/02/05 06:12 PM

In reply to:

just look at the backdrop picture for this forum - a Westley Richards, if I'm not mistaken, and a real beauty!

100% correct.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #25691 - 05/02/05 02:48 PM

I would go with one of the 450/400's. Have the rifle regulated with 71.5 grains if RL 15 and a 400 Woodleigh Soft. [Federal 215 primers and a foam filler.]
Then get some Hawk 300 grain .035jkt bullets for deer sized game [and leopard]. Try them with the same powder charge as the 400 grainers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 2638

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com